Canada Kicks Ass
Justin Trudeau blasted for defending Senate

1  2  3  4  5 ... 12  Next

jj2424 @ Mon May 27, 2013 6:24 am

Tories, NDP accuses Trudeau of pitting region against region in comments on Senate

Liberal leader Justin Trudeau, who has surged into first place in opinion polls, was hammered by opponents Sunday for arguing Canada should keep the Senate because it gives Quebec a big advantage over B.C. and Alberta.

“We have 24 senators from Quebec and there are just six from Alberta and six from British Columbia. That’s to our advantage,” Trudeau said in response to the new NDP push to have the scandal-plagued $91.5-million-a-year upper chamber abolished.

“To want to abolish it, that’s demagogy. It has to be improved,” he said in a story published Saturday in Montreal’s La Presse newspaper.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Justin ... z2UV0Mfh99

:lol:

Good thing he's a federalist :P

Zipperfish @ Mon May 27, 2013 8:29 am

deflection time, is it? :lol:

OnTheIce @ Mon May 27, 2013 8:32 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
deflection time, is it? :lol:

Says the guy deflecting from the issue with a comment about deflection.

Ironic. :lol:

raydan @ Mon May 27, 2013 8:44 am

Sorry, The Vancouver Sun is a Conservative leaning newspaper... anything they say about the Liberals is a flat out lie.

GreenTiger @ Mon May 27, 2013 8:48 am

There are times that a think that the Canadian Senate is of more use to Canada than the US Senate is to US.

andyt @ Mon May 27, 2013 8:51 am

raydan raydan:
Sorry, The Vancouver Sun is a Conservative leaning newspaper... anything they say about the Liberals is a flat out lie.

You've got it wrong. They're a bunch of leftists, so if they report something critical about a commie like Trudeau, you gotta know it's true. It's only if they write critical pieces about the Reformacons that they're obviously lying and just following their agenda.

raydan @ Mon May 27, 2013 8:53 am

Look at how many Leftist papers there are. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspaper_ ... tion,_2011

andyt @ Mon May 27, 2013 8:57 am

That's just people with a leftist agenda posting on Wiki.

Unsound @ Mon May 27, 2013 8:59 am

Partisan hackery aside... :)

Trudeau is making it increasingly hard to take him seriously as a national leader. Whether he meant it the way it sounds or not, it sure sounds bad.

andyt @ Mon May 27, 2013 9:00 am

Agreed. We and them - what kind of language is that for somebody that wants to govern all of Canada.

2Cdo @ Mon May 27, 2013 9:00 am

Without getting into a pissing match about which paper supports which party I'm just glad Trudeau is out there talking to the public. The more he speaks, the less chance he ever has of ruining this country. 8)

raydan @ Mon May 27, 2013 9:10 am

2Cdo 2Cdo:
Without getting into a pissing match about which paper supports which party I'm just glad Trudeau is out there talking to the public. The more he speaks, the less chance he ever has of ruining this country. 8)

I'm just having fun because since I've been on CKA, I've always heard everybody here say how Liberal leaning all the papers are and it's just not true. The only important Canadian paper that didn't back anybody in the last election was, strangely enough, my local paper... Le Soleil de Quebec City who recommended voting for the best local candidate. :D

FieryVulpine @ Mon May 27, 2013 9:10 am

I might as well ask this question I had on my mind since this story came to my attention. Where do you guys stand on the Senate? With Justin Trudeau in keeping it or with Thomas Mulcair in scrapping it? I must admit that abolishing the Senate appears to be the more enticing of the two after the recent scandals.

2Cdo @ Mon May 27, 2013 9:13 am

FieryVulpine FieryVulpine:
I might as well ask this question I had on my mind since this story came to my attention. Where do you guys stand on the Senate? With Justin Trudeau in keeping it or with Thomas Mulcair in scrapping it? I must admit that abolishing the Senate appears to be the more enticing of the two after the recent scandals.

The Senate is not a bad idea, it's just poorly set up. There should be term limits and an equal number of senators per province and the total number should be far lower than what it is presently.

FieryVulpine @ Mon May 27, 2013 9:15 am

So something like six seats per province?

1  2  3  4  5 ... 12  Next