Canada Kicks Ass
"Peak Oil" is B.S. NASA has the facts.

1  2  3  4  5  Next

Dr Caleb @ Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:31 am

[QUOTE BY= Rabblewatch]<br /> Thus: OIL IS MADE FROM THE EARTH'S TECTONIC MOUVEMENT! IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DEAD DINOSAURS! OIL IS A RENEWABLE RESOURCE!!![/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Wow. You really are in need of help with your logical arguments.<br /> <br /> No, Methane is not oil. Methane is naturally produced on Titan. Water is naturally produced on Earth. Sulfuric acid is naturally produced on Venus.<br /> <br /> They are products of the unique conditions on each planet. They are not related. <br />

Jesse @ Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:36 pm

I watched _The End of Suburbia_ last night. Well worth it; it describes what Peak Oil actually means. It's not that we are going to run out of oil, it is that we will run out of *cheap* oil. More oil is always being created! But unless we have another mass-extinction, there will not be enough biomass(aka hydrocarbons) to create large easily-extracted deposits of crude oil. <br /> <br /> <a href="http://www.endofsuburbia.com/">http://www.endofsuburbia.com/</a><br /> <br /> Both oil and methane can be synthesised from non-biological components; that's basic chemistry. I fail to see how methane on another planetoid helps us get enough oil fast enough to satisfy North American or global consumption. Watch _The End of Suburbia_ for a reality check on what is going on on *this* planet.

Guest @ Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:10 pm

[QUOTE BY= jesse]Both oil and methane can be synthesised from non-biological components; that's basic chemistry. [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Oh Goody! Please show me how I can make oil out of NON-BIOLOGICAL COMPONENTS.<br /> <br /> I'd love to see this 'basic chemistry'. Like, if it's so 'basic' then why doesn't every just make their own oil?<br /> <br /> Oh right, because maybe it's because you're FULL OF CRAP.<br /> <br /> Just like how the sky never turns 'orange'?<br /> <br />

Guest @ Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:12 pm

[QUOTE BY= Dr Caleb] No, Methane is not oil. Methane is naturally produced on Titan. [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Sweet Jesus, when one does not know anything...one can talk brilliantly about anything.<br /> <br /> Yeah, why not try and prove to me that the sky never turns Orange? Jesse is convinced of this. In his world the sky is either blue or black, but never orange.<br /> <br />

Dr Caleb @ Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:55 pm

[QUOTE BY= Rabblewatch]<br /> Oh Goody! Please show me how I can make oil out of NON-BIOLOGICAL COMPONENTS.<br /> [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Coal+water+heat = coal bed methane. <br /> <br /> [QUOTE BY= Rabblewatch]<br /> Sweet Jesus, when one does not know anything...one can talk brilliantly about anything.<br /> [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Yes, you prove that nicely. <br /> <br /> Everything here is easily provable. I guess it's easier for a redneck like you to just ignore things that fall outside your scope of knowledge. That being what's printed on the sports page, and 'help wanted' ads.

Guest @ Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:30 pm

[QUOTE BY= Dr Caleb] [QUOTE BY= Rabblewatch]<br /> Oh Goody! Please show me how I can make oil out of NON-BIOLOGICAL COMPONENTS.<br /> [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Coal+water+heat = coal bed methane. [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Where does coal come from?<br /> <br /> ...<br /> <br /> <br /> It's still not too late to admit you don't know what you are talking about.<br /> <br />

Jesse @ Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:21 pm

[QUOTE BY= Rabblewatch] Oh Goody! Please show me how I can make oil out of NON-BIOLOGICAL COMPONENTS.<br /> [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Funny, I was agreeing with you. No need to attack everything I say, even if you don't understand it.<br /> <br /> [QUOTE]<br /> I'd love to see this 'basic chemistry'. <br /> [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Then I recommend you take a chemistry class. Until such time that you have learned some chemistry, you really should not go off yelling about where chemical compounds can and cannot be produced.<br /> <br /> [QUOTE]Like, if it's so 'basic' then why doesn't every just make their own oil?<br /> [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Because it requires apparati that most people do not have, and it is an expensive process. Much the same reason most people do not produce ammonia or sulfur in their living rooms. <br /> <br /> [QUOTE]<br /> Just like how the sky never turns 'orange'?<br /> [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> I said that the sky is not always orange; which is entirely different from saying it is never orange. Perhaps you should take a logic course while you are at it. Personally, I *have* taken courses in both advanced chemistry and logic; as a result, I actually understand why NASA's findings have NOTHING AT ALL to do with Peak Oil.

