Canada Kicks Ass
Victim, father handcuffed in court kerfuffle after man acqui

1  2  Next

Newsbot @ Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:52 pm

Title: Victim, father handcuffed in court kerfuffle after man acquitted in shooting involving stolen RCMP gun
Category: Law & Order
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2018-01-18 11:32:40
Canadian

Freakinoldguy @ Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:52 pm

Corey Vanderra's actions not withstanding, the acquittal is a travesty of justice. What this article doesn't point out is that this prick has an extensive record and bragged about comitting the crime.

$1:
He was just 14 when he shot a rival gang member in the head, leaving the victim brain-damaged.

Now a Winnipeg teen is going to face an adult sentence for what has been called an attempted execution. Court of Queen's Bench Justice Doug Abra ruled Friday the penalties under the Youth Criminal Justice Act are not sufficient, given the brutality of the crime.

Matthew McKay, whose named can be published as a result of the verdict, will return to court April 1 for a sentencing hearing. The B-side gang member was found guilty of attempted murder following a trial last year.

The 17-year-old victim, a member of the Mad Cowz, suffered catastrophic injuries in the June 2013 attack and was unable to give a statement to police. He was sitting in a car near Sherbrook Street and Wolseley Avenue when McKay approached it and fired several shots at a close range.

"I shot that (racial slur) with a .45," McKay bragged to a fellow B-sider, a witness told McKay's trial.

Justice officials classified it as a planned, cold-blooded attack. They say the victim was targeted because he was on rival turf at the time.

"If you're in someone else's territory, you're taking your life into your hands. It's almost a standing order in these groups that something is going to happen," Crown attorney Mike Desautels previously told court.

The Crown presented evidence for more than a week. Security was increased in the courtroom; additional sheriff's officers monitored the proceedings and all visitors had to pass through extra screening, including a metal detector.

A police expert spent a full day explaining the feud between the Mad Cowz and B-side gangs.

"This is not a one-off crime or a lone wolf type of event. This was a pattern of long-standing issues and conflict that was regularly bloody between the two groups," Desautels testified.

Tensions between the two gangs was high at the time, following the February 2013 killing of longtime B-Side member William "G-Money" Moar inside Johnny G's restaurant on Main Street. Three Mad Cowz associates were charged with first-degree murder, court was told.

Moar was one of several B-Siders convicted in the 2009 beating of a Sudanese man who was mistaken for a Mad Cowz-affiliated African Mafia gang member. The victim is in a permanent vegetative state. The attack prompted the African Mafia to put a price on the heads of B-Side members who were responsible.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local ... 39551.html

Nice group of little shits and this Judge let one of the worst back onto the streets to carry out this reign of terror. Once again the Canadian Justice System succeeds in putting innocent lives at risk and if I was Corey Vanderra I'd be moving because this little sociopath is likely to try and get revenge for his threats in court.

My guess is that his age, ancestry and upbringing likely played a larger part than the alcohol which was just an excuse in this acquittal. Here's a description of this little angel from his Canada Wide Warrant:

$1:
Police indicate they have obtained a Canada-wide warrant for Attempt Murder x 2 for a young offender identified as Matthew Jonathon McKay (14) years.

Mckay is described as Aboriginal, 5’10”, 138 pounds, with brown hair, brown eyes. Mckay has the following tattoos:

“B-Side” on his hands
“BSCF” (B Side Crew Forever) on his neck
“WB” (West Broadway) on his right inner forearm

http://thepoliceinsider.com/police-issu ... d-soldier/

The odd thing is that there appear to be no charges for stealing the weapons in the first place. Probably because it would have embarrassed the RCMP idiots who's lax weapon and security procedures allowed the theft to happen in the first place and start the whole Pulp Fiction like scenario.

Tricks @ Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:01 pm

$1:
"I shot that (racial slur) with a .45," McKay bragged to a fellow B-sider, a witness told McKay's trial.
Wouldn't that be heresay? Or was the person he bragged to the witness who testified.

Freakinoldguy @ Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:23 pm

Tricks Tricks:
$1:
Wouldn't that be heresay? Or was the person he bragged to the witness who testified.

