Canada Kicks Ass
Trudeau to spend double disarming hunters than he�ll spend fighting gangs

REPLY

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next



uwish @ Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:43 pm

Doc is write on that point. You cannot use a restricted firearm for hunting in Canada.

But, I see it as a 'first' step to banning anything semi, which I am NOT in favor of. I own many handguns and shoot competitively and I enjoy it..

Just because you can't hunt with it, doesn't mean there isn't a sporting use for it, if we want to go down that road any 'sports car' is useless and we should start banning them. Its such a waste of time and effort not to mention treading on ~2 million Canadians that have a restricted firearm. Trust me, they won't stop at AR-15....

as an aside, you can hunt with a semi automatic as long as it isn't a restricted firearm. There is no good reason for the AR-15 to be restricted.

   



N_Fiddledog @ Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:59 am

New crime data contradicts government gun plans

Quote:
The latest crime data released by Statistics Canada make a mockery of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s posturing on gun violence.

The newly released data on homicides and gun violence in Canada during 2018 hold some surprises. Overall, murders are down – not up. Gun killings are down – not up. And gang-related homicides are also down – not up. This holds true almost everywhere in Canada, except in Ontario and Quebec.

For the Liberal government in Ottawa hell-bent on banning hunting and sport rifles, the cold, hard truth spelled out in this StatsCan report is very inconvenient, indeed.

Nationwide, murder was down in 2018

According to StatsCan, there were 651 homicides in Canada last year. That’s down 4% from 2017.


As much as murders are shocking events to good and honest people, and garner 24/7 media coverage, it’s important to remember – as StatsCan points out – homicide is exceedingly rare in Canada.

Compare 651 homicides last year (666 in 2017) to StatsCan figures for other causes of death in 2017 (the last year for which data is publicly available.) 1,968 people died in vehicle accidents. 4,108 died from accidental drug overdoses. 4,904 Canadians died from falls.

A prudent government motivated to reduce death and suffering might focus first on ladders.

Gun deaths down overall

Most murders are not committed with firearms. Last year, 249 of Canada’s 651 homicides were committed with a gun, down 8% from 2017 – the first reduction since 2013.

Maybe the wholesale trampling of Canadian freedoms by the government is needed after all.

Something’s wrong in Ontario

The national reduction in homicides and gun murders did not hold for Ontario which chalked up 69 more homicides in 2018 than 2017.

Toronto, in particular, had a bad year with 142 homicide victims – the most ever reported in what StatsCan calls the Toronto Census Metropolitan Area since 1981. That’s a 53% increase in victims and a 50% increase in the homicide rate over 2017, says StatsCan.

In fairness, three high-profile and unusual events helped spike Toronto’s murder toll: the Van Attack in April 2018 that killed 10, the eight serial murders attributed to Bruce MacArthur, plus two people killed during the Danforth terror attack. But, even without these events, the kill rate would still have ballooned 29% in the Toronto CMA.

Ontario also posted an increase in gun-related homicides: 36 more last year than in 2017.

Gang homicides down, but…

The overall rate of gang-related homicides was down across Canada for the first time in three years – except in Quebec and Ontario.

Still, criminal gangs remain the driving force behind homicides by gun. More than half (51%) of firearm-related homicides were related to gang activity, says Stats Can.

In Toronto, 94% of gang-related homicides were committed with a gun in 2018. That’s a 2% increase over 2017.

These facts suggest all the tough talk by Toronto mayor John Tory about banning guns and getting tough on crime have been, in a word, useless.

It’s an interesting correlation. Where homicides, especially gun killings, are down – the rate of gang-related killing is down. But where it’s up … it’s way up.

It’s almost like criminal gangs are the problem – not lawful gun ownership.

Illegal handguns the problem, not rifles

According to StatsCan, handguns have been the firearm of choice for murderers since the early 1990s. In 2018, 57% of gun-related homicides were committed with handguns.

Nation-wide, 83% of gang-related homicides used a gun – 85% of those were handguns.

Once again these data from the government’s own statistics agency point out the madness behind Trudeau plan to fight gun violence. Instead of targeting gangs and illegal handguns in cities, he is focusing his legislation on banning rifles owned by law-abiding citizens in rural areas.

Most murder victims are criminals

The StatsCan data also confirm another fact the government prefers to ignore: most murderers are repeat offenders and half of their victims are themselves criminals.

In 2018, 63% of adults 18 years and older accused of homicide had a criminal record in Canada. One-third of accused persons 12 to 17 years old had a youth record.

Just over half (51%) of adult homicide victims in 2018 had a Canadian criminal record.

If the government spent as much time and money tracking known criminals as they do law-abiding gun owners, odds are Canada’s murder rate would plummet to record lows.

