Canada Kicks Ass
Lovecraft's Dreamlands being brought to the big screen?

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:02 am

Yoooooo Hooooooo Thanos and Zippy.

I don't know about this. If Del Toro couldn't be convinced to make At the Mountains of Madness, how is Charlie going to produce Dreamlands in a way that doesn't suck?

desertdude @ Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:06 am

Bitten off more than he can chew me thinks

Thanos @ Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:15 am

Doesn't get much more Lovecraft than a Chinese guy with a German accent. Worlds are colliding! Obliterating! 8O :mrgreen:

Dreamlands seems too huge and esoteric for a major push. I'd prefer to see a straight-up movie version of Innsmouth or Dunwich instead as the outlier for a Lovecraftian invasion of film/cable. Marvel needed the big names in the X-Men and Spider-Man to succeed on film before they could move forward with the others like Thor, Cap, and The Avengers. The Lovecraft genre probably needs the same thing, with a straight-up horror like Innsmouth or Dunwich to be the leader before the other stories can follow.

From the super-hero films to Tolkien to GOT, fans are going to have to accept that what's done in the book isn't going to stay 100% pure anyway. The film/TV treatment can't/won't stay faithful to what's in the written stories (which is why someone like Alan Moore immediately has his name taken off of any film version of any of his works). Lovecraft fans might be better off with none of his stuff ever being done. If it's either so low-budget as to be entirely laughable or so mega-Hollywood and CGI'd to death that it's unrecognizable (see Richard Matheson's I Am Legend vs Will Smith's I Am Legend for the most egregious recent example of how easily the business can drain all the life and spirit of the original story out of a film version) then to the real fans it's probably best if it never gets made at all.

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:28 am

The Silver Key or Through the Gates of the Silver Key would even be reaching for it. The Call of Cthulhu sucked.....especially seeing it dealt with Dagon and was a Shadow over Innsmouth retelling.

Lumley's, The Burrowers Beneath, The Transition of Titus Crow and the Clock of Dreams might work. So From Beyond is the only Lovecraft based movie I've really enjoyed, or King's Lovecraft inspired The Mist.

bootlegga @ Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:29 am

Thanos Thanos:
Doesn't get much more Lovecraft than a Chinese guy with a German accent. Worlds are colliding! Obliterating! 8O :mrgreen:

15 years ago I would have agreed with you - but after living in Japan and meeting Japanese people speaking English with a British accent, it's not so strange now.

desertdude @ Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:45 am

The only accent I've heard Japanese speak English with is a Japanese accent.

bootlegga @ Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:49 am

In fairness, she was an exception to typical Japanese.

She was my buddy's girlfriend and she had a Masters in English from a British university. She had a heavy British accent and always said loo, flat, lorry, lift, etc.

It was very bizarro the first few times I met her.

Guy_Fawkes @ Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:57 am

I have only seen one successful adaptation of a Lovecraft story, Dreams in the Witch-house. I highly suggest everyone download it. I think you guys are right though, this guy is taking on a huge task without serious financial and professional support.

desertdude @ Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:04 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
In fairness, she was an exception to typical Japanese.

She was my buddy's girlfriend and she had a Masters in English from a British university. She had a heavy British accent and always said loo, flat, lorry, lift, etc.

It was very bizarro the first few times I met her.

You think thats bizzare, try going on a blind date with someone who you have only spoken over the phone with and has a heavy American accent only for that person to turn out to be Chinese !

And that too someone who has never lived or visited N.America, I asked her how she got her accent, her answer : Watching Con Air over and over again :?