Canada Kicks Ass
français vs français canadien

1  2  Next

canadaftw @ Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:38 pm

Pouvez-vous me dire que les différences entre le français et le français canadien?

dino_bobba_renno @ Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:40 pm

French Canadians are much kewler and better lovers :lol:

canadaftw @ Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:51 pm

*facepalm*

That has nothing to do with the language :mrgreen: ... but I'll take your word for it hehe

Brenda @ Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:55 pm

It is SO different... The accent of course... :lol:

I dunno, I couldn't understand my nieces Quebecoise sis in law, but I hardly had a problem on holidays in France with the French :?

Could have been the body language though :twisted:

canadaftw @ Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:58 pm

Brenda Brenda:

I dunno, I couldn't understand my nieces Quebecoise sis in law, but I hardly had a problem on holidays in France with the French :?

I knew that parts of Canada learned different French than the "proper" (nothing meant by that) French. But I didn't believe it until I started posting in this section today and realized that everyone here was only speaking something relatively close to what I learned in high school. That was very daunting for me since I am very good at French and always have been... even though I doubt myself way too much. =/

Arctic_Menace @ Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:04 pm

Quebecois French not only sounds different, but has substituted english words into teh language, as well as adapting certain words to mean something else. For example, when a Quebecer says something like: "Tu toujours m'applaudit...tu es 'hot'!", they are not actually saying that youa re hot, but that you are cool. :)

Also, Quebecois words such as "degeulace(sp?)", "vachement", and the way they say "franchement", become evident of the differences.

But sadly, the most notable difference between French and Quebecois is the prolific use of profanity in Quebecois French. It also deserves to be mentioned that Quebecois swear words are almost always Catholic Church related. "Tabernac", "hostie", "calice" all are swear words and have Roman Catholic roots.

Arctic_Menace @ Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:07 pm

canadaftw canadaftw:
Brenda Brenda:

I knew that parts of Canada learned different French than the "proper" (nothing meant by that) French. But I didn't believe it until I started posting in this section today and realized that everyone here was only speaking something relatively close to what I learned in high school. That was very daunting for me since I am very good at French and always have been... even though I doubt myself way too much. =/

Sorry buddy, but studying proper french in school will never prepare you for the Quebecois... :lol:

canadaftw @ Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:07 pm

LOL Roman Catholic roots... *shakes head*

What I noticed was a lot more usage of the word "que".

And thank you for the info :D

canadaftw @ Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:08 pm

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
canadaftw canadaftw:
Brenda Brenda:

Sorry buddy, but studying proper french in school will never prepare you for the Quebecois... :lol:

zut alors :(

Arctic_Menace @ Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:13 pm

canadaftw canadaftw:
Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
canadaftw canadaftw:

zut alors :(

Nope. In Quebec, they would've said: "Tabarnac..." :P

canadaftw @ Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:20 pm

And what EXACTLY does that mean

Brenda @ Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:25 pm

"Godverdomme" :lol:

canadaftw @ Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:37 pm

fair enough :lol:

kenmore @ Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:46 pm

canadaftw canadaftw:
Brenda Brenda:

I knew that parts of English Canada learned a different English than the "proper" (nothing meant by this either). Fact is there are as many dialects, accents and regional idioms in any language that it is difficult to comprehend. People from Acadia or New Brunswick speak differently than do Quebecois(e). To say that one did not learn "proper" anything is linguistically incorrect. Phrases also come into play.. There are sayings and slang terms in every language. Maybe this will help....Quebec French or Québécois French is a dialect of French spoken natively by the great majority (82.8%, census 2001) of people in Quebec, Canada. It developed out of 17th and 18th century French and in many respects it resembles that more closely than the contemporary French now spoken in France, although it also includes elements of various provincial dialects and Oïl languages.
In Quebec, depending on one's perception of its status as a rightful dialect, the language may be called le français québécois, le franco-québécois or simply le québécois. The somewhat pejorative Joual strictly refers to a particular working-class dialect, but is sometimes used to refer to the entire Québécois dialect.
As of 2004, about 6,700,000 Canadians speak French as a first language, (most of them speaking le québécois or its sister Acadian French), and unlike with most dialects, these figures are not shrinking. For comparison, this is about 9% of the 77 million francophones in the world, and more than 20% of the 32.5 million population of Canada.
Although Quebec French is sometimes thought of as an almost exclusively non-standard variant, and certain aspects of it are sociolinguistically stigmatized, most aspects of Quebec French that distinguish it from the French of France are found throughout the different registers of speech and writing, including standard and formal usage.
Two similar but nonetheless distinct dialects spoken in the province tend to be confused with Quebec French. Those are Saguenay French, spoken in Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean, and Gaspésie French, in Gaspésie–Îles-de-la-Madeleine. French spoken in various parts of Canada will have a regional spin as well as some adopted Anglicisms.. So I ask you... define "proper"

canadaftw @ Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:50 pm

By proper all I meant was the type of French that they speak in France, which is the type I learned in my small town American high school :|

1  2  Next