Canada Kicks Ass
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

BartSimpson @ Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:31 pm

Last night I got to attend a preview of the new Star Wars movie and I have to say it was pretty damned good!

The movie is the middle of the three installments in the current canon and in many ways it was far better than the first installment.

The main characters have already been introduced and this was about developing their relationships and motivations. The secondary characters were also developed and I appreciated this because when something happened to these characters you cared about them. They weren't just mere props that got blown up or etc.

The action in the movie was slower in the first half than the second but still interesting and important to the second half.

Spoilers:

Luke Skywalker died. He wasn't killed like Han Solo but instead just vanished like Obi Wan Kenobi did.

Rey is now clearly on a path to become a Jedi master.

The identity of Rey's parents was set up to be a big surprise. Maybe she was the twin to Kylo Ren? They certainly do seem to have a connection and not just the obvious connection that gets stated in the movie.

There's a hint at the very end of the film that there's another young Jedi about to rise...reminiscent of a young Anakin Skywalker. They made this pretty obvious because Anakin was a pod racer, held in slavery, and abused and this new kid is a horse-thingy racer, held in slavery, and abused.

BRAH @ Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:34 am

Meh. [popcorn]

BeaverFever @ Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:43 pm

SPOILERS

WAY too long. Pointless scenes and sidestories that went nowhere. Not one “real” lightsaber duel but we see an interesting fight with imperial guards where Kylo inexplicably doesn’t use the force and is almost killed until he is helped. Rae has zero training but she’s already as skilled as Kylo with the lightsaber (which the film briefly acknowledges but doesn’t explain)

I agree with Brah. Meh. Like every other Star wars movie since the original trilogy.

bootlegga @ Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:36 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
SPOILERS

WAY too long. Pointless scenes and sidestories that went nowhere. Not one “real” lightsaber duel but we see an interesting fight with imperial guards where Kylo inexplicably doesn’t use the force and is almost killed until he is helped. Rae has zero training but she’s already as skilled as Kylo with the lightsaber (which the film briefly acknowledges but doesn’t explain)

I agree with Brah. Meh. Like every other Star wars movie since the original trilogy.

Have to disagree on that, but Rogue One was awesome, and just as epic as the original trilogy movies.

BRAH @ Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:08 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
SPOILERS

Snoke was right Kylo Ren is no Darth Vader he's a whiny bitch like uncle Luke because the Skywalker's are a bunch of whiny bitches, F**k Them!

BartSimpson @ Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:16 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Rae has zero training but she’s already as skilled as Kylo with the lightsaber

She's naturally gifted. A fact that scared the shit out of Luke in the new movie because he realized that she was even more powerful than he is. And he's got nuclear Jedi skillz!

BeaverFever @ Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:21 am

BRAH BRAH:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
SPOILERS

Snoke was right Kylo Ren is no Darth Vader he's a whiny bitch like uncle Luke because the Skywalker's are a bunch of whiny bitches, F**k Them!

And who is Snoke anyway? They tell us nothing about him, no backstory no insight into what he wants, nothing.

Freakinoldguy @ Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:04 pm

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_w ... last_jedi/

I always thought you had to work to get that bad a score on rotten tomatoes but I guess all you have to do is destroy a franchise with PC bullshit. :P

xerxes @ Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:43 pm

I'm going to go against the grain here, because I thought it was great. It was definitely better than The Force Awakens in nearly every way. To me, it was very much like The Empire Strikes back where everything goes wrong for the rebellion and the movie ends on a rather bleak note.

It's not perfect of course; Darth Emo being the worst offender. But IMO, the movie was excellent. The action sequences were enthralling, the part Where Admiral Laura Dern took the cruiser into light speed through the FO super star destroyer was a total "whoa cool" moment for me.

$1:
There's a hint at the very end of the film that there's another young Jedi about to rise...reminiscent of a young Anakin Skywalker. They made this pretty obvious because Anakin was a pod racer, held in slavery, and abused and this new kid is a horse-thingy racer, held in slavery, and abused.

I would disagree. I think that' more of a symbolic scene than foreshadowing.

BRAH @ Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:35 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
BRAH BRAH:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
SPOILERS

And who is Snoke anyway? They tell us nothing about him, no backstory no insight into what he wants, nothing.

Snoke is supposed to be a Sith master? Visually it was good and at least it wasn't recycled material like The Force Awaken.The way the trailer set the film up it would have been great to see Rae turn to the Dark-side. The best film in the trilogy is still The Empire Strikes Back.

BRAH @ Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:15 am

Best review! :lol: