Canada Kicks Ass
2 out of 20

koli @ Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:08 am

just read an article that said on the average canadian nielsen ratings, only 2 shows out of the top 20 are canadian shows, the rest are american. and neither of the canadian shows ever break into the top 10. quite sad. i think we need more QUALITY canadian tv shows.

G-prime @ Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:02 am

I couldnt agree more koli.

One of the main reasons is because netowrks get money from the government to make Canadian content, and Canadian content is nececary. so shows that may not get alot of viewers will stay on the air because the networks still get money from the government.

Also alot of the writers from here, take there ideas to america because we dont have the budgets they want. sci fi and cop dramas that need multiple sets new actors and special effects all the time...

but doors are opening because of shows like Corner gas, a show that is funny and low budget (same setting, same actors, no special fx) which proves that good tv is still possible on a low budget.

i started a thread earlier that has a poll about what Canadian tv shows you would want to see. please check it out, we'll see what kind of show we should create that could get us out of this slump

koli @ Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:05 pm

god that still just seems so weird to me. that our gov't has to make sure that we as canadians receive canadian content through gov't funding. are we the only country in the world who does that?

SwampoO @ Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:09 pm

I just applied to corner gas... =)... but I definatly support candian content, but, unfortunatly its truth is that Canada isn't a market for advertising therefore there isn't much money available to make as high of quality shows as the americans. You have have to consider that Canada's entire population fits into Southern California, so where are you going to spend your money on TV commercials?

CrazyCanuck007 @ Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:29 am

i think there would be more canadian content if the networks were not allowed to simulcast thier signal onto the US station when both are showing the same show.
that way, when thier advertisers walk away due to low ratings, they would be forced to be original.

just my opinion...