Canada Kicks Ass
Saudi oil attacks: Will fuel prices go up'

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Strutz @ Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:51 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Thanos Thanos:
According to Trump the US is "locked and loaded" to go after whoever attacked the Saudis. Which means the US is going to go to war again in order to defend the country that perpetrated the attacks on America on Sept 11, 2001. Our world, being all delightful again. ROTFL

Not really. When you think about it, if a country like Iran or a group like the Houthi are allowed to shut down large portions of the worlds oil production and hold everyone else hostage with just a few drone attacks, then we may as well just shut up shop now and go home. Because it won't be long before they're calling the shots, especially since no refinery or oil storage facility in any country will be safe from them.

This act of war may not equate to dropping the bomb in Manhattan for shock and awe but as far as long term world wide ramifications go, if left unpunished it may be much worse.

But maybe there is one good thing that this drone strike will do. It'll make those fucking corporate welfare assholes the Irving's think twice about the security and safety of their beloved Saudi Oil supply which, is now under threat by any 12 year old Arab gamer with an explosive device lashed onto last years Christmas present. It might also make them more amenable to accepting Canadian oil than oil from a source that isn't all that secure or sure anymore.

You make some good points there.

Thanos @ Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:13 pm

Bill Maher's been saying that the upcoming recession won't a bad thing, not if it leads to getting rid of Trump. Recessions aren't permanent but the damage Trump is doing to the US could last for generations. Regard any fuel hikes in Canada as the same thing, a bump on a pathway that smooths out either sooner or later. Price hikes don't last but the dishonour of engaging in another war based on lies, this time in Iran and these guys KNOW how to fight back, would be as permanent of a stain as the Iraq war and Vietnam. Not this time, not to save the greasy filthy hides of those absolute rat bastards in Saudi Arabia.

Doing one Vietnam was unconscionable, even with the Cold War in the background. Doing a second one in Iraq was unforgivable, even with the shadow of Sept 11 hanging over everything. Doing a third one in Iran, for the benefit only of Benjamin Netanyahu and that collection of Arab dilettantes & murderers on the west shore of the Persian Gulf, would be something that only a crooked and irredeemably corrupt society that deserves to be wiped from the face of the earth would do. There are no more chances left anymore.

And, like I said a few times before, any Canadian PM that signs on to a war launched by someone like Donald Trump quite literally deserves to be dragged out of Parliament and hanged from a streetlamp. The US and their best pals in Saudi and at Likud HQ can go it alone this time with this bullshit. :evil:

Sunnyways @ Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:34 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
Sunnyways Sunnyways:
Big customers of ME oil like Europe, China and Japan did not ask for raised tensions in the ME and were not consulted by the US over its JCPOA withdrawal or its punitive sanctions against Iran which started the current crisis.

Not sure I understand.

Are you saying the sanctions against Iran caused the Houthi insurgency and civil war?

That's not the way I heard it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yemeni_ci ... %93present)

You could maybe see it as an Iran–Saudi Arabia proxy conflict if you isolate the right bits but even there conflicts between Sunni and Shiite have been happening for over a thousand years. Neither the Iranians nor the Saudis want the other to be the power in the region.

Perhaps I was not clear there. The civil war in Yemen was proceeding on its own disastrous trajectory for years now. The new factor is America blocking the sale of Iranian oil worldwide. That has widened the conflict. I suspect Iran was involved in these attacks and either used the Houthis and/or Saudi Shiites as proxies or launched the attack itself. The Iranian logic behind this desperate gamble is to spread the pain they’re experiencing from loss of oil revenue and dare Trump to start a Middle East war as he campaigns for re-election given that he has loudly denounced such adventures. Thus this strike on KSA has little to with Yemen.

My point about the ME consumers of oil still stands. Unlike Netanyahu and his friends in Washington, they don’t want a war with Iran.

DrCaleb @ Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:50 am

Missiles and drones that hit Saudi oil fields: Made in Iran, but fired by whom?

stratos @ Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:30 am

Drone Wars coming soon to an oil field near you. 8)

N_Fiddledog @ Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:52 am

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
Perhaps I was not clear there. The civil war in Yemen was proceeding on its own disastrous trajectory for years now. The new factor is America blocking the sale of Iranian oil worldwide. That has widened the conflict. I suspect Iran was involved in these attacks and either used the Houthis and/or Saudi Shiites as proxies or launched the attack itself. The Iranian logic behind this desperate gamble is to spread the pain they’re experiencing from loss of oil revenue and dare Trump to start a Middle East war as he campaigns for re-election given that he has loudly denounced such adventures. Thus this strike on KSA has little to with Yemen.

My point about the ME consumers of oil still stands. Unlike Netanyahu and his friends in Washington, they don’t want a war with Iran.

That's a theory all right. And it does seem pretty likely that Trump's taking back the farm from Iran after Obama/Kerry gave it to them may have added to the noise.