Guest @ Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:40 pm

<br /> [QUOTE BY= jesse]Because it requires apparati that most people do not have, and it is an expensive process. Much the same reason most people do not produce ammonia or sulfur in their living rooms. [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> You really do sell yourself short. I'm positive that many people can *smell* the sulfur emanating from you whenever you open your mouth.<br /> <br /> [QUOTE]<br /> Just like how the sky never turns 'orange'?<br /> [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> I said that the sky is not always orange; which is entirely different from saying it is never orange. <br /> <br /> Yawn.<br /> <br /> [QUOTE BY= jesse]"Calling Canada "irrelevant" is much like calling the sky "orange"; <br /> doing so won't change a thing, and is contrary to the <br /> available evidence. " [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> You makin' this too easy beotch!<br /> <br /> [QUOTE BY= jesse] Perhaps you should take a logic course while you are at it. Personally, I *have* taken courses in both advanced chemistry and logic; as a result, I actually understand why NASA's findings have NOTHING AT ALL to do with Peak Oil. [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> You also said that you worked in the health industry for years and yet your own McDonalds resume didn't offer a pip of this 'coveted' info.<br /> <br /> Look, you're just a dumbass lacking an education. That's perfectly *alright*. Just don't try and pass yourself off as an intellectual, coz it ain't gonna happen.<br /> <br /> The fact that you believe in 'Peak Oil' thus means that you believe that Oil is a FINITE resource based on FOSSIL FUELS. The whole argument of 'End of Suburbia' is that we are at Peak Oil period and if we don't do anything RIGHT NOW, we are doomed.<br /> <br /> The fact that you didn't bother to call this piece of shit documentary 'scare tactics' only proves my point: You're not only lacking in logic, but also in REASON.<br /> <br /> To be a proponent of Peak Oil, you must first declare that Oil is a FOSSIL FUEL.<br /> <br /> FOSSIL FUELS are of an ORGANIC ORIGIN. <br /> <br /> And after a bit of fucking around with you (Yeah, I was playing Devil's advocate), I now got you claiming that you can make oil out of non-organic compounds, which thus proves my theory that it is possible to have oil without organic matter.<br /> <br /> WHICH MEANS THAT PEAK OIL IS B.S.! BECAUSE WE ARE NOWHERE NEAR 'PEAK'!<br /> <br /> You've just proven yourself wrong!

Jesse @ Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:22 pm

[QUOTE BY= Rabblewatch] <br /> You've just proven yourself wrong![/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Guest @ Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:11 pm

[QUOTE BY= jesse] [QUOTE BY= Rabblewatch] <br /> You've just proven yourself wrong![/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Truly, you have a dizzying intellect. [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> I didn't just get a free t-shirt when I joined Mensa.<br /> <br /> So maybe you can help me...where does COAL come from?

badsector @ Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:18 pm

The oldest trick in the book is that prices can be inflated by creating an artificial shortage. It works! Yes, we will run out of oil sometime and no, we are not at that point yet. If oil was about to run out, would the US have spent trillions to invade the oil wells? Why aren't G8 governments working feverishly on alternative fuel? Development in that area is not exactly supported, in fact sometimes hampered. The oil barons want us to use oil and they want it to be really expensive. That's all.