Just a thought.


https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... -gun-plans

   



PluggyRug @ Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:07 pm

Common sense will never supersede the feel good nonsense from half wit Liberals. If it's black and goes bang....ban we must.

   



PluggyRug @ Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:15 pm

Image

   



BeaverFever @ Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:57 pm

N_Fiddledog wrote:
New crime data contradicts government gun plans

Quote:
The latest crime data released by Statistics Canada make a mockery of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s posturing on gun violence.

The newly released data on homicides and gun violence in Canada during 2018 hold some surprises. Overall, murders are down – not up. Gun killings are down – not up. And gang-related homicides are also down – not up. This holds true almost everywhere in Canada, except in Ontario and Quebec.

For the Liberal government in Ottawa hell-bent on banning hunting and sport rifles, the cold, hard truth spelled out in this StatsCan report is very inconvenient, indeed.

Nationwide, murder was down in 2018

According to StatsCan, there were 651 homicides in Canada last year. That’s down 4% from 2017.


As much as murders are shocking events to good and honest people, and garner 24/7 media coverage, it’s important to remember – as StatsCan points out – homicide is exceedingly rare in Canada.

Compare 651 homicides last year (666 in 2017) to StatsCan figures for other causes of death in 2017 (the last year for which data is publicly available.) 1,968 people died in vehicle accidents. 4,108 died from accidental drug overdoses. 4,904 Canadians died from falls.

A prudent government motivated to reduce death and suffering might focus first on ladders.

Gun deaths down overall

Most murders are not committed with firearms. Last year, 249 of Canada’s 651 homicides were committed with a gun, down 8% from 2017 – the first reduction since 2013.

Maybe the wholesale trampling of Canadian freedoms by the government is needed after all.

Something’s wrong in Ontario

The national reduction in homicides and gun murders did not hold for Ontario which chalked up 69 more homicides in 2018 than 2017.

Toronto, in particular, had a bad year with 142 homicide victims – the most ever reported in what StatsCan calls the Toronto Census Metropolitan Area since 1981. That’s a 53% increase in victims and a 50% increase in the homicide rate over 2017, says StatsCan.

In fairness, three high-profile and unusual events helped spike Toronto’s murder toll: the Van Attack in April 2018 that killed 10, the eight serial murders attributed to Bruce MacArthur, plus two people killed during the Danforth terror attack. But, even without these events, the kill rate would still have ballooned 29% in the Toronto CMA.

Ontario also posted an increase in gun-related homicides: 36 more last year than in 2017.

Gang homicides down, but…

The overall rate of gang-related homicides was down across Canada for the first time in three years – except in Quebec and Ontario.

Still, criminal gangs remain the driving force behind homicides by gun. More than half (51%) of firearm-related homicides were related to gang activity, says Stats Can.

In Toronto, 94% of gang-related homicides were committed with a gun in 2018. That’s a 2% increase over 2017.

These facts suggest all the tough talk by Toronto mayor John Tory about banning guns and getting tough on crime have been, in a word, useless.

It’s an interesting correlation. Where homicides, especially gun killings, are down – the rate of gang-related killing is down. But where it’s up … it’s way up.

It’s almost like criminal gangs are the problem – not lawful gun ownership.

Illegal handguns the problem, not rifles

According to StatsCan, handguns have been the firearm of choice for murderers since the early 1990s. In 2018, 57% of gun-related homicides were committed with handguns.

Nation-wide, 83% of gang-related homicides used a gun – 85% of those were handguns.

Once again these data from the government’s own statistics agency point out the madness behind Trudeau plan to fight gun violence. Instead of targeting gangs and illegal handguns in cities, he is focusing his legislation on banning rifles owned by law-abiding citizens in rural areas.

Most murder victims are criminals

The StatsCan data also confirm another fact the government prefers to ignore: most murderers are repeat offenders and half of their victims are themselves criminals.

In 2018, 63% of adults 18 years and older accused of homicide had a criminal record in Canada. One-third of accused persons 12 to 17 years old had a youth record.

Just over half (51%) of adult homicide victims in 2018 had a Canadian criminal record.

If the government spent as much time and money tracking known criminals as they do law-abiding gun owners, odds are Canada’s murder rate would plummet to record lows.

Just a thought.


https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... -gun-plans



I don’t think we need much more gun control than we already have, just bring back the ling gun registry, also to prevent legitimate gun owners from supplying criminals when they get burglarized or who are “straw purchasers” for criminal organizations, they should limit the number of firearms an individual can own to a reasonable number and/or increase the safekeeping requirements

Side note: aren’t you the same person who a few years ago tried to tell us “unreported crime is way up” as justification for more gun ownership,mandatory minimum sentences death penalty, etc. ? The right has usually ignored or disputed declining crime rate statistics.

