Canada Kicks Ass
canadian french

1  2  Next

bethstarr @ Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:29 pm

my great grandparents are from canada and growing up i have heard alot of franglish a mixture of french and english.There are some words that i remember them saying and i am looking for the meaning to them.Does anyone know of a website that has maybe french canadian slang or franglish slang?Any and all help is appreciated.Here is a sample of two words of the top of my head.Not sure of spelling...
one is wayon and the other is baywee.
Thanks

Blue_Nose @ Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:33 pm

Maybe baywee was "Mais, oui" with a stuffy nose?

Were these said on their own, or in a longer sentence?

bethstarr @ Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:35 pm

if i remember right it was on there own i seem to think they were said when someone was frustrated....

Arctic_Menace @ Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:41 pm

Qu'est-ce que Fuck?

What are you talking about, connard?

Brunswicked @ Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:43 pm

bethstarr bethstarr:
my great grandparents are from canada and growing up i have heard alot of franglish a mixture of french and english.There are some words that i remember them saying and i am looking for the meaning to them.Does anyone know of a website that has maybe french canadian slang or franglish slang?Any and all help is appreciated.Here is a sample of two words of the top of my head.Not sure of spelling...
one is wayon and the other is baywee.
Thanks

I think wayon is used like "get out of here" something you say when something said wasn't believable or say you did something stupid. I have heard it used alot by french people.

Damien @ Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:46 pm

:lol: :lol:

Oki now,

wayon = Voyons = Let's see
baywee = Mais Oui = Sure !

May I assist thou with anything else ? If yes, just tell me.

Brunswicked @ Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:48 pm

There you go. I've lived with a French Man for 25 yrs now and have heard it often now seeing it written down it looks better.

bethstarr @ Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:57 pm

oh my gosh you guys are great thank you so much....I'm sure something else will come up and i will be back....Thank you Merci!!!

Damien @ Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:01 pm

Our pleasure ;)

Now you gotta explain to me what does the "shiznit" mean :wink:

bethstarr @ Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:16 pm

:lol: one of america's very dumb sayings....its a polite way of saying shit.Or meaning thats cool....

bethstarr @ Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:20 pm

i do have another question if ya still here.
When i greet my tante tomorrow would this be proper to say..... comment ca va?does that mean how are you.When she says it she talks so fast so i am never sure..then it sounds like she says ca va when someone ask her that.i am trying to learn french a little bit at a time.I wish i would have paid more attention when i was younger and taken it in high school

Blue_Nose @ Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:22 pm

"Ca va" is the same as "comment ca va"...

vmax @ Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:25 pm

baywee....is mais oui.......meaning OF Course

wayon... is more like AS IF.

ManifestDestiny @ Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:34 pm

I love French Canadians some of my best single days were spent in Montreal.

Brunswicked @ Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:37 pm

That is kind of unfair wouldn't you think? I know many French people and my children's father is French. None smell like B.O. That is like saying all Americans are rude just because you meet one or two that are. When infact most Americans are wonderful people.

1  2  Next