Canada Kicks Ass
BossDog: From Ottawa to Pittsburgh

1  2  Next

bossdog @ Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:18 pm

Wow, I can't beleive this forum came up so quickly!

Well, here is my story for those who care...

I met my wife in Florida (who is originally from Pittsburgh) while I was working at USCENTCOM for the CF. She came back to Canada with me but the immigration process was taking much too long and the Canadian border agents were starting to ask for $1000 deposits on my wife when we were crossing back from vacations in Pitt.

Because she wasn't able to work in Canada right away, it was getting too expensive to live. We moved to Pittsburgh after my contract with the CF ended. The cost of living down here is so much lower than it was in Canada. I have lived all over Canada (including the NWT) and I have never lived this well.

The immigration process is much easier and quicker coming to the US than it is going to Canada.

Our plan now is to move back to Florida by fall of 2006.

Sure, I miss my family and friends from Canada. I miss the little things like cigarettes that aren't made of horse shit, Tim Hortons on ever corner, decent beer, etc...

There is a Tim Hortons about 30 mins away in Ohio that we go to about once a month. A case of Blue is only $12. A 60oz bottle of Canadian Whisly is about $13. Our rent is dirt cheap. A months worth of groceries is about $100. All in all, this hasn't been a bad experience.

I would really like to meet up with some other Canadians in this area but Sidney Crosby keeps telling me that he's too busy to hang out. lol

High School football was one of the hardest things for me to get used to. The level that it reaches in the communities is unreal. Sold out Friday night games, police everywhere, flags flying, etc. I thought I was in a Disney movie after the first game I went too.

I'll add more to this thread as I think of it.

BluesBud @ Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:27 pm

If you ever make plans to find your way back to Ottawa for a visit send me a heads up. I will buy the first round. [BB]

bossdog @ Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:19 pm

Thanks man, I appreciate it! Unfortunately, I don't make it back as often as I like and when I do go it's a non-stop clusterphoque. I don't have any plans to head up soon but I'll post when I do!

BluesBud @ Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:25 pm

When were you last here? I suspect it has been some time. You might not recognise the Byward Market.

Streaker @ Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:50 pm

Been a while since I've spent any time in Ottawa but the Byward Market used to be a lot of fun. How's it changed, BB?

BluesBud @ Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:57 am

Deppending how long its been, a few key things have changed. recently a whole row of buldings have been removed between Rideau St. and the market with the facades still in place on Rideau. The conecting walk on William St has been re-done. The courtyard bettween George St and the market has also had a face lift. between York St and Clarence St. is a new courtyard has been made to give a green space to new a new condo complex. Clarence St . now has a full block of Irish pub and eaterys. York St has a row of major restrants namely, Tucker's (formerly Mother Tucker's), The Hard Rock Cafe, The Keg, and across the street Fat Tuesdays (formerly Stoney Mondays). If it has been sometime since you have been there. You will find the that "The Market Mall" is now "The CHUM Media Center" housing "The A Chanel" (a City TV afilliate) studios and a few CHUM owned radio stations.

bossdog @ Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:46 pm

Hopefully the upper level old fish market is still there. One thing I did notice a while back is that you can't walk as freely into the street as you were once able too. Vehicle traffic has picked up in the market - prob becuase of all the commercial venues (ie: hard rock, CHUM).

BluesBud @ Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:22 pm

The Old Fish Market IS still there and still as good as ever. Right next to Fat Tuesdays. You are right the traffic is a little more intence. The parking situatuation is not much better. Another sad change is that The Chateau Lafayette (the oldest public house in the city and posably canada) is now cut in half. The other half is now a Quiznos Subs.

YankGreat @ Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:47 pm

bossdog bossdog:
Wow, I can't beleive this forum came up so quickly!

Well, here is my story for those who care...

I met my wife in Florida (who is originally from Pittsburgh) while I was working at USCENTCOM for the CF. She came back to Canada with me but the immigration process was taking much too long and the Canadian border agents were starting to ask for $1000 deposits on my wife when we were crossing back from vacations in Pitt.

Because she wasn't able to work in Canada right away, it was getting too expensive to live. We moved to Pittsburgh after my contract with the CF ended. The cost of living down here is so much lower than it was in Canada. I have lived all over Canada (including the NWT) and I have never lived this well.

The immigration process is much easier and quicker coming to the US than it is going to Canada.

Our plan now is to move back to Florida by fall of 2006.

Sure, I miss my family and friends from Canada. I miss the little things like cigarettes that aren't made of horse shit, Tim Hortons on ever corner, decent beer, etc...

There is a Tim Hortons about 30 mins away in Ohio that we go to about once a month. A case of Blue is only $12. A 60oz bottle of Canadian Whisly is about $13. Our rent is dirt cheap. A months worth of groceries is about $100. All in all, this hasn't been a bad experience.

I would really like to meet up with some other Canadians in this area but Sidney Crosby keeps telling me that he's too busy to hang out. lol

High School football was one of the hardest things for me to get used to. The level that it reaches in the communities is unreal. Sold out Friday night games, police everywhere, flags flying, etc. I thought I was in a Disney movie after the first game I went too.

I'll add more to this thread as I think of it.

hmmm I love your post except for that horse shit thing.

and oh yes, America, the land of opportunity...the land of freedom for everyone :^)...

Have a good life in the United States of America. And be successful, my friend.

canucker @ Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:07 pm

bossdog bossdog:

I'm in that process right now with Immigration Canada. I think I've pulled out half my hair. But now I'm in that waiting game they love so much.

What I don't understand, is the $1000 deposits? What's that about?

YankGreat @ Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:17 pm

canucker canucker:
bossdog bossdog:

I'm in that process right now with Immigration Canada. I think I've pulled out half my hair. But now I'm in that waiting game they love so much.

Immigration Canada? Aren't you from Canada?

$1000 deposits...probably that's because she is an American. Canadian policy is supposed to be Anti-American. :)

canucker @ Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:29 pm

YankGreat YankGreat:

$1000 deposits...probably that's because she is an American. Canadian policy is supposed to be Anti-American. :)

I am, but my boyfriend is not. He's from Arizona and before that, Boston.

YankGreat @ Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:31 pm

canucker canucker:
YankGreat YankGreat:

I am, but my boyfriend is not. He's from Arizona and before that, Boston.

so, you are bringing him to the dark side. I see....

bossdog @ Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:33 pm

canucker canucker:
bossdog bossdog:

They wanted the deposit to ensure that she would return to the US in a timely fashion. The whole thing was a real pain in the ass - deciding to go to the US has been so much more beneficial.

YankGreat YankGreat:

C'mon - you know the smokes are nasty tasting compared to Canadian cigarettes.

YankGreat @ Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:37 pm

bossdog bossdog:
canucker canucker:
bossdog bossdog:

They wanted the deposit to ensure that she would return to the US in a timely fashion. The whole thing was a real pain in the ass - deciding to go to the US has been so much more beneficial.

YankGreat YankGreat:

C'mon - you know the smokes are nasty tasting compared to Canadian cigarettes.

no. I smoked the Canadian cigarettes and I got throat infection or whatever. When I smoke Marbolo, there is no problem.

the thing is, smoking is bad for you. :lol:

oh well, be successful in America anyway. And I was wondering, are you going to educate your kids in America?

1  2  Next