Canada Kicks Ass
Panic-buying — not highway washouts — causing empty shelves

Previous  1  2

bootlegga @ Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:42 am

raydan raydan:
xerxes xerxes:
And the scary thing it doesn’t take much to empty the shelves. IIRC, all that’s needed is 5% surge in buyers and shelves go empty.

And the stupid thing is it’s happening in the lower mainland west of Abbotsford where the highways aren’t closed. Most of the distribution warehouses are in Langley and Vancouver.

Supermarkets turn over stocks very quickly, 2-3 weeks depending on the size of the store, and I'll make an educated guess and say that meat and produce turn over faster than that. Doesn't take much to empty the shelves.

I don't know about meat, but produce turns over every couple days in most grocery stores, and if the trucks don't show up they go bare. Most grocery stores keep most of their produce out on the floor, not in the backroom like they used to.

Ahh, the joys of just in time shipping.

Strutz @ Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:46 pm

The last few days I have heard multiple stories from customers about this store and that one being out completely of things like bacon, deli meat, etc etc. At least the Safeway apparently had signage limiting customers to no more than 3 of any single dairy item though I'm not sure about other grocery items.

Of course there have been people who have observed others buying unreasonable quantities of some things. Now, if they were buying not only for themselves but also for family or neighbours then fine, but going over-the-top freaking hoarding is another thing. Shame on the people buying more of perishable items especially, than they could possibly use and I can't help but wonder if some of it will end up being thrown away when someone else could have used it.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:32 pm

What's worse is the convenience store owners that buy up everything on sale and then sell it back in their own stores for a hell of a lot more. My main grocery store started to tighten quantities and limits several years back because of this.

-J.

herbie @ Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:07 pm

The local store had beefshort ribs for $27 kg today. Bought som last Sunday they were $11 kg at Superstore in the next town.

When quoting inflation 145 is now referred to as 20.

Hope to God the CRA doesn't adopt this new math!

Strutz @ Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:32 pm

So we went to Safeway earlier this afternoon to pick up a few things we needed and there was plenty of almost everything. There were a few bare spots on shelves here and there for this and that but nothing too critical. I was glad to see that they did have signage in many places throughout the store limiting quantities but certainly not unreasonable limits.

raydan @ Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:53 pm

Coming soon to empty shelves near you

Thanos @ Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:01 pm

And Quebec won't share a single penny of their profit with the rest of the country. 8)

raydan @ Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:08 pm

You wanna play dirty!!!

18 billion in 2020 to subsidize oil
1.8 million for 2 years in maple sugar subsidies :wink:

$1:
Canada lags behind other countries in phasing out fossil fuel subsidies

Thanos @ Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:26 pm

You're just jealous because O&G finally learned to play the same game as well as you guys do. :twisted:

raydan @ Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:40 pm

Thanos Thanos:
You're just jealous because O&G finally learned to play the same game as well as you guys do. :twisted:

Now you just need to learn how not to pollute as well as we do. :lol:

Thanos @ Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:50 pm

You guys are polluting quite nicely on your own, given that Quebec's turned into one of the hottest selling markets on the entire continent for gas-guzzler pickup trucks & SUVs. Not to mention the annual untreated sewage shit-dump from Montreal into the St. Lawrence - you folks really need to name that one as Denis Coderre Day in honour of the originator of the policy. And it wasn't Alberta that put all the selenium & mercury into the river that gave cancer to all the Beluga whales either. :wink:

Previous  1  2