   



PluggyRug @ Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:07 pm

BeaverFever wrote:
I don’t think we need much more gun control than we already have, just bring back the ling gun registry, also to prevent legitimate gun owners from supplying criminals when they get burglarized or who are “straw purchasers” for criminal organizations, they should limit the number of firearms an individual can own to a reasonable number and/or increase the safekeeping requirements

Side note: aren’t you the same person who a few years ago tried to tell us “unreported crime is way up” as justification for more gun ownership,mandatory minimum sentences death penalty, etc. ? The right has usually ignored or disputed declining crime rate statistics.


Yeah, that should do it. ROTFL

Image

   



N_Fiddledog @ Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:05 pm

BeaverFever wrote:
Side note: aren’t you the same person who a few years ago tried to tell us “unreported crime is way up” as justification for more gun ownership,mandatory minimum sentences death penalty, etc. ?


No but you had me worried there for a sec...

I was thinking, 'What's wrong with Beave? Is he going to get through a whole post without being wrong about something? Maybe somebody hijacked his account. I wonder if I should report it."

   



N_Fiddledog @ Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:09 pm

I imagine unreported crime could be a thing though. Wouldn't know if it's up or down.

Something I have heard, but it would apply more to America than us is there are many unreported incidents of lives saved and crime prevented in the land of the 2nd amendment by good guys with guns. Lots of reported ones too.

   



BeaverFever @ Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:21 pm

N_Fiddledog wrote:
BeaverFever wrote:
Side note: aren’t you the same person who a few years ago tried to tell us “unreported crime is way up” as justification for more gun ownership,mandatory minimum sentences death penalty, etc. ?


No but you had me worried there for a sec...

I was thinking, 'What's wrong with Beave? Is he going to get through a whole post without being wrong about something? Maybe somebody hijacked his account. I wonder if I should report it."


We mocked one of you connies for it. Cmon raise your hand if it was you. Pretty sure it was pluggy.

The joke is that since it’s unreported there’s no way to know if it even happened let alone measure if it’s up or down.

   



BeaverFever @ Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:27 pm

N_Fiddledog wrote:
I imagine unreported crime could be a thing though. Wouldn't know if it's up or down.

Something I have heard, but it would apply more to America than us is there are many unreported incidents of lives saved and crime prevented in the land of the 2nd amendment by good guys with guns. Lots of reported ones too.



Lot’s of lives lost when supposed good guys shoot an innocent person or sell their guns to bad guys or ley their kids get a hold of them.

Fun fact: An American is statistically more likely to be shot dead by a toddler than be a victim of islamist terrorism. Yet what are you focused on?

   



llama66 @ Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Quote:
prevent legitimate gun owners from supplying criminals when they get burglarized

I feel like you don't understand how theft works.

   



Thanos @ Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:34 pm

I don't believe that Beave thinks there's anything such as a legit firearms owner. Much like the political parties he skews towards, he comes across like he thinks the gun itself is the worst thing imaginable and that there's no reason at all, ever, period, to have one. Kind of a lib/left version of how the social-con righties are so horrified of drugs that casual users or those arrested with even a miniscule amount in their possession are in their minds equivalent to smugglers and cartel mobsters and have to be given the identical life-ruining punishments.

Just your daily reminder that the thought-totalitarian extremes are always in the gutters and that the path down the middle is the only thing that doesn't lead to disaster

   



BeaverFever @ Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:13 am

llama66 wrote:
Quote:
prevent legitimate gun owners from supplying criminals when they get burglarized

I feel like you don't understand how theft works.

If you own a massive firearm arsenal and it gets stolen you’ve put the public at risk. It’s inevitable that some firearms owners will have their gun collections stolen. Therefore there should be limits on the size of these collections. That is REASONABLE.

Firearm owners bear a certain level of responsibility for securing their firearms. Period.

   



BeaverFever @ Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:18 am

Thanos wrote:
I don't believe that Beave thinks there's anything such as a legit firearms owner. Much like the political parties he skews towards, he comes across like he thinks the gun itself is the worst thing imaginable and that there's no reason at all, ever, period, to have one. Kind of a lib/left version of how the social-con righties are so horrified of drugs that casual users or those arrested with even a miniscule amount in their possession are in their minds equivalent to smugglers and cartel mobsters and have to be given the identical life-ruining punishments.

Just your daily reminder that the thought-totalitarian extremes are always in the gutters and that the path down the middle is the only thing that doesn't lead to disaster


No you’re wrong about me. Much like the political party you skew towards, you distort other people’s positions to the extreme.

Someone proposes some modest and reasonable limits on gun ownership and you feel obliged to misrepresent that as advocating for a total ban and criminalization if all gun ownership. Why do you feel the need to engage in such dishonesty?

   



PluggyRug @ Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:24 am

Image

   



REPLY

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next