Canada Kicks Ass
Canada's Crown Royal named World Whisky of the Year

Previous  1  2  3

raydan @ Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:10 am

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
I learned to mix CC with Dr. Pepper a couple years ago. For some reason DP is too sweet with any other whisky, but with Cc it's almost an ideal mix. Anything else gets mixed with CD.

What a terrible thing to do to a Dr. Pepper. 8O

Robair @ Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:40 am

Winnipegger Winnipegger:
Went to the liquor store. Read the news story, so had to find a bottle and read the story on the label. We all have known for years that Crown Royal is the best rye whisky, but lately they've come out with flavours: Crown Royal Apple, Crown Royal Maple, Crown Royal Black, Crown Royal XO, Crown Royal XR Rare Blue. The first two just sound like bastardization, the last two a way to charge more money. I don't know what "black" is. But the new one is "Northern Harvest Rye", and that won the recognition. Regular Crown Royal is a blend, but this one is 90% Rye, with hints of "fruit, cloves and spice". And 45% alcohol, instead of 40%. A touch more expensive.

When I read it, the person behind me was looking around. I pointed out this is the one they're talking about. It was the last bottle on the shelf. He asked if I was going to buy it; I said I just read the label. He said he called around to find a liquor store that had it. When I went to the check-out, an employee told me other stores in the area are sold out. Apparently the bottle that was in my hand was the last one in Winnipeg.

Thanks for the post! I'll have to look into that a little further. Was only aware of the original, haven't had any Crown for probably 10 years.

DrCaleb @ Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:57 am

So, I've had a few snorts, and here's what I think.

It's good. Damn good! Very fruity, nutty start, then the big oaky and spicy middle, then the nice spicy sweet finish. I'm not sure if I think it's really good because I'm supposed to think it's good due to this review, or because I really like it.

More research is required to decide. I'd put it up against any 12 or 15 year old Scotch I've tried.

ShepherdsDog @ Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:35 am

Crown Royal the breakfast drink of championsAlberta government employees. Not just for Thanos anymore. :lol:

DrCaleb @ Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:44 am

It makes a good slushie too. ;) [drunk]

ShepherdsDog @ Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:46 am

:idea: A rye and coke/ginger slushie would be tasty [drool]

CDN_PATRIOT @ Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:11 am

Crown Royal is good stuff, and it was the first whisky I ever had. But personally, I've always been a big fan of Wiser's and Wiser's Deluxe ever since. Canadian Club is okay, but a little grainy compared to others.

-J.

Previous  1  2  3