Canada Kicks Ass
Do you salt your fresh fruit?

1  2  Next

ShepherdsDog @ Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:14 am

When I was young, I remember seeing some older relatives do this with apples and some watermelon. I thought that this was strange, yet here in Taiwan I see everyone doing it, and I've found that I really enjoy it on apples, water pears and watermelon. The locals also have a powdered dried plum and salt mix they use on almost all sliced fresh fruit. Just curious how many have tried using salt to enhance the sweetness and flavour of fruit. And by salting, I mean a light sprinkle, not enough for dessication. As an aside, I can't understand people who put sugar on grapefruit, especially the ruby red variety.

kenmore @ Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:24 am

I salt Granny Smith apples and some other apples. Takes the tartiness out and enhances the flavour. My mother used to salt watermelons and fresh peaches.

2Cdo @ Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:58 am

Remember doing it as a kid, but haven't done it in years.

QBC @ Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:45 am

Used to use salt on crab apples all the time, Granny Smiths too. I've never tried it on any other fruit, but I still do grab a nice fresh tomato and a salt shaker from time to time.

Guy_Fawkes @ Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:51 am

QBC QBC:
Used to use salt on crab apples all the time, Granny Smiths too. I've never tried it on any other fruit, but I still do grab a nice fresh tomato and a salt shaker from time to time.

Ack I forgot about tomatoes, aside from them I don't salt or sugar my fruit.

Regina @ Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:54 am

Tomatoes only for me.

Brenda @ Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:59 am

Salt AND pepper on tomatoes...

muskokagirl @ Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:47 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
When I was young, I remember seeing some older relatives do this with apples and some watermelon. I thought that this was strange, yet here in Taiwan I see everyone doing it, and I've found that I really enjoy it on apples, water pears and watermelon. The locals also have a powdered dried plum and salt mix they use on almost all sliced fresh fruit. Just curious how many have tried using salt to enhance the sweetness and flavour of fruit. And by salting, I mean a light sprinkle, not enough for dessication. As an aside, I can't understand people who put sugar on grapefruit, especially the ruby red variety.

Gosh no...they are already sweet and salty enough for me

bootlegga @ Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:52 am

Gods no!

The only fruit I've ever seen salted was grapefruit (by my grandfather). I've also been told that the Japanese rinse nashi (Asian pear) with salt water to prevent it from discolouring.

L1ch3ng @ Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:06 pm

there are some fruits that taste good with salt especially grapefruit i usually put/sprinkle some salt to it
aside from that i eat fresh fruit, like apple, as is..

Unsound @ Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:20 pm

Never tried it, and I won't cause my doctor already gives me shit about the amount of salt in my diet.
It's funny that this poll came up just now tho, just saw a co-worker salt her apple last week and that was the first time I'd ever even heard of someone doing that.

Yogi @ Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:46 pm

Salt on tomatoes not 'sweet' fruit!

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:44 am

Well, I've had to rebuff the odd gay advance but I've never salted them, no matter how fresh they got XD

sandorski @ Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:21 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:

Neither can I, what a waste of sugar. :P

PostFactum @ Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:40 am

No, that's strange and I can't remember anyone who is doing that :D With vegetables -yes, but not with fruits. Sugar is also putted when cooking "varennja". :wink:

1  2  Next