Canada Kicks Ass
Why Modern Movies Suck - They're Written By Children

1  2  Next

Scape @ Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:40 pm

Concur!

DrCaleb @ Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:11 pm

Funny how all the good movies were written 100 years ago, or were adapted from Comics.

Scape @ Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:35 pm

Everything happens in cycles.

raydan @ Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:44 pm

Thing is, we've outlived the movie industry's target group.

Scape @ Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:03 pm

Why has the Simpsons gone on for 33 seasons? And that was a rip off of the Flintstones and that was a rip off of the Honeymooners? And I am sure that is a rip off of something Shakespeare did.

Good story is timeless

DrCaleb @ Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:47 pm

I haven't watched the Simpsons for about 20, 25 years?

raydan @ Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:08 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I haven't watched the Simpsons for about 20, 25 years?

Same here.

Something that might interest you guys...

$1:
Studios and distributors generally make more from domestic revenue than from overseas sales because they get a larger percentage. Despite this arrangement, foreign ticket sales became more important in the early 21st century. That is part of the reason why you see more sci-fi, adventure, fantasy, and superhero movies. Action and special effects require no translations. They’re easy to understand, whether you’re in Malaysia or Montana. It is much harder to build a foreign audience for an indie comedy.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/i ... -money.asp

CDN_PATRIOT @ Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:24 pm

Scape Scape:
Why has the Simpsons gone on for 33 seasons?

One of life's greatest mysteries. I used to love watching the Simpsons, but it started to not be funny anymore after about the 7th season. Everything seemed tired or recycled afterwards, and the same goes with South Park. Great for the first few seasons, then declined quickly and became unwatchable. Even Family Guy got repetitive fast, and I liked that show a lot.

A lot of the modern superhero movies lack story and add in too much action and CG in place of substance. Same with the Michael Bay Transformers nonsense, and the reboot Star Trek movies and recent TV series.

I used to go the movies often years ago, but price and lack of anything good being shown turned me off and into a Netflix guy instead. I also have a DVD collection of all my favourites if I want to watch something worthwhile.

-J.

PluggyRug @ Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:42 pm

Same with music, the old composers knew how to write timeless pieces. Today's crap hurts the ears. I stopped listening after Metallica's early stuff. This is one of the reasons I'm learning to play the keyboard. Trying to master some of Scott Joplin' music right now....

Scape @ Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:17 pm

Stargate SG-1 was one of the longest run and one of the best sci-fi Tv series as well and it was all based upon a hoop you walk thru. Every episode was a new universe of possibilities but it was good character development that made it endure. If you don't have that everything else falls apart.

The problem I see in modern cinema is they are trying to be relatable to the new demographic that will provide future profits but in so doing are reinventing the wheel when it comes to the characters they need to hang the plot points on. Since they can't be seen as paternal and every new generation will always rebel against the tropes of the previous generation they need to do this but they end up with plots written by 3 year old's as drinker points out. More punching and crying instead of confronting issues to drive the character development because confrontation is a no-no. Drama is NOTHING without confrontation and this generation abhors anything to do with that.

DrCaleb @ Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:02 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
and the reboot Star Trek movies and recent TV series.

The problem with the movies is they aren't Star Trek movies, they are more like Star Trek done by John Woo. :roll:

The TV series at least are closer to Roddenberrys Trek than the movies.

Scape Scape:
Stargate SG-1 was one of the longest run and one of the best sci-fi Tv series as well and it was all based upon a hoop you walk thru. Every episode was a new universe of possibilities but it was good character development that made it endure. If you don't have that everything else falls apart.

R=UP

I think Stargate worked because it was different. And plausible. And Carter making a Magyver joke in the first episode set the tone for the series. :lol: All sorts of funny little comments through out the series just made it engaging.

bootlegga @ Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:34 am

Scape Scape:

Concur!

I can't say that I disagree really. I find that there are very few movies I watch nowadays that make me want to watch them more than once, but I've got a shelf full of great movies from the 70s, 80s and 90s that I watch over and over.

bootlegga @ Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:44 am

Scape Scape:

The problem I see in modern cinema is they are trying to be relatable to the new demographic that will provide future profits but in so doing are reinventing the wheel when it comes to the characters they need to hang the plot points on. Since they can't be seen as paternal and every new generation will always rebel against the tropes of the previous generation they need to do this but they end up with plots written by 3 year old's as drinker points out. More punching and crying instead of confronting issues to drive the character development because confrontation is a no-no. Drama is NOTHING without confrontation and this generation abhors anything to do with that.

R=UP

Conflict is the base of any good story, whether it's man against man, man against nature, or whatever, and it seems like the current generation doesn't care for real conflict, just CGI effect, car chases and fist fights with no consequences or impact. Combined with most characters getting no arc or development, I think it's why so many movies these days are so forgettable and boring.

Zipperfish @ Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:43 am

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
Same with music, the old composers knew how to write timeless pieces. Today's crap hurts the ears. I stopped listening after Metallica's early stuff. This is one of the reasons I'm learning to play the keyboard. Trying to master some of Scott Joplin' music right now....

My advice...

Scott Joplin's tempo note at the start of The Entertainer reads "Not Too Fast." Too many folks think that you have to play Joplin fast, but it's kinetic feel comes from the ragtime rhythm, not by playing it fast.

Also, practice the left hand twice as much as the right.

Zipperfish @ Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:45 am

So many good movies and shows. We're just spoiled with the sheer number of them. I find a lot of the streaming series are better than a lot of the movies coming out, though.

1  2  Next