Canada Kicks Ass
Cookie a day

Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  Next

commanderkai @ Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
you've never had doughnuts? Not a fan of oreos...well the oreo filling is something I dislike. same as fruit cakes. I like the cake(dark or light) and hate the marzipan.

Other than donuts. I know, kinda realized that donuts are deep fried after the fact. I was more thinking of how people deep fried ice cream and chocolate bars. I have no idea how those things taste.

ShepherdsDog @ Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:11 am

Obviously you haven't a drop of Scottish blood in you. Everything and anything can be deep fried.

kitty @ Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:46 pm

Dec 16th - Shortbread Cookies

2 cups (500 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
3-1/2 cups (875 mL) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (125 mL) white rice flour
Granulated sugar for dusting

In large mixing bowl using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar.

In another bowl, combine flours. Using wooden spoon, stir into sugar mixture, in several batches. Knead dough, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.

Roll out to 1/2 cm (0.6 inch) thickness on floured surface and cut into shapes, if desired. Place on ungreased baking sheet about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Prick with fork. Bake in preheated 300F (150C) oven edges brown lightly, about 8 to 10 minutes.

Cool 5 minutes on baking sheets. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Dust with granulated sugar. Store in airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month.

Makes about 60.

kitty @ Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:50 pm

Dec 17th White Chocolate Walnut Cranberry Cookie

1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup (185 mL) granulated sugar
3/4 cup (185 mL) dark brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
2-1/4 cup (685 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
1 cup (250 mL) each chopped: walnuts, dried cranberries, white chocolate

In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla until fluffy, about 2 minutes.

In another bowl, combine flour and baking soda. Beat into sugar mixture, in several batches. Using wooden spoon, stir in walnuts, cranberries and chocolate.

Scoop dough by tablespoon onto parchment-lined baking sheet, about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Flatten with fork or palms into disks. Bake in preheated 350F (180C) oven for 8 to 10 minutes.

Cool 5 minutes on baking sheets. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month.

Makes about 60 cookies

Hyack @ Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:04 pm

Obviously you haven't a drop of Scottish blood in you. Everything and anything can be deep fried.

That may be true, but I met a fellow who ran a small restaurant in northern Scotland who was deep frying his hamburger patties....... I made a friend for life when I made him a "Canadian" cheeseburger on the flat top grill.... :)

commanderkai @ Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:15 pm

I thought that was the Texas culinary motto! :lol:

Seriously though, I didn't know the Scots were famous for deep frying food.

Lemmy @ Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:17 pm

EVERYTHING in Scotland comes with fries. Order a pizza, there's a side-order of fries in the pizza box.

commanderkai @ Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:30 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
EVERYTHING in Scotland comes with fries. Order a pizza, there's a side-order of fries in the pizza box.

Pshhhhh. I was expecting more radical. Like deep fried haggis or something.

Strutz @ Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:42 pm

commanderkai commanderkai:
you've never had doughnuts? Not a fan of oreos...well the oreo filling is something I dislike. same as fruit cakes. I like the cake(dark or light) and hate the marzipan.

Other than donuts. I know, kinda realized that donuts are deep fried after the fact. I was more thinking of how people deep fried ice cream and chocolate bars. I have no idea how those things taste.

I've had deep fried ice cream. Many years ago (shit, now that I do the math, about 27) when I worked as a busser in a Mexican restaurant, it was one of the desserts on the menu. Treated myself a few times to one. Vanilla ice cream rolled in a coating (can't remember what was all in it) then dropped briefly in the fryer, just enough to give the coating a crispiness but without melting the ice cream. Awesome! Oddly enough, I have never seen it offered anywhere else I've been... huh.

martin14 @ Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:00 am

Strutz Strutz:
Many years ago (shit, now that I do the math, about 27)

:lol: :lol:

Frightening, isn't it ?

ShepherdsDog @ Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:19 am

commanderkai commanderkai:
Lemmy Lemmy:

Pshhhhh. I was expecting more radical. Like deep fried haggis or something.

had it!! Think of anything you've eaten. Scots have battered and deep fried it......if you can't die in battle then it better be from a coronary

kitty @ Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:07 am

Dec 18th Chocolate Cherry Drop Cookies

1/2 cup(125 mL) vegetable shortening
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp (2 mL) almond extract
1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp (2 mL) table salt
1 cup pure chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped candied red and green cherries

In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat shortening and sugar. Beat in egg and almond extract.

In another bowl, combine flour, baking power and salt. Add to sugar mixture in several batches. Using wooden spoon, stir in chocolate chips and cherries.

Using tablespoon, drop dough on greased cookie sheet. Bake in preheated 350F (180C) oven, 8 to 10 minutes.

Cool 5 minutes in pan. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week, or freeze up to 1 month.

Makes about 30 cookies.

kitty @ Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:09 am

Dec 19th Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies

1/2 cup (125 mL) each: unsalted butter, at room temperature; smooth peanut butter, granulated sugar, dark brown sugar.
1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp (2 mL) table salt
1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
2 cups of chocolate chips
1 lb (16 oz) bacon, fried and crumbled

In large mixing bowl of electric mixer, beat butter, peanut butter, sugars, vanilla and egg until fluffy and light colour, about 2 minutes.

In another bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder. Using wooden spoon or spatula, fold into peanut butter mixture in several batches. Stir in chocolate chips.

Using a tablespoon, scoop dough onto ungreased baking sheet and place 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Press gently with fork. Sprinkle bacon over top of each cookie.

Bake in preheated 375F (190C) oven. Bake to desired doneness, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in pan. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month.

Makes about 30.

kitty @ Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:12 am

Dec 20th Hard Boiled Egg Cookies

1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
1-1/2 cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, hard-boiled and finely grated
1/4 tsp (1 mL) table salt
I large egg, white only, beaten for brushing
2 tbsp (30 mL) cinnamon sugar
1/2 cup (125 mL) pecans, chopped

In large bowl using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar.

In another bowl, combine flour, salt and boiled eggs. Beat into sugar mixture in several batches. Roll out on un-floured surface to 0.6 inch (1/2 cm) thickness. Using small glass or plastic cup, cut out cookies and place 2 inches (5 cm) apart on ungreased baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg white. Sprinkle overtop cinnamon sugar and pecans.

Bake in preheated 400F (200C) oven until edges brown slightly, about 8 to 10 minutes.

Cool 5 minutes on baking sheets. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month.

Makes about 45 cookies.

kitty @ Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:15 am

Dec 21st Hello Dollie Cookies

1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup (250 mL) each: graham cracker crumbs, unsweetened shredded coconut, walnuts, chopped, semi-sweet chocolate chips,
1 can (300 ml) sweetened condensed milk

In a greased, 8-inch (20 cm) square pan, mix melted butter and graham crackers and flatten on bottom.

Sprinkle a layer of each: coconut, chocolate chips, walnuts. Pour milk overtop and shake pan to distribute evenly.

Bake in preheated 350F (180C) oven until firm, 20 to 25 minutes.

Cool 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve. Store in airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month.

Makes about 16 squares.

Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  Next