Canada Kicks Ass
NDP's dramatic rise in polls continues

1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

andyt @ Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:19 am

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/decision-canada/dramatic+rise+polls+continues/4674171/story.html

A little out there, but:

$1:
Graves said current figures suggest the NDP could take a "breathtaking" 100 seats. With that count, the once-unthinkable scenario of a Layton-led coalition with the Liberals begins to emerge, he said.

commanderkai @ Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:25 am

Not happening. They might outdo their own record of...40-something seats...maybe, but it's highly unlikely they'll achieve that amount of seats. Polls usually overestimate the actual turnout for the NDP.

OnTheIce @ Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:46 am

The rise of Layton has been impressive but typically, NDP support is soft. However, usually the soft votes bleed to the Liberals and that won't happen this time.

CommanderSock @ Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:57 am

Hell hath no fury like liberals scared (of a federal Conservative majority).

Don't underestimate the ability of Quebeckers to carry a party, it is Canada's 2nd most populous province after all.

Curtman @ Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:07 am

$1:
"It's hard to imagine a 130seat diminished Harper government would be able to hold on to power against a clear majority of seats and a major advantage in popular support for the NDP and the Liberals," Graves said. "The idea that you could have a Jack Layton-led coalition sounds preposterous, but that's what the numbers suggest."

Thanks for this good news story Andy.

R=UP

Bruce_the_vii @ Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:23 am

$1:
"It's hard to imagine a 130seat diminished Harper government would be able to hold on to power against a clear majority of seats and a major advantage in popular support for the NDP and the Liberals," Graves said. "The idea that you could have a Jack Layton-led coalition sounds preposterous, but that's what the numbers suggest."

Jack had edged up in the polls. Where's this suggestion he's going to take over.

FieryVulpine @ Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:28 am

The question is: would the Liberals even want to be a junior partner in an NDP-led coalition? Knowing their arrogant and entitled attitude, I'm skeptical they would but if they were desperate enough for even a scrap of power... then it is a distinct possibility.

I'm even more skeptical that Jack actually cares. He's doing it for himself like any self-respecting politician. Any claim otherwise is a damn lie or delusional.

Proculation @ Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:33 am

commanderkai commanderkai:
Not happening. They might outdo their own record of...40-something seats...maybe, but it's highly unlikely they'll achieve that amount of seats. Polls usually overestimate the actual turnout for the NDP.

The last polls here predict 30-40 seats ONLY in Quebec. Don't forget the insanity of Quebec voters.

Curtman @ Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:33 am

Bruce_the_vii Bruce_the_vii:
$1:

Jack had edged up in the polls. Where's this suggestion he's going to take over.

It's been a suggestion for 2 or 3 years now.

Layton for prime minister? If there is a coalition, most Canadians say yes to Jack
$1:
If Canadians find themselves being governed by a Liberal-NDP-Bloc Quebecois coalition following the May election, they want to see NDP leader Jack Layton become prime minister, results of an exclusive poll for Postmedia News and Global National released Friday suggest.

Only 27 per cent of the poll's respondents said they'd want Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff to be top dog, compared to 14 per cent who support Bloc leader Gilles Duceppe and 59 per cent who said Layton.

ShepherdsDog @ Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:35 am

FieryVulpine FieryVulpine:
The question is: would the Liberals even want to be a junior partner in an NDP-led coalition? Knowing their arrogant and entitled attitude, I'm skeptical they would but if they were desperate enough for even a scrap of power... then it is a distinct possibility.

I'm even more skeptical that Jack actually cares. He's doing it for himself like any self-aggrandizing politician. Any claim otherwise is a damn lie or delusional.

Fixed for accuracy :lol:

FieryVulpine @ Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:36 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Fixed for accuracy :lol:

Touche, my friend. Touche.

GreenTiger @ Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:18 am

FieryVulpine FieryVulpine:

I'm even more skeptical that Jack actually cares. He's doing it for himself like any self-respecting politician. Any claim otherwise is a damn lie or delusional.

Self Respecting Politician? That would be like finding a virgin in a whore house.

commanderkai @ Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:45 am

Proculation Proculation:
commanderkai commanderkai:

The last polls here predict 30-40 seats ONLY in Quebec. Don't forget the insanity of Quebec voters.

As much as I'm optimistic that the Bloc might be destroyed, I don't think the Bloc is out of the running yet. The Conservatives have a good chance to take some urban, English speaking Quebec areas, though they'll still probably be red.

We'll see, but I'm not seeing Layton going past 100, even if he scores a good chunk of Quebec.

GreenTiger @ Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:09 am

I know the NDP is a left-of-centre party, but is is it more "left" than the liberals?

Lemmy @ Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:23 am

Historically they were. Not so much any more. The Liberals are now the "right" in Canada, with the Conservatives and NDP farther left.

1  2  3  4  5  6  Next