Canada Kicks Ass
Did you ever dare to eat it?

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

MissT @ Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:12 am

fatbasturd fatbasturd:
no the poo is located in a lobster in the same place as a shrimp in a vein the runs the length of the tail.The tomally is found higher up in the body of the lobster it is the lobsters liver it turns green when cooked and is quite mushy......go here

Government warning Government warning:
some saltwater fish have mercury, PCBs and Dioxins in them.

All these chemicals settle into the ocean from the air. PCBs and Dioxins also flow into the ocean through our rivers. These chemicals then build up in fish.

Small amounts of mercury can damage a brain starting to form or grow. That's why babies in the womb, nursing babies, and young children are at most risk. Mercury can also harm older children and adults, but it takes larger amounts.

While there is no known safety considerations when it comes to eating lobster meat, consumers are advised to refrain from eating the tomalley. The tomalley is the soft, green substance found in the body cavity of the lobster. It functions as the liver and pancreas, and test results have shown the tomalley can accumulate contaminants found in the environment.

Hmm, doesn't sound so tasty to me any more. Is this concentration of toxins in sea food just a problem on the North American Atlantic coast, or do you think it also applies to the West coast and the rest of the world too?

MissT @ Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:15 am

Explorer Explorer:
Can't get good beef in the Philippines.

Ah, but you must have had bistek? Beef steaks beaten so that they are thin and tender and cooked with tons of onions, soy sauce and pepper. You can't tell me you don't find that delicious?

ShepherdsDog @ Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:26 am

MissT MissT:
fatbasturd fatbasturd:
no the poo is located in a lobster in the same place as a shrimp in a vein the runs the length of the tail.The tomally is found higher up in the body of the lobster it is the lobsters liver it turns green when cooked and is quite mushy......go here

Government warning Government warning:
some saltwater fish have mercury, PCBs and Dioxins in them.

All these chemicals settle into the ocean from the air. PCBs and Dioxins also flow into the ocean through our rivers. These chemicals then build up in fish.

Small amounts of mercury can damage a brain starting to form or grow. That's why babies in the womb, nursing babies, and young children are at most risk. Mercury can also harm older children and adults, but it takes larger amounts.

While there is no known safety considerations when it comes to eating lobster meat, consumers are advised to refrain from eating the tomalley. The tomalley is the soft, green substance found in the body cavity of the lobster. It functions as the liver and pancreas, and test results have shown the tomalley can accumulate contaminants found in the environment.

Hmm, doesn't sound so tasty to me any more. Is this concentration of toxins in sea food just a problem on the North American Atlantic coast, or do you think it also applies to the West coast and the rest of the world too?

Now adays this is a problem for any population that eats a fair amount of fish, either salt water or fresh water. Recently a study was conducted in Gimli, MB about how tea seems to counteract many of the negative effects associated with mercury and various toxins found in fish.

Japan really had some serious problems with mercury poisoning resulting in cancer and birth defects in the late 60s and 70s.

http://www.einap.org/envdis/Minamata.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/japan/story/0 ... 74,00.html

http://www.american.edu/TED/MINAMATA.HTM

Makes you think twice about eating seafood, doesn't it?

Hollywood even made a couple horror movies about mutant bears( mercury levels increase the further up the food chain and therefore the severity of the effects do too), loosely based on the evemts that transpired in Japan. It was called called 'Prophecy' and starred Robert Foxworth. An interesting little bit of trivia about this movie:

$1:
Filmed in British Columbia in 1978, this movie marked the beginning of "Hollywood North", the major start to the development of a massive film production business in Vancouver and other parts of the province of British Columbia, in Canada. Since then hundreds of "American" movies have been filmed in the Canadian province.

From IMDb

MissT @ Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:34 am

But surely they drink a lot of tea in Japan too, so it can't be that effective!

ShepherdsDog @ Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:41 am

The amount of mercury that they were exposed to was unbelievable. There was no cumulative effect, which is/was the type of poisoning being studied in Gimli. Read the links related to the disaster.

MissT @ Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:54 am

Hooray for vegetables! (organic GM-free ones that is!)

Blue_Nose @ Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:59 pm

MissT MissT:
Isn't that the poo?
Liver/digestive system.

My mother did some testing for the NSDAF on some lobsters - found that some of the heavy metal concentrations were 100 times greater in the tomalley than in the regular meat. Of course, it depends on the amount of heavy metals and other toxins that the lobster was exposed to.

MissT @ Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:37 am

FatBasturd,

DON'T EAT IT!

NetAbuser @ Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:59 am

I was fishing on the weekend. Met some people from Toronto.

They gave me some chicken feet ! Not drumsticks !! Feet !!!! The little leg part with three tows on it!.

Not much meat on them. Toe jam was the best part.

They where not bad at all.

Snorkmaiden @ Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:56 am

^ Eeew!! PDT_Armataz_01_32

I haven't had any totally disgusting encounters but I've had people tell me about some really gross stuff... a lecturer we once had, had done some charity work in Africa and said that they would eat sandwiches with ants and insects on...the insects were still alive so you had to be quick so that they wouldn't run away..

A friend of mine was in Vietnam a while back and later showed pictures of grilled dog heads, that were sold on the streets... GROSS!! (I have a dog..)

Here in Finland we have this gross-looking Easter dish (maybe Natook has tried it in Sweden..if they even have ot there?), that foreigners find difficult to even try and taste because of the looks of it:

(Mämmi is made with a mixture of water, rye flour and powdered rye malt, seasoned with dark molasses, salt and dried, powdered Seville orange peel — its malty flavour somewhat resembles the Irish beers Guinness or Murphy's Irish Stout, being only slightly sweeter and thicker in consistency.)

Ooh, yes..in Japan I had to try this mix of rice and uncooked egg.. that wasn't too great! The taste was ok but I didn't like the fact that the egg was raw.

MissT @ Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:59 am

Yeah I heard termites are actually pretty tasty. That gloopy brown stuff looks like cake mix, yum!

Snorkmaiden @ Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:13 am

^Most people think it looks like cowsh*t..it isn't so bad though, quite alright..especially to be eaten only once a year.

Cake mix, yum!

Sapper @ Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:43 pm

Ok, I realize I may be accused of narcoposting or what ever you call it but I had a meal I thought you might be interested in.

It was 1994 and I was working for a company called Canadian Fracmaster. We performed some test fracs (oil well production enhancement) in China for various Chinese Production areas. I was following behind the frac crew monitoring the affectiveness of the treatments and so most of the time I was on my own.

The Chinese love to have banquets. I became accusted to eating all kinds of things I'd never considered food before; Locusts, scorpion, baby birds, sparrows, to name a few. I've a pretty iron gut and don't mind trying new things. Most were actually pretty good. At one such banquet I thought I was eating some type of tripe. It was prepared with spices and was actually pretty good. I asked my translator Mr. John what it was.

Mr. John said," It's ah, ... ah part of a cow."

"What part of a cow Mr. John?" I asked.

Mr. John looked a little uneasy but replied, "ah... ahh, it's from down there." He pointed to his crotch.

"The utter, Mr. John?"

"No Mr. Mark" , he replied.

I'm thinking I don't want to know what it was if it wsasn't the utter and it was in the crotch region of a cow now.

But Mr. John stammered on, "It's ah,... ah... ah... the penis."

"Oh Mr. John, then you are wrong." I said.

"It's part of the bull not the cow."

Banff @ Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:36 am

ice cream made with tea leaves and no sweetener or sugar of any kind

Arctic_Menace @ Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:54 am

Dango.....Gyoza......Tasty stuff......

Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next