Canada Kicks Ass
Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams lobby to save Kodak film

1  2  Next

bootlegga @ Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:49 pm

$1:
A team of big-name Hollywood directors — including Quentin Tarantino, Christopher Nolan, J.J. Abrams, and Judd Apatow — has reportedly succeeded in breathing new life into the faltering future of celluloid.

The group lobbied a number of Hollywood studio heads into striking a deal with Eastman Kodak to buy a quantity of film stock every year for the next several years, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Most television shows and feature films are now shot on digital video, resulting in a 96 per cent drop in motion picture film sales at Kodak.

Not only would the deal help save the future of traditional film, it would also save Kodak's factory in Rochester, N.Y.

Bob Weinstein, the co-chairman of Weinstein Company, told the Wall Street Journal that he was personally approached by Tarantino to agree to the deal:

"It's a financial commitment, no doubt about it," Weinstein is reported as saying. “But I don't think we could look some of our filmmakers in the eyes if we didn't do it."

It's not clear when the deal will be formally announced, as Kodak is reportedly still hammering out commitments with executives at Warner Bros., Universal, Paramount and Disney.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/quentin-tar ... -1.2722705

Thanos @ Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:59 pm

Hopefully it turns out better than the way JarJar Abrams "saved" Star Trek. :roll:

BRAH @ Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:56 pm

The Star Trek reboot was awesome, the bridge looked like an Apple Store with a blinding lens flare. 8O

raydan @ Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:01 pm

So every time you go see a movie or rent one, part of your money will be used to support bailout a once large corporation that never evolved, now stuck producing a dead end product. 8O

BartSimpson @ Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:05 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Hopefully it turns out better than the way JarJar Abrams "saved" Star Trek. :roll:

I ended up liking the reboot for the reason that JJ killed off forty years of fanboy arrogance by erasing their whole 'universe' and replacing it with a new one.

I love that anymore I never hear anyone going off about what mindless trivia took place in 'Episode 87 of DS9" or some such. It's all been rendered meaningless by good old JJ.

[B-o]

Thanos @ Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:06 pm

Subsidizing the film they use is less offensive than subsidizing the talentless hacky shit that assclowns like JarJar Abrams are going to put on it. There will be no forgiveness, ever, for what he did to Star Trek. :evil:

Thanos @ Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:07 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Thanos Thanos:

I ended up liking the reboot for the reason that JJ killed off forty years of fanboy arrogance by erasing their whole 'universe' and replacing it with a new one.

I love that anymore I never hear anyone going off about what mindless trivia took place in 'Episode 87 of DS9" or some such. It's all been rendered meaningless by good old JJ.

[B-o]

That's just plain wrong. :|

saturn_656 @ Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:20 pm

Thanos Thanos:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Thanos Thanos:

[B-o]

That's just plain wrong. :|

Abrams was just too lazy to maintain continuity. Too much trouble to make a movie in line with canon established over four television series and ten motion pictures.

DS9 needed a movie or two.

peck420 @ Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:28 pm

raydan raydan:
So every time you go see a movie or rent one, part of your money will be used to support bailout a once large corporation that never evolved, now stuck producing a dead end product. 8O

Not only is it a company that is producing a dead end product...it is 'the' company that revolutionized US outsourcing.

If it wasn't for Kodak, US outsourcing would have never come close to achieving the levels that it did.

Bailing out a company that was instrumental in creating the conditions that made bailing out large corporations almost necessary.

Ironic, isn't it.

BartSimpson @ Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:56 pm

saturn_656 saturn_656:
DS9 needed a movie or two.

It still does! And thanks to JJ they can revisit the Bajorans and etc. with a whole new storyline - especially since (old) Spock will likely have given Starfleet all sorts of intel on the future happenings of the galaxy.

BRAH @ Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:09 pm

raydan raydan:

Unfortunately you can't go to the local Block Buster or family owned Video store to rent a movie anymore which sucks. Bailing out Kodak would be llke bailing out GM and we know how well that worked out. 8O

xerxes @ Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:45 pm

No kidding. They only paid back all the money that was lent to them. Those bastards.

Thanos @ Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:15 pm

JarJar Abrams is to Star Trek today what AMF was to Harley-Davidson in the 1970's. Took a legend and turned it into a plastic POS. The douche shouldn't be allowed to operate a slide projector much less control the direction and production of a legacy built by much better creators than he'll ever be. :evil:

BRAH @ Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:25 pm

What GM was to AM General and SAAB.

herbie @ Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:02 pm

The price of progress... film... analogue...
I think totally remember Pavel Bure breaking for the net and going a little fuzzy and forget the pixillated blocks locked on my screen for so long you run for the old radio...
or everyone sparingly taking pics instead of 32 Gigs of out of focus or head half chopped off crap...

1  2  Next