The problem is Iran was contributing to and supporting terrorism and revolt in the region before even Obama. The Houthi insurgency began about 2005 when a Houthi leader was nabbed by the government or something.

Iranians didn't start chanting, "Death to America" because of Trump.

$1:
Since 1979, the United States has led international efforts to use sanctions to influence Iran's policies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctions_against_Iran

N_Fiddledog @ Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:52 am

On the other hand Sunnyways, to support your theory there is stuff like these recent threats where they seem to be blaming sanctions:

Top Iranian General Boasts: Our Missiles Can Destroy Your Military Sites. We’re Ready For ‘Full-Fledged’ War.

So the Iranian Mullahs and their thugs are on board with you anyway.

The media does tell us that these current sanctions against Iran are starting to hurt so it is possible the Mullahs are stepping up what they were doing anyway in hopes of intimidating Trump.

Me, I think these guys have never been short of an excuse for terror when they want it. And that was long before Trump.

herbie @ Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:40 pm

News last night says to expect 4c rise in gas prices for Eastern Canada that uses some Saudi oil and TEN CENTS for western Canada that uses none at all.
And some of you are buying the shortage excuse, a shortage anywhere causes prices to rise everywhere. Even in Alberta where there is no fucking shortage? I guess Alaska will take a shit kicking too.
Good capitalist dupes. Brainwashed since Day One.

Thanos @ Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:04 pm

I'd like to see Jason Kenney and Scott Moe order the oil companies in their provinces to keep the fuel prices low at the pump, like order gasoline to be kept under a dollar per litre, just to shove it in the face of the feds and the virtue-signalling provinces. You know, put out a statement that says something like "the supply of Western oil and fuel isn't affected in the slightest by the attack in Saudi Arabia, therefore there will be no price hike allowed on it - let the other anti-resource provinces that prefer to get their oil from terrorist states run by dictators instead of their fellow Canadians take the price hit, it's not our problem".

But conservative politicians are capitalists so all we'll get instead from them is the usual "nope, can't interfere at all in the pricing dictated by the "free" market"". Yeah, it's just another day, same as the one that came before.... :roll:

PluggyRug @ Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:04 pm

Thanos Thanos:
I'd like to see Jason Kenney and Scott Moe order the oil companies in their provinces to keep the fuel prices low at the pump, like order gasoline to be kept under a dollar per litre, just to shove it in the face of the feds and the virtue-signalling provinces. You know, put out a statement that says something like "the supply of Western oil and fuel isn't affected in the slightest by the attack in Saudi Arabia, therefore there will be no price hike allowed on it - let the other anti-resource provinces that prefer to get their oil from terrorist states run by dictators instead of their fellow Canadians take the price hit, it's not our problem".

But conservative politicians are capitalists so all we'll get instead from them is the usual "nope, can't interfere at all in the pricing dictated by the "free" market"". Yeah, it's just another day, same as the one that came before.... :roll:

You're advocating for ultrasonic 'pies in the sky's'.

xerxes @ Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:59 pm

herbie herbie:
News last night says to expect 4c rise in gas prices for Eastern Canada that uses some Saudi oil and TEN CENTS for western Canada that uses none at all.
And some of you are buying the shortage excuse, a shortage anywhere causes prices to rise everywhere. Even in Alberta where there is no fucking shortage? I guess Alaska will take a shit kicking too.
Good capitalist dupes. Brainwashed since Day One.

More like 15 cents. It was 127.9 this morning when I left for work and 144.9 when I went home

Thanos @ Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:01 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
Thanos Thanos:

You're advocating for ultrasonic 'pies in the sky's'.

Naw, that would be fake. Pie-in-the-sky is as fake as this Iranian "attack" the Americans and Israelis just committed. :lol:

Sunnyways @ Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:13 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
Sunnyways Sunnyways:

That's a theory all right. And it does seem pretty likely that Trump's taking back the farm from Iran after Obama/Kerry gave it to them may have added to the noise.

The problem is Iran was contributing to and supporting terrorism and revolt in the region before even Obama. The Houthi insurgency began about 2005 when a Houthi leader was nabbed by the government or something.

Iranians didn't start chanting, "Death to America" because of Trump.

$1:
Since 1979, the United States has led international efforts to use sanctions to influence Iran's policies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctions_against_Iran

The attacks on KSA are probably not due to any existing problems in the Middle East and I don’t care what people chant. What has changed is the recent American attack via global sanctions on the Iranian economy. Iran’s response is that if we can’t sell oil, we’ll stop the Arabs doing so as well. The end result is a problem for the importers of ME oil that they did not ask for.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:37 am

Nonsense like this is why we need to build pipelines in out own country and stop throwing away money for foreign oil. We have more than enough oil here in Canada to sustain ourselves. Time to become more aggressive sellers, rather than buyers.

-J.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:27 am

Fuel prices are up 12 cents today here in Barrie, Ontario....

8O

Not cool.

-J.

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next