Canada Kicks Ass
Any REAL Spicy Food Lovers on CKA?

1  2  3  Next

BeaverFever @ Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:06 pm

I like to consider myself a "serious" Chili-head. It started in my youth, way back when I thought Tabasco (and later Frank's Red Hot) were actually hot. But now they just taste like flavoured vinegar.

Over the years, I've ended up building my "heat" tolerance to the point where just about anything labelled 'spicy' on a restaurant menu doesn't really do it for me anymore. I really have to go the extra mile to find something that tests my boundaries.

I find that Canadians, in general, are not particularly fond of of spicy food and it's difficult to find a restaurant that will serve something decent. Food Network has lots of shows about hot food in the US...are there any heat-seekers out there on CKA that can recommend a good REAL hot food place north of the border?

Gunnair @ Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:14 pm

Love spicy food! Have not found many spicy food places on the wet coast though.

sandorski @ Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:15 pm

I love spicy. Indian restaurants are good places for spicy.

I get most of my spicy needs from throwing a Habenero(sp) pepper into most of the things I cook. They are like 11c a piece and pack a whallop.

Gunnair @ Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:20 pm

sandorski sandorski:
I love spicy. Indian restaurants are good places for spicy.

I get most of my spicy needs from throwing a Habenero(sp) pepper into most of the things I cook. They are like 11c a piece and pack a whallop.

Chinese hot chile oil is good to!

Caelon @ Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:25 pm

Real spicy food is a hap hazard experience. Some pubs will have suicide hot wings that can be anywhere from 'is that all?' to painful. Some times an east Indian restaurant will make it to Indian tastes, but most often it is toned down for westerners. Same thing applies to Indonesion and asian restaurants. Most tone down the spicy dishes for a western pallet. If you find a place that you like then you can talk to the staff about adding extra spice to a dish.

Your best bet is to do it at home. Some sauces that go beyond the flavoured vinegar are Samba (Indonesian), Matuk's Calypso Hot Sauce, Screamin' Hot Sauce, Satay (go for the brighter red ones) and anything with Scotch Bonnet peppers as the first ingredient.

Now here is a nice condiment with BBQ steak. Stir fry some fresh mushrooms with a teaspoon of light cooking soy and some Frank's Red Hot (can substitute your favourite hot sauce). The cooking plus the salt in the soy brings out more heat from Frank's than you thought was there. WARNING for those that are not at BF's level, experiment with a dash of hot sauce and then build up to your comfort zone.

raydan @ Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Big spicy food lover here but I've been disappointed too many times in restaurants. Sure, there are a lot a very good restaurants in Québec City, but either they cater to the tourists and so are too pricey for my budget or they don't appeal that much to me.

The solution I took is to cook my own... Cajun, Szechuan, Mexican, Indian... I make them all and way better, I think than going out. You want spices, you should see my spice collection.

This is where I buy them...

herbie @ Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:35 pm

Picked up some hot Vindaloo sauce at an EI store in Abbotsford and made Beef Vindaloo for dinner one night.
The old lady likes it even hotter than me, raised on Szechuan food and she took a bite and spat it out. You trying to KILL ME???????

Whoops! Unlike the shit they sell here up north, you're supposed to use 3-4 tbsp not the whole damn jar..... :D

Unfortuately, once you live Beyond Hope anything labelled spicy means you can taste something. We pack a jar of chile oil in her purse if we go for Chinese....

Guy_Fawkes @ Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:25 am

I find myself kicking up most of my food since as the rest of you have said; it's not as spicy as advertised. I find that Dave's Insanity are able to give a wallup but still have a great flavor if you can stand the heat.

Lemmy @ Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:29 am

When you marry into a Carribean family, you better like the heat. For hotsauce, you need to go for habaneros (Scotch bonnets). There are so many varieties and a lot of them are just bottled heat with no real flavour. I prefer Mama Africa sauces for spicing things like soups, chili, taco filling, etc.

If you're looking for a restaurant with tasty, spicy food, there's lots of good spots in Toronto, but our favourite is Harlem on Richmond near Jarvis. It's soul food and they have lots of spicy items and if you ask for spicy, you'll get it. Their habanero lime sauce will blow your mind.

ShepherdsDog @ Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:39 am

I like a spicy food with flavour. If it's just overwhelming heat and that's all you experience.....no thank you. Ginger Beef(kick ass hot from Sezchuan) is one of my favourite chinese dishes....hot and sweet

Lemmy @ Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:51 am

Exactly. If all you want is heat, fine, just power the habanero sauce to anything. But the beauty of good, spicy food (whether Caribbean, Indian, Chinese, Mexican, Thai, etc) is to balance that heat with the composition and depth of flavours.

All this talk has me horny for hot and sour soup from the Chinese joint up the road. I'm going there for lunch now and nothing's gonna talk me out of it at this point. [drool]

edit for Tarzan talk missing verb

ShepherdsDog @ Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:02 am

I was pleasantly pleased to find decent Chinese food(actually a mixture of Japanese and Chinese) right in Neepawa Due to an expanding hog operation there has been a major influx of Asians into the area. First Koreans and then a whole whack of Filipinos. Wonderbread white is starting to look more like 60% whole wheat in Brandon and Neepawa

Jughead @ Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:41 am

sandorski sandorski:

Same here. I go for the orange habanero peppers. I mix them with guacamole sauce, onions and tomatoes when I make myself some carne asada burritos. Adds a lot of spice and flavor to the burrito. :)

herbie @ Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:54 am

Sitting here with a cold and stuffed up head, I'd KILL for some good hot & sour soup....
I was almost a tenant at the old Yang's restaurant at 25th & Main in the 1970s. Used to refer to their Black Pepper Chicken as Screamin' Bejeezuz chicken and dare each other to eat the peppers off the plate.

Zipperfish @ Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:05 am

I've ordered food so hot that the kitchen staff comes out to watch me eat it. :lol:

1  2  3  Next