Canada Kicks Ass
Viral infections and computer help.

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9 ... 12  Next

Yogi @ Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:11 am

Going to try to back up everything to my external 'Free Agent'. Looks like another puter is in my future since I left my Laptop at my sons house. If this one goes down then I will be incommunicado!
I just use a puter for browsing, email, invoicing etc. What system and requirements would you reccomend. I do like XP cuz I started out with that and went back and forth with 98 SE. Vista on my laptop but I really don't like it. So I guess I will have to go with Windows 7 or 8. I'm thinking of just goin to a puter shop and just picking up a used one which is already set up.

DrCaleb @ Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:22 am

Yogi Yogi:
So I guess I will have to go with Windows 7 or 8. I'm thinking of just goin to a puter shop and just picking up a used one which is already set up.

Windows 7, and you better hurry! Microsoft will stop licensing Windows 7 to OEMS Tomrrow!!. After that, you'll be stuck with Windows 8.1.

I installed that once. Never will inflict that on anyone again.

Tyler_1 @ Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:26 am

It's handy to make a partition because then when things start going wrong you can just press make it how it was without losing your stuff. Only works if your hard drive isn't broken so sorry I can't help Yogi. :D

BartSimpson @ Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:27 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Yogi Yogi:
So I guess I will have to go with Windows 7 or 8. I'm thinking of just goin to a puter shop and just picking up a used one which is already set up.

Windows 7, and you better hurry! Microsoft will stop licensing Windows 7 to OEMS Tomrrow!!. After that, you'll be stuck with Windows 8.1.

I installed that once. Never will inflict that on anyone again.

Naw, you can still buy Win 7 OEM disks on E-Bay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... l&_sacat=0

andyt @ Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:28 am

Is Windows 10 out? Probably better to skip to that.

BartSimpson @ Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:30 am

andyt andyt:
Is Windows 10 out? Probably better to skip to that.

It'll be out sometime in the spring or summer of 2015. Microsoft is still doing beta testing on how people react to the mixed Start menu with the goddam Metro tiles mixed in.

Of course, I'm perfectly neutral on the subject. :mrgreen:

Winnipegger @ Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:27 am

Yogi Yogi:
What system and requirements would you reccomend. I do like XP cuz I started out with that and went back and forth with 98 SE. Vista on my laptop but I really don't like it. So I guess I will have to go with Windows 7 or 8. I'm thinking of just goin to a puter shop and just picking up a used one which is already set up.

If your computer has a Microsoft product key sticker for XP, then you can re-install. Just get an XP disk, or download an XP disk image and burn a CD. You can activate XP, but you have to upgrade IE to at least 7 first. The XP installation disk gives you IE 6. The latest IE you can install on XP is 8, so may as well do that. Once XP is activated, you can download updates. Microsoft doesn't write many more updates for XP, but you can download all updates they have written.

Many websites won't work with IE 8, or won't work right. But you can install Firefox on XP, and it is up to date.

Yogi @ Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:33 am

Winnipegger Winnipegger:
Yogi Yogi:
What system and requirements would you reccomend. I do like XP cuz I started out with that and went back and forth with 98 SE. Vista on my laptop but I really don't like it. So I guess I will have to go with Windows 7 or 8. I'm thinking of just goin to a puter shop and just picking up a used one which is already set up.

If your computer has a Microsoft product key sticker for XP, then you can re-install. Just get an XP disk, or download an XP disk image and burn a CD. You can activate XP, but you have to upgrade IE to at least 7 first. The XP installation disk gives you XP 6. The latest IE you can install on XP is 8, so may as well do that. Once XP is activated, you can download updates. Microsoft doesn't write many more updates for XP, but you can download all updates they have written.

Many websites won't work with IE 8, or won't work right. But you can install Firefox on XP, and it is up to date.

It does have the key sticker. I have an xp disk so I'll try that. Thanks again for the info.

BartSimpson @ Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:51 am

Yogi, Looking through my stuff I have a valid 32-bit Windows 7 OEM you can have if you want. All of my gear is now 64-bit so I have no need for it and if you can use it then all's the better.

herbie @ Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:57 am

Don't.
XP on a new computer is a stupid idea. If you buy one off the shelf, you'll get windows 8.1. Not a fucking hope in hell of Windows7.
Put Classic Shell on it.
Works better than anything else.

Yogi @ Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:57 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Yogi, Looking through my stuff I have a valid 32-bit Windows 7 OEM you can have if you want. All of my gear is now 64-bit so I have no need for it and if you can use it then all's the better.

I'm up for that, Bart. Thanks. [B-o]

Yogi @ Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:58 am

herbie herbie:
Don't.
XP on a new computer is a stupid idea. If you buy one off the shelf, you'll get windows 8.1. Not a fucking hope in hell of Windows7.
Put Classic Shell on it.

What is 'Classic Shell'? Never heard of it!

PluggyRug @ Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:03 am

Yogi Yogi:
herbie herbie:
Don't.
Put Classic Shell on it.

What is 'Classic Shell'? Never heard of it!

Makes 8.1 look like 7.

Yogi @ Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:29 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Yogi Yogi:
Winnipegger Winnipegger:

The good news is if you do it RIGHT NOW, then none of that is necessary. It's easy. Just need a diagnostic program to confirm it's the hard drive. If it is, then you need a new hard drive, and a disk or USB stick with a cloning program. That's it. Easy.

Great info. Thanks a lot Winnipeger. I'll be backing up my HD today. [B-o]

In addition - right now copy "My Documents" to a USB stick. HDD failures can occur without warning, so the fact you got one is a lucky stroke. The drive may not last long enough to survive a diagnostic, so save what you can as fast as you can - just in case.

We lost a 40TB NAS yesterday, right out of the blue. Luckily, we had another identical 40TB NAS that we use a mirror in chase the first one died. 8)

Was able to back up everything to Freeagent 320gb. None too soon I suspect as this puter is starting to freeze up and moving awful slow.

herbie @ Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:16 pm

Yogi Yogi:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I'm up for that, Bart. Thanks. [B-o]

The code will work for either 32 or 64 bit. You can find OEMs online, just need the key.
Another DON'T: DON'T install 32 bit version unless your computer's so damn old only 32bit will work AND you get it for free.
\
Buy a new computer. It's almost Christmas, ya deserve one right?

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9 ... 12  Next