Canada Kicks Ass
Windows 10 is now a 'recommended update'

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  Next

desertdude @ Fri May 20, 2016 12:16 pm

P.S : Threads like this one actually prevented me form upgrading earlier. So before upgrading I made sure I could go back to 7 if I had to and created a restore point and backed up whatever I needed just in case. And I actually did go back to 7 once just to check if it worked. And it did.

So people should try it for a while before they start slagging it. You can use it for few weeks and still go back to your old OS so there is nothing to lose actually.

BartSimpson @ Fri May 20, 2016 12:20 pm

desertdude desertdude:
I have nothing to hide, they can monitor my internet habits all they want and I actually prefer targeted advertisements and many times I've found very useful stuff from them rather than miracle drugs to enlarge your schlong all over the place.

This site itself has advertisments, so what? I understand the owner of this site needs to make money and thats just fine by me. The internet today is basically funded by advs and too is fine by me.

I find this integrated experience quite handy. When I got a new phone I didn't have import all my contacts, msgs, pics, set it up the way I want to etc etc, like before. All I had to do was log in using my MS id and rest was taken care of.

If you're so paranoid, maybe you shouldn't be using computers at all, specially the internet.

You're just a more trusting individual than I am.

PluggyRug @ Fri May 20, 2016 1:03 pm

Just go back to DOS or CPM. 8)

herbie @ Fri May 20, 2016 3:40 pm

Just ran into a shop owner who still uses Lotus 123... wahhh my XP box is...
I've been telling him to convert for over a decade, he never will.

Winnipegger @ Fri May 20, 2016 11:57 pm

My sister's husband had provided IT support for his cousin. He got tired of it, so referred him to me. This customer still ran Windows 98SE, with accounting software written for it. He didn't want to change accounting software. His accountant does year-end statements and taxes, asked him to switch to a more modern accounting package. I just fixed his computer, but ensured it could be upgraded to easily to XP. His regular business desktop runs Windows 7, so ensured his accounting computer could also be upgraded to Windows 7. Would require a larger hard drive and more memory, but could be done.

Small business does not like to change their accounting systems.

raydan @ Sat May 21, 2016 4:30 am

Even large companies... some of them are still using COBOL. 8O

andyt @ Wed May 25, 2016 10:16 pm

Sneaky, sneaky. I had uninstalled KB3035583 and hidden it next time it tried to upload a few days ago. Today, it was back as an optional update, had been removed from the hidden update list. It's enough to make you go Mac. Almost.

DrCaleb @ Thu May 26, 2016 5:31 am

andyt andyt:
Sneaky, sneaky. I had uninstalled KB3035583 and hidden it next time it tried to upload a few days ago. Today, it was back as an optional update, had been removed from the hidden update list. It's enough to make you go Mac. Almost.

Microsoft got burned because the Update Notification actually scheduled the update when you closed it, rather than cancelling the update. They've '0backtracked' by adding yet another popup that will no doubt be misleading.

Microsoft U-turn on 'nasty trick' pop-up

andyt @ Thu May 26, 2016 5:41 am

Things getting very strange. I checked hidden updates, computer said I had none, even tho there should be 3 including the win 10 one. Ran check updates, then checked hidden updates again. This time it said there were 4, including two copies of KB303.... where yesterday there had only been one. Spooky.

herbie @ Thu May 26, 2016 9:23 am

So you spent even more time preventing the upgrade.
Just completed two for a client, one where her Lenovo just did it on it's own while she was watching a movie. The other had problems cuz the idiot who took over my old business is still installing one of those 'miracle all-in-one' cure everything programs. It blocked chunks of the upgrade itself and missed dozens of pups and malware.
You just can't run Windows without checking for new drivers 1,000 times a second, eh?
Driver programs for those who like to crash.
Speed boosters for the slow-witted.
Helper programs for the helpless.
Toolbars for complete tools.
Screensavers for those stuck on Win95.

andyt @ Thu May 26, 2016 9:38 am

blah, blah blah. Nothing wrong with MS offering this upgrade for people who want it. But pushing on people who don't is not OK. As I said, when I buy a new computer it will have 10 on it, but for this one, leave me the fuck alone.

DrCaleb @ Thu May 26, 2016 10:24 am

andyt andyt:
blah, blah blah. Nothing wrong with MS offering this upgrade for people who want it. But pushing on people who don't is not OK. As I said, when I buy a new computer it will have 10 on it, but for this one, leave me the fuck alone.

I think it should be a no-brainer since Microsoft backed down*, that they know a lot of people feel this way.

*whether it was an actual step back from taking over people's computers without permission is yet to be seen.

herbie @ Thu May 26, 2016 10:26 am

Say again, Windows users should be used to pissing time away, so why waste more?
Upgrade to Win10
Update windows
update antivirus
scan for viruses, scan for malware
upgrade to paid version. nag nag nag
update drivers
update adobe shit
update java
Endless shit popping up in your face to click away. And important shit popping up behind you don't see.

Finish what you're doing on a Mac, there's sometimes a window underneath "You want to install updates now your done?"...
You really sound like someone who'd appreciate less of the Windows BS.

DrCaleb @ Thu May 26, 2016 10:36 am

herbie herbie:
You really sound like someone who'd appreciate less of the Windows BS.

Microsoft in the Home and Microsoft in the Enterprise seem to be two completely different companies. If they pulled the same BS with Enterprise customers as they do with Home customers, a lot more companies would be looking for alternatives as well.

I would have switched away from they years ago, except that I'm a gamer and have no choice but to use Windows in some form.

In the Enterprise, most of my job right now is to migrate stuff away from Microsoft's ever restrictive and expensive licensing, and move toward Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Microsoft wants a license for each *core* you run their products on, and a license on each core for each product. One core, Running Windows server, WSUS and SQL? Three licenses!

Red Hat licenses the host. One host, 4 processors, 36 cores each ? One license. No 'because it's in your EULA, we can do what we want' bullshit. 8)

BRAH @ Thu May 26, 2016 11:01 am

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
Just go back to DOS or CPM. 8)

DOS is awesome.

Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  Next