Canada Kicks Ass
The Netflix recomendation thread - No Spoilers

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 ... 43  Next

CanadianJeff @ Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:38 pm

xerxes xerxes:
Yeah...that would be me.

If you want I'd be happy to walk you through the process privately. Just pm me anytime you want.

DrCaleb @ Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:39 pm

"Oddesy 5"

Starring that guy from Robocop, and Chef Gordon Ramsay.

It's a Canadian produced Sci-fi show, that I remembered the first episode being on TV, but missed the rest.

Not a bad show, and it has some interesting moral dilemas. My favourite so far being "What if a computer virus fell in love with you and became your stalker?". /shudders

About half way through it right now, and it's a decent time killer.

xerxes @ Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:20 pm

Finally some new content on Netflix. What I like so far:

Survivors: A show from the UK where a virus has killed 90% of the world's population. It's pretty interesting so far. It's also a very British show; the main villain so far is a guy with a double barrel shotgun.

The Inbetweeners: A show about a bunch of UK high schoolers with the usual priorities: being cool and getting laid. This is a seriously funny show. Watch it and cringe with delight.

The Raid Redemption: An action film from Indonesia about a police unit sent to sort out an apartment complex run by a drug lord. There's some crazy cool fight scenes that somehow are even more brutal than those in Ong Bak.

Also, the fourth season of the IT Crowd is now available.

pong1988 @ Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:33 pm

House of Cards, a Netflix Production is fantastic. They released all 13 episodes at once. Its based on a UK series in the 90's. (And that is also on Netflix.)

BartSimpson @ Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm watching 'Bully' right now and am up to the 1:07 mark. I'm totally disgusted with the public school faculty and administrators who are on video blowing off acts of violence and then blaming the victims for what has transpired. And then they show up at town meetings and deny that there's a bullying problem when one of their students had just hung himself due to the non-stop bullying.

THIS is why God never wanted me to have kids.

If my kid was dealing with this BS at school and some bug-eyed 'educator' told me how the problem was my kid and not the gang of thugs then I'd probably slit his throat and then strangle him with his own tongue.

Indeed, God in all of His wisdom ordained that I should not have children in order to preserve the lives of these useless sh!theels who work in our public schools.

If you have a kid you absolutely need to see this movie. Your kid might be a victim of this crap and if your kid is doing this then you need to see that it isn't just 'good fun' or something you can blow off as 'boys will be boys'.

See this movie. :!:

And thanks to whoever it was who recommended it to me. R=UP

xerxes @ Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:07 pm

I think that was me. And I know how you feel. The movie just turns your stomach at times. The part that really got to me when was when you meet the parents of a boy of 11 who had just taken his life. 11!

Strutz @ Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:34 pm

I'll make note to check out Bully, though I'm quite sure I'll get pretty emotional about it.

I'm still working my way through Star Trek TNG... almost mid-way through season 2 now. I've seen most of them over the years on re-runs but there have been a few that I honestly could not recall ever seeing before which has made it even better to be watching them in order.

I can't believe all the 70's and 80's TV sitcoms and dramas that have been added! Like taking a stroll down memory lane, though some of them were pretty corny. Might watch a few just for giggles. :lol:

xerxes @ Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:46 pm

Same here, though they're a bit newer for me...All these great shows I missed 'cause I was too young to notice or my parents wouldn't let me watch like the X-Files, Newsradio, Sliders, the A-Team...

pong1988 @ Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:17 am

I tried to watch some of the older ones. I was really looking forward to going down
memory lane. But unfortunately, maybe it was a time and place thing, or we're just
used to modern humor, but I ended up finding it somewhat boring. But, the more
content the better!

DrCaleb @ Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:50 am

"9th Company". It's about a platoon of Russian Paratroopers, following them from Basic Training through to a Soviet base high in the Afghan mountains in the late 80's during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan.

All dialog is in Russian, but English subtitled. Typical Russian plot, typical Russian ending. But decent story, they don't gloss over the fact that Afghanistan is not nice to invaders, and based on actual events.

It's not "Full Metal Jacket" or "Platoon", but it's along those lines. Something different.

DrCaleb @ Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:07 pm

Saw a decent out of the ordinary movie, "One Week".

Canadian made flick. The premise is "Guy gets cancer, buys a motorcycle and travels across Canada." Some funny bits, some poingnant bits. A couple curve balls, mostly expected plot but decent movie for the time spent.

Oh, and:

DrCaleb @ Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:06 pm

"Supernatural" is on Netflix now. 7 of 8 seasons. I think it's currently the best show on TV. Perhaps tied with 'Homeland' (also on Netflix).

DrCaleb @ Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:23 pm

"Chasing Ice"

Yes, it's about global warming and one man's attempt to document the changes he sees all around. But no matter what side of the debate you are on, there's some spectacular footage of glaciers and how they move, something anything else is unlikely to come close to.

Tyler_1 @ Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:59 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
"Supernatural" is on Netflix now. 7 of 8 seasons. I think it's currently the best show on TV.

Is Supernatural a "Oh I can't wait to see what happens next episode" kind of show or is it more of a "Monster of the Week" kind? A GOT type or a NCIS one? Or both like a Dexter?
:D

DrCaleb @ Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:30 am

DonnaWho DonnaWho:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
"Supernatural" is on Netflix now. 7 of 8 seasons. I think it's currently the best show on TV.

Is Supernatural a "Oh I can't wait to see what happens next episode" kind of show or is it more of a "Monster of the Week" kind? A GOT type or a NCIS one? Or both like a Dexter?
:D

There is a 'monster of the week', but it's deeper than that. In the background there is also a 'plan'. Most season long 'plans' involve the war between Heaven and Hell, and the Apocalypse. Four Horsemen, Angels, Lucifer and everything. 8O With people (in general) caught in the middle, and the Winchester boys are on the front line.

Classic cars, classic rock, and plenty of good and bad, demons and angels, with the occult and a little religion thrown in. And not just Christian - Hindu, Norse, Judaism.

It can be an edge of your seat show, but it's also got a lot of humour and drama in it.

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 ... 43  Next