Canada Kicks Ass
‘RoboCop’ Getting Crushed by ‘Lego Movie’ at Box Office

1  2  Next

bootlegga @ Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:18 am

$1:
Warner Bros.’ “The Lego Movie” will be the big winner of the President’s Day weekend box office while openings of Sony’s “RoboCop” remake and Warner’s “Winter’s Tale” look disappointing, early forecasts indicate.

“Lego,” with $80 million in its first week, is showing impressive staying power with a Friday projection around $13 million for a 4-day total ranging from $50 million to $60 million. The computer-animated comedy should surpass “Ride Along” as the year’s top grosser by Sunday.

The “RoboCop” reboot, starring Joel Kinnaman, took in $5 million on Wednesday and Thursday and appeared headed for a four-day total in the high teens — well below recent forecasts and a downbeat portent for a film that carries a $100 million price tag with MGM co-financing. The action film, a remake of the 1987 cop hit, has already grossed $40 million from 27 international markets.

Early results were even gloomier for fantasy romancer “Winter’s Tale” with $4 million on Friday and a four-day total in the $11 million range. “Tale,” starring Colin Farrell and Jessica Brown Findlay has a price tag of nearly $60 million.

Sony-Screen Gems’ “About Last Night” was turning in the best performance of the new entries with about $10 million on Friday for a 4-day cume of mid-to-high $20 millions for the ensemble comedy, led by Kevin Hart.

Trackers noted that Friday’s actual numbers could vary significantly from forecasts, citing improved weather and Valentine’s Day falling on a Friday — which led to to far stronger advance sales than usual.

Universal’s “Endless Love” launched respectably with opening-day estimates from $5.6 million to $7 million. “Love,” which only cost $20 million, could finish the four days with nearly that amount already in the bank.

Sony’s “Monuments Men” was showing respectable legs with forecasts for $15 million for the four days. The George Clooney-Matt Damon starrer grossed nearly $29 million in its first week.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/roboc ... 201104849/

saturn_656 @ Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:22 am

Really? Lego Movie is ruling the box office?

I need to get back to my own universe...

xerxes @ Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:50 am

Of course. Robocop is a vapid remake of a classic movie while The Lego movie is imaginative, funny and very entertaining.

saturn_656 @ Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:00 am

Not saying RoboCop is any good... But an animated movie about Lego's? Bleh.

Yogi @ Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:24 am

THIS is what passes for 'grown up' entertainment!!! :roll: :cry: :roll: :cry: :roll: :cry:

Tyler_1 @ Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:47 am

I am finding it hard to get excited about the legos. :?

Guy_Fawkes @ Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:14 am

You guys have to give the Lego movie a chance, I felt the same way about the Lego animated franchise but the writing is actually quite good. I am way more excited to see that than an CGI remake of Robocop.

MeganC @ Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:37 am

I'm looking forward to "Winter's Tale". The book, "A Winter's Tale", was amazeballs all the way around!

xerxes @ Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:53 am

Trust me. The Lego movie is fantastic. It's not what you think. It's funny, clever, with a very meta ending too. I'm 30 and I laughed my ass off watching it and so did all the other adults in the theatre.

Canadian_Mind @ Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:52 pm

Robocop sucked

Guy_Fawkes @ Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:07 am

I knew it would suck when they let him keep the arm. I am positive the writers and director completely missed the undertone of the first one. All they wanted to do was make a flashy robot drama movie.

BartSimpson @ Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:18 am

I was disappointed to find out that the Lego movie didn't feature a certain character as it's obvious principle character:

Tyler_1 @ Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:50 am

I watched the trailer, Batman and Wonder Woman are in it! :P

bootlegga @ Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:07 am

xerxes xerxes:
Trust me. The Lego movie is fantastic. It's not what you think. It's funny, clever, with a very meta ending too. I'm 30 and I laughed my ass off watching it and so did all the other adults in the theatre.

Concur - I look the little one to see it and it was as funny for me as it was for her.

Kids movies have changed dramatically from what used to be made 10 or even 20 years ago - nowadays they have material for both kids and the adults who take them.

BartSimpson @ Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:29 am

DonnaWho DonnaWho:
I watched the trailer, Batman and Wonder Woman are in it! :P

But what's a Lego movie without Legolas? :(

1  2  Next