ShepherdsDog @ Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:26 pm

Inside we're all African

BeaverFever @ Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:26 pm

Says your wife.

Booyaa HappyNew Year

BRAH @ Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:27 pm

Jin-Gitaxias Jin-Gitaxias:
raydan raydan:
I wonder why Stormtroopers wear armor... because let's face it, it doesn't seem to protect them from anything. :?

It makes them look cool.

The armor and helmet is why they have the worst aim in the Galaxy.

Jin-Gitaxias @ Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:18 am

BRAH BRAH:
Jin-Gitaxias Jin-Gitaxias:
raydan raydan:
I wonder why Stormtroopers wear armor... because let's face it, it doesn't seem to protect them from anything. :?

It makes them look cool.

The armor and helmet is why they have the worst aim in the Galaxy.

Not True

Greedo missed Han ... at point-blank range.

stratos @ Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:20 am

Han fired first.

Jin-Gitaxias @ Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:07 am

stratos stratos:
Han fired first.

Not Anymore

421_434_226 @ Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:57 pm

Kid went and saw it really enjoyed it, me I will probably wait till it is out on blue ray

Jabberwalker @ Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:15 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
raydan raydan:

It makes Black guys white?

Becoming a Democrat can do that.

kitty @ Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:38 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
Personally, I thought Kylo Ren was a good bad guy UNTIL he took off his helmet. After seeing that giant mop of hair, all I could think of was Rowlf the Dog from the Muppets.

Kylo Ren, the "bad guy" was only good with his helmet on. I know Adam Driver from the HBO series Girls. I liked him in the beginning of the show but when he cheats on his girlfriend I started calling him "dogshit". I could not make the connection to him as a powerful villain, just a weak dumb man that thinks with his di... light sabre.
:evil:

Toro @ Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:15 pm

What a mediocre movie.

BartSimpson @ Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:45 am

Okay. I took the afternoon off yesterday and saw this movie in 3D IMAX (which wasn't all that great an effect, really).

A few comments:

1. Luke Skywalker is the greatest living Jedi and a master of the Force who spent a lifetime honing his skills. Rian (Daisy Ridley) comes along and in the space of a few minutes in the movie has the same skills with the Force as Obi Wan and is so badass with a light saber that the very first time she uses one she defeats the Dark Side's best guy.

Girl power for the fake. :roll:

She's going to be revealed as Luke's daughter or else she'll be revealed as a Kenobi. Either way...bullshit. The power and skills are coming to her way too easy and if she'd had them all along then she'd have known about it long before the events of this film.

2. The Death Star redux. Can't Disney come up with a more original plot device?

3. The Republic died too easy. Lazy effort on the part of Disney's writers. It's almost like they said, "Fuck, we only have about two hours to work with here, how can we kill off the Republic in one shot?"

4. TIE fighters are using the same weapons systems after thirty years? Lame.

5. X-Wing fighters are using the same weapons systems after thirty years? Lame.

6. The same Star Destroyers that litter Jakku are still in use despite their obvious uselessness? Lame.

7. Again with the desert planet thing. As if a real planet will be all forest (Endor), all desert (Tatooine, Jakku), or etc. Unrealistic, simplistic, and lame.

8. The person who has to be the happiest about the NEXT Star Wars movie has got to be Harrison Ford. If you've seen this movie then you know why I'm saying that. 8)

Thanos @ Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:25 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Okay. I took the afternoon off yesterday and saw this movie in 3D IMAX (which wasn't all that great an effect, really).

A few comments:

1. Luke Skywalker is the greatest living Jedi and a master of the Force who spent a lifetime honing his skills. Rian (Daisy Ridley) comes along and in the space of a few minutes in the movie has the same skills with the Force as Obi Wan and is so badass with a light saber that the very first time she uses one she defeats the Dark Side's best guy.

Girl power for the fake. :roll:

She's going to be revealed as Luke's daughter or else she'll be revealed as a Kenobi. Either way...bullshit. The power and skills are coming to her way too easy and if she'd had them all along then she'd have known about it long before the events of this film.

NWRONG! Quit listening to those evil MRA websites that hate female heroes. Force-sensitives have always shown themselves to be oddly skilled in certain respects even without formal training by a Jedi master or Sith lord. Luke himself was just like Anakin in that he was already a wildly good self-taught pilot before he sought out Yoda. Rey (not Rian) is just very strong force-sensitive. That's why she had the innate skills to get the Falcon going again as well as to hold her own against a wounded Kylo Ren in the lightsabre duel.

As for Luke, we don't know his status. I personally think that he went into exile in order to break the paradigm of Sith vs Jedi, that he's become something bigger than either and that he's the first high-powered force-sensitive to finally balance the dark and the light. There are no masters or lords remaining, aside from Luke, and that's why the younger sensitives like Rey are either on their own now or have fallen under the shadow of hacks like Snoke the way Kylo Ren has.

