BeaverFever @ Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:54 am

$1:

DONALD SUTHERLAND
I’m Canadian – and I should have a right to vote

Donald Sutherland
Contributed to The Globe and Mail

Published Tuesday, Jul. 28, 2015 10:56AM EDT
Last updated Tuesday, Jul. 28, 2015 11:50PM EDT

My name is Donald Sutherland. My wife’s name is Francine Racette. We are Canadians. We each hold one passport. A Canadian passport. That’s it. They ask me at the border why I don’t take American citizenship. I could still be Canadian, they say. You could have dual citizenship. But I say no, I’m not dual anything. I’m Canadian. There’s a maple leaf in my underwear somewhere. There used to be a beaver there, too, but I’m 80 now and beavers are known to take off when you’re in your 80s.

We live in Canada all the time we can. Our family house is here. Professionally, I still have to think twice when I say “out” or “house.” I have to restrain myself from saying “eh?”. In 1978, that’s nearly 40 years ago, the Canadian government made me an Officer of the Order of Canada. The Governor-General gave me the Governor-General’s Award a while back. I am on your Walk of Fame in Toronto. My sense of humour is Canadian. But I can’t vote.

Did you know that? If you don’t live here all the time you can’t vote. Americans who live abroad can vote. They can vote because they’re citizens! Citizens! But I can’t. Because why? Because I’m not a citizen? Because what happens to Canada doesn’t matter to me? Ask any journalist that’s ever interviewed me what nationality I proudly proclaim to have. Ask them. They’ll tell you. I am a Canadian. But I’m an expatriate and the Harper government won’t let expatriates participate in Canadian elections.

Did you read the editorial in Le Monde? A full page saying essentially that Canada isn’t Canada any more. That the beautiful, peace-pursuing dream that was Canada, the Canada you once knew and were so proud of, is no longer “Canada.” The article goes on to detail just who we’ve become and it isn’t pretty. It’s very sad. And this new “Canada,” this Canadian government that has taken the true Canada’s place, has furiously promoted a law that denies its citizens around the world the right to vote. Why? Is it because they’re afraid we’ll vote to return to a government that will once again represent the values that the rest of the world looked up to us for? Maybe.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-de ... e25731634/

ccga3359 @ Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:07 am

I am British and I am Canadian. I suppose I could have gone back to England anytime during my adult life but I chose to stay in Canada to raise my family. I vote in canadian elections because that is my right as a citizen. As an expat I cannot vote in Britain, I've been out of the country too long. I'm fine with that. I still follow british politics, the recent Scottish referendum was a nail biter for me, then there's the European question,.I certainly have a strong opinion about that, a very strong opinion as a proud Briton. Still I can't vote there as I dont live there. Nor should I for that very same reason, because I dont live there. I may not have had the choice of coming to Canada as I was was an adolescent but again I could have moved back at any time in the ast 40 years. I didnt because I made a choice, I built a life here. I became a Canadian citizen at the first opportunity becaause that was important to me, it even lists that on British passport. That being said I have to ask, what right do I have to vote in British elections? None at all and I'm fine with that. I am not sactimonious enough to feel I should have any right to effect the way of life to my fellow Britons because I choose to live here rather than there. If I choose to move back to my birthplace then by all means then of course I will vote there at the same time I would self relinquish my right to vote in Canadian politics. Who am I to decide how another should live if I'm not willing to stand beside them?

BartSimpson @ Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:36 am

Until such time as you folks clean out the Canadians-of-convenience who insist on waging war against Canada then it makes sense to prevent emigrants from voting in your elections. Let them come home if they want to vote.

DanSC @ Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:01 am

At least Canada's policy on this issue is consistent.

If I move to Canada, I can vote, despite not being in the USA. If I move to Puerto Rico, I can't vote, despite being within American borders.

CountLothian @ Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:05 am

The question is why, why change the rules right now.

Does Harper realize that anyone of substance does not vote for him? Even if they were Conservatives before, the reform alliance party is by far the lowest common denominator of politics in Canadian history..

Harper has crossed so many lines to aid in his elections.
Criminal activities have been done, he has used social media to fool people , robo calls filled with deceptive tactics.

He has changed the geography of riding boundaries to include urban areas in some city ridings.

So he realizes that the thinking Canadian and upper crust is the enemy and figured out a new angle.

It doesn't work well due to the morons that cling to this pseudo conservative logo. He still reals in the flotsam at the voting booth. Something he obviously aims for.

DrCaleb @ Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:11 am

CountLothian CountLothian:
The question is why, why change the rules right now.

Does Harper realize that anyone of substance does not vote for him? Even if they were Conservatives before, the reform alliance party is by far the lowest common denominator of politics in Canadian history..

Harper has crossed so many lines to aid in his elections.
Criminal activities have been done, he has used social media to fool people , robo calls filled with deceptive tactics.

He has changed the geography of riding boundaries to include urban areas in some city ridings.

So he realizes that the thinking Canadian and upper crust is the enemy and figured out a new angle.

It doesn't work well due to the morons that cling to this pseudo conservative logo. He still reals in the flotsam at the voting booth. Something he obviously aims for.

This was a court decision, not a government one.

ccga3359 @ Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:33 am

I didn't realize that harper was Prime Minister in 1993. From an article in National Post;

$1:
The rule disenfranchising Canadians who have been abroad for more than five years was enacted in 1993 amid debate about the strength of their ties to Canada and their knowledge of domestic politics.

