Canada Kicks Ass
Omnibus RIP Thread

Previous  1 ... 25  26  27  28  29  30  31 ... 36  Next

Strutz @ Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:34 am

Sad to hear about her passing yesterday. I somehow thought she was younger than that.

RIP Kirstie.

There was this one as well:

Bob McGrath, original cast member on Sesame Street, dead at 90
He was on that show from 1969 until 2017, which is incredible actually.

herbie @ Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:22 pm

Sad, I think that's where my wife got my daughters name from. We watched Cheers all the time back then.

Strutz @ Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:17 pm

Top-selling Canadian cookbook author Jean Paré dies in Edmonton at age 95

$1:
Jean Paré, a farm girl from a small village in rural Alberta, and who gained worldwide fame for her Company's Coming cookbook series, has died.

Paré died in Edmonton on Christmas Eve aged 95.

Raised in Irma, Alta., located about 180 kilometres east of Edmonton, Paré and her family built a three-generation publishing company where she authored more than 200 Company's Coming cookbooks. 

By the time she retired in 2011, an estimated 30 million copies had been sold.

Quite impressive. I don't have any of her books but I certainly was familiar with them.

Strutz @ Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:15 pm

Brazilian soccer legend Pelé, winner of record 3 World Cups, dead at 82

xerxes @ Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:16 pm

RIP to one of the greatest who ever played the game. He truly made it the beautiful game.

Scape @ Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:12 pm

Legendary journalist Barbara Walters, who interviewed many world leaders, died at the age of 93

DrCaleb @ Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:31 pm

R=EM

xerxes @ Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:12 pm

Damn. One of the best around. RIP.

Strutz @ Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:48 pm

RIP Barbara. You paved the way for women in broadcasting.

Earlier today on whatever TV channel we were watching they were doing a review on celebrities lost in 2022 and I commented to my partner that they should wait a few days before they do that because there are still 2 days to go...

xerxes @ Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:40 pm

xerxes @ Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:27 am

Ken Block dies in snowmobile accident

$1:
Pro rally driver Ken Block, who later became an internet sensation with his daring stunts behind the wheel, died aged 55 after a snowmobile accident, his team Hoonigan Racing said.

“It’s with our deepest regrets that we can confirm that Ken Block passed away in a snowmobile accident today,” Hoonigan said in a statement on posted to Instagram on Monday.

“Ken was a visionary, a pioneer and an icon. And most importantly, a father and husband. He will be incredibly missed.”

The accident occurred in Utah’s Wasatch County. The local Sheriff’s Office said that Block was riding on a steep slope when the snowmobile upended and landed on top of him.

“He was pronounced deceased at the scene from injuries sustained in the accident,” they said in a statement, adding that he was riding in a group but was alone when the accident occurred.

Having begun his rallying career in 2005, Block was named Rookie of the Year in the Rally America Championship. He competed in the World Rally Championship and won several rallycross medals at the X Games.

The American also co-founded sportswear company DC Shoes and produced the Gymkhana video series, which featured him driving on dangerous tracks and obstacle courses. The series racked up millions of views on YouTube.

Damn this one came out of nowhere. Such a tragedy for such a talented and cool guy.

DrCaleb @ Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:36 am

8O R=EM

DrCaleb @ Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:06 am

The tech pioneer behind Sound Blaster has passed away

$1:
Singaporean inventor and tech pioneer Sim Wong Hoo passed away on January 4th at the age of 67. Sim may not be a household name these days, but he founded Creative Technology (or Creative Labs in the US), the company behind the Sound Blaster brand of sound cards, back in 1981. Sound Blasters were some of the first sound cards available to consumers, and there was a time when you had to make sure your system worked with them if you wanted to listen to music and play games.

DrCaleb @ Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:34 am

Adam Rich, child star from "Eight is Enough", dead at 54

xerxes @ Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:03 pm

Jeff Beck dies aged 78

$1:
Jeff Beck, the celebrated guitarist who played with the Yardbirds and led the Jeff Beck Group, has died aged 78, his representative has confirmed.

Beck died on Tuesday after “suddenly contracting bacterial meningitis”, the representative confirmed. “His family ask for privacy while they process this tremendous loss,” they added.

Musicians and longtime friends began paying tribute minutes after the news broke. On Twitter, Jimmy Page wrote, “The six stringed Warrior is no longer here for us to admire the spell he could weave around our mortal emotions. Jeff could channel music from the ethereal. His technique unique. His imaginations apparently limitless. Jeff I will miss you along with your millions of fans.”

“With the death of Jeff Beck we have lost a wonderful man and one of the greatest guitar players in the world,” Mick Jagger wrote. “We will all miss him so much.”

Gene Simmons called it “heartbreaking news … no one played guitar like Jeff. Please get ahold of the first two Jeff Beck Group albums and behold greatness. RIP.”

“Now Jeff has gone, I feel like one of my band of brothers has left this world, and I’m going to dearly miss him,” Ronnie Wood tweeted.

Ozzy Osbourne tweeted, “I can’t express how saddened I am to hear of Jeff Beck’s passing. What a terrible loss for his family, friends & his many fans. It was such an honour to have known Jeff and an incredible honor to have had him play on my most recent album.”

Pink Floyd’s David Gilmour wrote, “I am devastated to hear the news of the death of my friend and hero Jeff Beck, whose music has thrilled and inspired me and countless others for so many years … He will be forever in our hearts.”

Johnny Marr called him “a pioneer and one of the all time greats”, while Whitesnake’s David Coverdale wrote, “Oh, My Heart … RIP, Jeff … I miss you already”.

The Kinks’ Dave Davies tweeted, “I’m heartbroken he looked in fine shape to me. Playing great he was in great shape. I’m shocked and bewildered … it don’t make sense I don’t get it. He was a good friend and a great guitar player.”

I know no can live forever, but goddammit this hurts. RIP to one of best guitarists ever.

Previous  1 ... 25  26  27  28  29  30  31 ... 36  Next