Canada Kicks Ass
Homemade Maple Syrup in your own back yard.

1  2  Next

Dontkillbill @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:01 pm

Maked some homemade Maple Syrup and sugar. Check it out.

Lemmy @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Easier to buy it from Mennonites. That way I don't have to watch your video. :D

raydan @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:30 pm

What is this??? Some weird sweet Spam??

Dontkillbill @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:32 pm

I like spam but bacon is more my thing.

herbie @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:46 pm

No maples here. Wanna try some home made Hemlock syrup?

Dontkillbill @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:51 pm

Aren't you sweet. You first [B-o]

Jonny_C @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:45 pm

Nice to make your own. I bet it tastes even better when you do that. I have a dozen large maples on my property but I've never tapped them.

Vamp018 @ Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:40 pm

I saw some Canadian Authentic Maple syrup here at the local store and it was about 25.00 USD for pint err. Dang good on my waffles in the morning and excellent shooter to go with my beer. Cant pronounce the small area in Quebec where it was made.

raydan @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:11 am

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
Nice to make your own. I bet it tastes even better when you do that. I have a dozen large maples on my property but I've never tapped them.

Shouldn't be all that different, really... but still fun to do.

Since it reduces by a factor of 40 (40 litres of sap for 1 litre of sirop) prepare to boil for a long time. The sap deteriorates pretty quick, so you have to start boiling the same day you collect.

If you're wondering what my qualifications are, I did a lot of financing when I worked in credit unions for small to large sugar maple installations. :D

BartSimpson @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:33 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Easier to buy it from Mennonites. That way I don't have to watch your video. :D

ROTFL

BartSimpson @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:35 am

Vamp018 Vamp018:
I saw some Canadian Authentic Maple syrup here at the local store and it was about 25.00 USD for pint err. Dang good on my waffles in the morning and excellent shooter to go with my beer. Cant pronounce the small area in Quebec where it was made.

Myself I refuse to pay more for maple syrup than for an equal quantity of Scotch.

Jonny_C @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:39 am

raydan raydan:
Jonny_C Jonny_C:

I didn't mean that it tastes different, just that there's always that psychological factor of having made/grown your own when it comes to food.

Of course if you boil your own sap down to "dark" instead of the "No. 1 medium" that is commonly retailed, you would get a taste with more "kick" to it.

Jonny_C @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:41 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Myself I refuse to pay more for maple syrup than for an equal quantity of Scotch.

What you want to try is "Sortilege" maple whisky. Now there's a tasty drink. :D

raydan @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:46 am

I always buy 1 gallon of the stuff, 8 separate containers, this time of year... I was able to get it for $40 but that's a good deal. I should be able to find some maple sugar popcorn soon but for the rest of the year, other sugar products are pretty easy to find around here.

raydan @ Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:52 am

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
raydan raydan:
Jonny_C Jonny_C:

I didn't mean that it tastes different, just that there's always that psychological factor of having made/grown your own when it comes to food.

Of course if you boil your own sap down to "dark" instead of the "No. 1 medium" that is commonly retailed, you would get a taste with more "kick" to it.

The colour is more a product of the quality of the sap than by the boiling time.

1  2  Next