$1:
2. The Death Star redux. Can't Disney come up with a more original plot device?

Agree with that. That's why Disney screwed up big with getting rid of the expanded universe. A massive imperial fleet, which was barely damaged at all at the battle of Endor, under the leadership of someone like Grand Admiral Thrawn would have been hugely refreshing to see instead of another wasteful mega-weapon. Seriously, it's like the way Hitler did things at the end of WW2. An extra 3000 upgunned Mark IV panzers would have made a much better difference for the Germans than those 500 wasteful King Tigers ever did. Ditto with just building more star destroyers instead of another silly Death Star.

$1:
3. The Republic died too easy. Lazy effort on the part of Disney's writers. It's almost like they said, "Fuck, we only have about two hours to work with here, how can we kill off the Republic in one shot?"

Agreed. It was like the silly transporter in Abrams Star Trek that can beam people across entire sectors. He has some fetish with long distances. What happens with the Republic now is interesting with what was their main government system being destroyed though. The books and other sources of background politics that are slowly being released should fill the void hopefully.

$1:
4. TIE fighters are using the same weapons systems after thirty years? Lame.

5. X-Wing fighters are using the same weapons systems after thirty years? Lame.

One of the things I've noticed going from Episode I (the height of the Old Republic) to Episode VIII is the general sense of architectural and aesthetic decline and degraded state as the galaxy went from some kind of democracy to a brutalist empire and now to what appears to be a post-empire dark age. For example I don't think we'll see again anything as just plain visually beautiful as the silver Naboo cruiser that Senator Amidala had. I don't know if Lucas or his successors planned this on purpose but it really does reflect what happens when a political system and overall culture devolves into utilitarianism and suffers from multiple decades of rebellion and civil war.

$1:
6. The same Star Destroyers that litter Jakku are still in use despite their obvious uselessness? Lame.

Umm, no. The background details that're slowly being built up have indicated that the battle of Jakku happened not too long after the battle of Endor. An Imperial fleet lost a major battle to the Rebels and the junk on the planet is a result of that. All those ships were wrecked long ago and now only serve as a source of income for scavengers like Rey. The First Order ships have nothing at all to do with the wrecks on the surface of Jakku.

$1:
7. Again with the desert planet thing. As if a real planet will be all forest (Endor), all desert (Tatooine, Jakku), or etc. Unrealistic, simplistic, and lame.

I guess, but I suppose it has to do with having to set these films in places where oxygen-breathers can walk around without being killed by the environment. Pretty much eliminates settings like water-worlds, airless moons, or gas giants.

$1:
8. The person who has to be the happiest about the NEXT Star Wars movie has got to be Harrison Ford. If you've seen this movie then you know why I'm saying that. 8)

I thought it was well handled. The only part I didn't like was that Chewie should have gone on a berzerker rampage after it happened to his best friend.

I'm hoping that someday there's a massive director's cut/special edition released that fills in the holes. It'd probably have to be some kind of three-hour long thing like the LOTR and Hobbit special editions were because the background universe is so huge and detailed it deserves more than to be trimmed down for the inability of theatre-goers to hold their piss in for more than two hours after gulping back a giant Coke. Personally I really liked TFA. It has problems of course but it turned out to be far better than I ever thought it would.

Tyler_1 @ Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:33 am

I haven't watched it.
The first movie was SO AWESOME cause I was a kid and still remember how me and my BF's eyes were all popped out after! [cheer]
I saw the other two but ignored the next three. :?
I am a Star Wars Fail. [B-o]

BartSimpson @ Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:40 am

@ Thanos: "Rey" is a nickname. The character's name in the story is Rian, pronounced as 'Ray-on'.

Hopefully she doesn't wrinkle up when washed and dried.

Oh, and Daisy Ridley reminds me of Summer Glau.

Thanos @ Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:34 am

Bump, for potentially awesome news. [cheer]

http://io9.gizmodo.com/grand-admiral-th ... 1783779089

As far as dedicated SW fandom goes this is like winning the lottery. It's nothing but a positive if the greatest old-EU character is being added into the new-EU. No confirmation yet if Thrawn will be included somewhere besides the Rebels cartoon but with the vast array of movies that Disney has planned for SW at least there's now a chance it might occur. Can't think of anything better than to see something along the lines of a Thrawn-centric movie that bridges some of the gap between the destruction of the second Death Star and the rise of the First Order. At any rate with Thrawn's "return" and Ben Mendelsohn's Director Krennic character in Rogue One it appears that they'll finally show some Imperial characters besides Darth Vader that are actually competent at their jobs instead of just the cardboard cutout bootlicks and doormats that seemed to populate the Imperial ranks from the original trilogy. Good news because the new bad guys are showing that Disney is trying to break some of the 100% good vs 100% bad black-and-white worldview that the first two trilogies were centered around.

Previous  1  2  3