Canada Kicks Ass
Windows to Mac?

1  2  3  Next

Toro @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:42 pm

I am tired of all the issues with Windows, particularly the security stuff. So, for the first time I am considering buying a Mac.

Has anyone gone from Windows to Mac? If so, what has been your experience? What are the strengths and weaknesses of Mac? I have heard there are issues with streaming videos and games.

Zoraja @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:50 pm

Ive never had issues with streaming videos, and most games will work on a MAc, but I will admit there are some you cannot play.

Honestly, it is really easy to use, it just takes a bit of getting used to. There are a lot of handy little features that you will like and then if you try to go back to windows it will make you want to cry (as I did a few days ago)

xerxes @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:51 pm

I went the other way but a good friend of mine made the switch from Windows to Mac and he didn't have too many problems.

The big difference is obviously, the differences in the OS and the interface.

As for security, Macs are better than Windows but only because hackers and virus makers have focused on Windows more than Macs simply because they get more bang for the buck that way.

Zoraja @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:53 pm

Thats actually not true, macs come with a lot more security protocols built in than windows does. There has not yet been one virus for teh current mac os. Not that there have not been few tries, they jsut were not successful.

Tricks @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:55 pm

Zoraja Zoraja:
Thats actually not true, macs come with a lot more security protocols built in than windows does. There has not yet been one virus for teh current mac os. Not that there have not been few tries, they jsut were not successful.
Because Windows holds like 98% of the market share. Why go after Mac when so few people use it? Tell me, if mac is so secure, why don't massive businesses use it more?

Canadaka @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:13 pm

$1:
most games will work on a MAc

because there are no games for mac.

Apple just realised a large patc that fixed hundreds of holes in OSX, it has security problems to, its just because they don't have the massive market share its not in the news or targeted as much.

I would not 'switch' to MAC ever.
Only 1.5% of all Visitors to Canadaka.net in 2006 were Mac users.

Schleihauf @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:20 pm

I would switch to Mac but gaming sucks on Macs. I hate Windows though, I feel like my computer has alzheimers. So until Mac becomes gamer friendly
I will continue to use Windows.

LightStarr @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:23 pm

It really depends what you want to do.

I'd go with a mac if I was working on video/audio editing.

I'd go PC/Windows if I wanted to game.

Zoraja @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:28 pm

People are afraid o f change thats why they don't change to macs. If you don't understand something you will stick with what you will stick with wha t works rather than trying something new because you cannot evaluate the possible consequences.

dog77_1999 @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:41 pm

Zoraja Zoraja:
People are afraid o f change thats why they don't change to macs. If you don't understand something you will stick with what you will stick with wha t works rather than trying something new because you cannot evaluate the possible consequences.

Or there isn't as much software support on the macs. If macs could play games, I would definatly consider it. However, macs are good for video/web browsing if that is what you want to do.

Tricks @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:01 pm

Zoraja Zoraja:
Mac users are considered to be people who can't use windows because they don't have the know how. So you have that one backwards.

LightStarr @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:06 pm

Easy boys. No need to get fanboyish on people. Both have their good points. Tis true, I love to use a mac when I edit video, photo or audio, but the PC is what I like to use when I want to game.

Zoraja @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:22 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Zoraja Zoraja:
Mac users are considered to be people who can't use windows because they don't have the know how. So you have that one backwards.

You must know some extremely idiotic people then beucase I have never met a mac user who could not use a pc.

Toro @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:39 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:
I would not 'switch' to MAC ever.

Why is that Trevor?

Tricks Tricks:

One of the reasons why I'm considering a Mac is because a good friend of mine, who is a IT network hardware professional who runs the data center for a small business and a government agency, has been telling me to get one for a decade. He uses them at home though he works on PCs all day at work. And that's a big reason why he likes Macs - because he has to deal with problems on PCs all day long. He believed so strongly in Macs, he became a part-time rep for Apple, even as he was still working in the data center.

Tricks @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:45 pm

Zoraja Zoraja:
Tricks Tricks:
Zoraja Zoraja:

You must know some extremely idiotic people then beucase I have never met a mac user who could not use a pc.
You mean like people on this board?

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
kal kal:
themasta themasta:
Once you go Mac, you never go back. In fact, the thought of ever wanting to go back is so far removed from your mind that the very idea of not using a Mac seems foreign and archaic.

That's because you lose all true skills on how to actually use a computer, that the very idea of it scares you :P

Amen. I handle support calls and the Mac users typically are very, very ignorant of even the most basic terms and procedures especially when it comes to home WLAN - these jerkwits think that it magically sets itself up and they have not the foggiest idea what SSID, WEP, or telnet are even though they absolutely have to use these features to make WLAN work.

So they ignorantly attempt to do something that requires a modicum of knowledge and skill which they don't have.

Sorry, but to me Apples are the computers you give to people who don't know how to use computers.

Ah, the term hit me: Apples are what Fisher-Price would make if they made computers.

http://www.canadaka.net/modules.php?nam ... c&start=30

1  2  3  Next