Maybe, maybe not. They place snitches in prison to elicit confessions from murders and then accept them in court so I can't see much difference between that and having a witness/victim who was intoxicated and then have an identified shooter brag about the crime.

CharlesAnthony @ Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:38 pm

Good decision. The judge seems sane.

Obviously there is more to the story that is being withheld from the public.

BeaverFever @ Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:41 pm

$1:
My guess is that his age, ancestry and upbringing likely played a larger part than the alcohol which was just an excuse in this acquittal. Here's a description of this little angel from his Canada Wide Warrant:

Socio-economic / background factors may contribute to lenient sentences but they don’t contribute to finding of guilt or innocence.

Tricks @ Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Tricks Tricks:
$1:

Maybe, maybe not. They place snitches in prison to elicit confessions from murders and then accept them in court so I can't see much difference between that and having a witness/victim who was intoxicated and then have an identified shooter brag about the crime.
I feel like this is different. It's a statement that can't be cross examined, and can't be verified in any way. It's something that was said while not under oath as well.

Wouldn't informants in prison normally be recording the conversation?

Freakinoldguy @ Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:25 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Wouldn't informants in prison normally be recording the conversation?

I think that depends on the Judge and what he'll allow as evidence. Some will accept a recorded conversation taken by a mic installed in the accused's cell and others won't. So it's a crap shoot.

But you shouldn't have had to rely on this asswipes bravado to get a conviction. The judge should have rely'd on the witnesse. But, I guess the Judge isn't up on what constitutes a reliable witness or he just doesn't care enough to check the latest facts from the latest scientific periodicals because, if he had this murderous thug would still be incarcerated and the public would be a little safer.

$1:
So, how exactly does alcohol impact eyewitness memory? Most experimental research (like this study and this study and this study) has found that intoxicated eyewitnesses are actually no different from sober eyewitnesses in their account accuracy or vulnerability to distortions. One study published this year even found that consuming alcohol after witnessing a crime made witnesses more reliable, by making them less likely to accept false details given to them by the researcher.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/gu ... d-witness/

So given that explanation of what's a credible witness I stand by my assertion that someone wanted an excuse to let the this kid off and used a completely outdated opinion of witness reliability as the reason.

Tricks @ Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:36 pm

The issue is that it makes room for reasonable doubt.

Robair @ Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:52 pm

if I was Corey Vanderra I'd be moving because this little sociopath is likely to try and get revenge for his threats in court.

Might not have been an idle threat. Mess with the wrong person's kids and rules tend to go out the window.

Robair @ Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:51 pm

RCMP officer's son involved. Accused were guests at officer's house.

Hmmmm. And problems with the investigation you say?

Freakinoldguy @ Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Robair Robair:

This just keeps getting better and better doesn't it.

I guess McCuen's kid didn't know these two assholes were gangbangers and thought that those tattoo's were just personal decoration.

My guess is that the Sgt's kid isn't exactly squeaky clean either and is probably a hang-around or an associate to those unselfish charity workers in the B-Street gang.

CharlesAnthony @ Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Who needs fake news?? when old news will do!

Robair Robair:

This just keeps getting better and better doesn't it.
Indeed! That article is 4 months old.

The Tell:
The non-guilty party was not convicted of any theft of any firearm from the back of any truck.

BeaverFever @ Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:21 pm

Regardless of whether the guy actually did it or not, in democracies, everyone gets a fair trial and if the evidence required to commit them is lacking then they get acquitted. In a democracy you can’t just take shortcuts when it pleases you just because the accused is a scumbag and ‘probably’ did it.

Freakinoldguy @ Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:56 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Regardless of whether the guy actually did it or not, in democracies, everyone gets a fair trial and if the evidence required to commit them is lacking then they get acquitted. In a democracy you can’t just take shortcuts when it pleases you just because the accused is a scumbag and ‘probably’ did it.

Or, if a Judge and prosecutor operate on the archaic belief that a misconception from the past must hold true today, then yes.

But, I guess since "new science" had no place in this criminal trial we'll never know if the witnesses evidence was factual and shouldn't been dismissed outright as the ravings of some delirious drunkard.

1  2  Next