However, the five-year clock reset for those who returned even for short visits until 2007, when Elections Canada began enforcing a requirement for expats to "resume residency" in Canada to regain their right to vote abroad.

So why are they blaming Stephen Harper?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/07/20 ... 33162.html

ccga3359 @ Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:52 am

Fun fact, Keifer Sutherland was born in London England and is a naturalized Canadian Citizen yet makes his home in Montana. Should e be allowed to vote in both Canadian and British elections Donald?

BeaverFever @ Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:15 pm

$1:

Because the Harper government was the one fighting for it in court:

$1:
Expat voters' rights battle costs Harper government $1.3M so far

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/expat-v ... -1.3010206

ccga3359 @ Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:36 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
$1:

Because the Harper government was the one fighting for it in court:

$1:
Expat voters' rights battle costs Harper government $1.3M so far

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/expat-v ... -1.3010206

No, two expats living in the US are fighting for it and are costing Canadians $1.3M. The courts are upholding the 1993 law.

Khar @ Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:44 am

I know its probably not the popular opinion, but am I the only one really finding it difficult to care about whether or not Sutherland gets the vote, or a lot of others? Not on a logistical base, but on a philosophical one?

I get that these two guys are not able to vote, and that they view themselves as Canadian but I agreed with the government argumentation from the CBC article in BeaverFever's post; there is a significant gap between engaging in a political process in a country that other people have to abide by, and engaging in one that you and your neighbours have to. I don't like the idea that my vote is equal to a man who refuses to even maintain a residence within Canada, let alone return for anything longer than a week vacation. Not just because it speaks to the lack of impact that any Canadian decisions play on his life, but also because it brings into question whether or not he deserves to be distinctly called Canadian if he spends the majority of his life immersed in a different nationality and culture.

He may still feel he is Canadian, and he may be Canadian, but if he doesn't engage with the Canadian system on any realistic level for decades at length, does he really deserve the full privileges being a resident of Canada provides? I view suffrage for the disassociated and the apathetic the same way I view Duffy as "living in PEI"; a bit of a joke, one without a real punchline.

When this was made in 1993, one of the main concerns for the Liberals were Canadians of convenience; men and women who spent the minority amount of time becoming an immigrant before returning home with a Canadian passport. It's not rare, there are tens of thousands of people around the world who don't engage with the Canadian political process and don't care to either. The question at the time was quite rightly whether or not being a citizen was enough to guarantee a vote, when engagement with Canadian society and our society's social contract were consistently ignored.

Frankly, I think they made the right decision (I wouldn't be surprised that they were accused of suppressing the conservative vote, given the origins and returnees of many of these people). When someone is gone for a prolonged period of time, the question isn't whether or not they hold Canadian citizenship but whether or not they are making the right decisions or if they hold the right priorities any more. If a person spends two weeks out of ten years here, I don't view them as being capable of making a decision that's good for themselves as Canadians, or themselves as citizens/employees in another country. It's very easy to vote for a party on single issues from abroad when you don't have to deal with the other issues at home.

I don't get to vote in London or Calgary elections, since I now live in Edmonton. I don't get to vote in Ontario elections either. Nor should I; my views and votes would be heavily tinged with an Albertan and Edmontonian view on how we should handle things. I still have family there, and my parents still hold property there (even if they haven't lived there in 12 years) but I don't feel I deserve the vote in those areas. I was a resident, I don't get eternal resident status for obvious reasons; I don't view it as any different when you choose to move to another state. Sure, you might have very good reason to go (and a lot of people get to waive the residency requirement as a result) but even then, the idea that the state and population is beholden to the interests of the permanently absent doesn't make sense to me.

We don't give many ex-pats access to our health care, education, or welfare services because they are not involved in our national community and don't have to contribute meaningfully to Canadian society. I view the vote very much the same way. Giving votes deciding how money is spent, what Canadian's views of the world are, and how we act when the consequences don't reach are equally unfair. Frankly, I think such disenfranchisement meets our Constitutional requirements as a "reasonable [limit] prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society."

Brenda @ Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:26 am

Hi, I am Brenda, I am Dutch and live and pay taxes in Canada. I cannot vote in Canada.
I can vote in the Netherlands.

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:12 am

Brenda Brenda:
Hi, I am Brenda, I am Dutch and live and pay taxes in Canada. I cannot vote in Canada.

Read Khar's post. It explains quite clearly why Sutherland and other ex-pats can't vote.
For example, come time to vote, how do you differentiate between a genuine ex-pat and some worthless plastic Canadian without resorting to "racial profiling"?

DrCaleb @ Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:19 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
Brenda Brenda:

Read Khar's post. It explains quite clearly why Sutherland and other ex-pats can't vote.
For example, come time to vote, how do you differentiate between a genuine ex-pat and some worthless plastic Canadian without resorting to "racial profiling"?

I think Sutherland meets the criteria to vote; he is a citizen, he owns property in Canada, and he pays taxes in Canada. Brenda is not a citizen, nor does she choose to be. Sutherland chooses to remain a Canadian citizen.

Khars' and the Governments point about whether a voter is 'engaged' enough while living outside Canada I think it moot. How is voter turnout for those living inside Canada? 60%? So there is no guarantee that living inside Canada means the voter is engaged or not. Nor do I think that living outside Canada disinterests one from following Canadian Politics.

ShepherdsDog @ Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:52 am

Then, there are all those Canadians who live in Canada, pay Canadian taxes, complain about things....yet can't be bothered to vote.

1  2  3  4  5  6  Next