Guest @ Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:15 pm

[QUOTE BY= badsector] The oldest trick in the book is that prices can be inflated by creating an artificial shortage. It works! Yes, we will run out of oil sometime and no, we are not at that point yet. If oil was about to run out, would the US have spent trillions to invade the oil wells? Why aren't G8 governments working feverishly on alternative fuel? Development in that area is not exactly supported, in fact sometimes hampered. The oil barons want us to use oil and they want it to be really expensive. That's all.[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> That can possibly make sense. But if 'Peak Oil' is just a story to basically sell less oil for more (a Capitalists dream), then what are the 'Peak Oil' promoters doing? Are they basically just 'useful idiots' to help evil oil execs make a few billion more?<br /> <br /> "Jesse" made it clear, he believes that Peak Oil is upon us, so much so that he openly promoted a %100 biased Peak-Oil 'documentary'.<br /> <br /> Does that mean "Jesse" is working for Oil Execs, or is he but one of the thousands of 'useful idiots'?<br /> <br /> I'd dare to consider him the latter than the former.<br /> <br />

Dr Caleb @ Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:29 pm

[QUOTE BY= Rabblewatch] <br /> And after a bit of fucking around with you (Yeah, I was playing Devil's advocate), I now got you claiming that you can make oil out of non-organic compounds, which thus proves my theory that it is possible to have oil without organic matter.<br /> <br /> WHICH MEANS THAT PEAK OIL IS B.S.! BECAUSE WE ARE NOWHERE NEAR 'PEAK'!<br /> <br /> You've just proven yourself wrong![/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Ummm, no, your theory was "OIL IS MADE FROM THE EARTH'S TECTONIC MOUVEMENT! IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DEAD DINOSAURS! OIL IS A RENEWABLE RESOURCE!!!"<br /> <br /> Which has nothing to do with Uranus. Oops, I meant Saturn's moon 'Titan'.<br /> <br /> All you've done is shown you don't understand what the peak in 'peak oil' is. It means we've reached the maximum production of cheap oil that can be pumped from the ground for cents a barrel. You also don't understand that any element can be turned into any other, given enough energy.<br /> <br /> [QUOTE BY= jesse] [QUOTE BY= Rabblewatch] <br /> You've just proven yourself wrong![/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Truly, you have a dizzying intellect. [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Definitely wins the 'Dennis Baker Science Fiction' award, 2005.<br />

Guest @ Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:50 pm

[QUOTE BY= Dr Caleb] Coal+water+heat = coal bed methane.[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> *ahem*<br /> <br /> Where does coal come from?<br /> <br /> thank you.<br /> <br /> <br /> (Note to reader): "Dr. Caleb" claims that Coal is a 'non-organic' material. So I'd like him/her to explain to me where coal came from. Y'know...plain 'ole coal. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jesse @ Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:27 pm

[QUOTE BY= Rabblewatch]<br /> Where does coal come from?[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> I kind of assumed you could find this for yourself, but apparently you are unable to use a search engine.<br /> <br /> [QUOTE]<br /> Coal, a fossil fuel, is derived from prehistoric plants that once grew in swamp ecosystems where the degradation occurred under an anaerobic environment in which the low oxygen levels prevented any oxidation to carbon dioxide. It is a complex mixture of carbon, metal compounds and several other compounds such as hydrocarbons, organic sulphur compounds, hydrogen sulphide, ammonia, water, and complex molecules such as tars, which are released – some being burnt - during combustion of the coal. Its composition varies widely according to location. <br /> [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> [QUOTE]<br /> A black or brownish black solid, combustible substance formed by the partial decomposition of vegetable matter without access to air. The rank of coal, which includes anthracite, bituminous coal, subbituminous coal, and lignite, is based on fixed carbon, volatile matter, and heating value. Coal rank indicates the progressive alteration, or coalification, from lignite to anthracite. See anthracite, bituminous coal, subbituminous coal, lignite.<br /> [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> So, coal is formed in much the same manner as crude oil. And, surprise! certain chemical reactions can occur in coal beds involving the coal and water to produce methane gas, exactly as Dr Caleb said. <br /> <br /> Join us next week when I describe to you how plants can actually "create" oxygen out of nothing but rabblewatch's hot air, and as I perform more google searches that he is too lazy to do himself.

1  2  3  4  5  Next