Canada Kicks Ass
Pasta/Spaghetti Sauce?

1  2  Next

Coffee @ Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:32 am

Does anyone have a good homemade Pasta/Spaghetti Sauce recipe?

raydan @ Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:04 am

Everybody has a (or a few) good pasta sauce recipe.

What do you prefer: meat, seafood (white sauce), vegetarian, tomato based or other

I've got a meat recipe (ground horse), vegetarian long and short, carbonara, pesto, seafood and about 20 more

...gee, now I'm hungry, and still more than 2 hours until lunch. :(

coaster_dot @ Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:46 pm

I have never had the patience to make my own sauce. If I am making something I will just grab the jar. However, pizza sauce makes great sauce for almost anything :D

I think my mom has a good one that she usually uses, ill see if I can find it.

Coffee @ Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:00 am

Vegetarian, I use to love the jar stuff, but now I find it has a different taste. Before I use to try to make my own but it was so watery :lol:

raydan @ Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:31 am

Here's a pretty basic recipe. I like to change things up though. Sometimes I'll add carrots, zucchini, eggplant, a chili or jalapeno pepper and last time a daikon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daikon
Change the spices up. Experiment, you can't really get it wrong unless you go really wild. One last thing, cook at the lowest temperature you can (it will bubble very slowly) and stir often.

VEGETARIAN SPAGHETTI SAUCE

2 (16 oz.) cans tomatoes
1 (32 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (12 oz.) can tomato paste
1 tbsp. sugar
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 tsp. basil
2 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 shake chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced

Saute onion and green pepper in olive oil until onion is clear. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer 2 to 3 hours.

Alta_redneck @ Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:34 am

Coffee Coffee:
Before I use to try to make my own but it was so watery :lol:

Ever hear of the cooking term, reduce?

“ take lid off, cook at medium heat, stirring occasionally until sauce has reduced to desired consistency “

Or something like that. :lol:

SprCForr @ Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:35 am

Damn.

Now I'm hungry. Maybe Mrs SprCForr will be up for a menu change tonight.

[drool]

raydan @ Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:47 am

SprCForr SprCForr:
Damn.

Now I'm hungry. Maybe Mrs SprCForr will be up for a menu change tonight.

[drool]

I think Mrs SprCForr should have kept her maiden name. EDIT: :wink:

SprCForr @ Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:47 pm

Pm inbound.

ziggy @ Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:55 pm

I do the Ragu sauce myself but I do have a nice addition for a spag meal,my sisters famous cheese toast recipe that she used to serve in her award winning restarant.
She kept it secret for many years but lot's tried to pry the recipe out of her.

You put some Hellman's mayo in a bowl and mix in enough kraft parmesan to give it a slightly grainy texture,it has to be Hellmans,miracle whip wont cut it.

You then baste this mixture over thickly sliced french bread and broil untill the edges turn brown. [drool]

She allways served this at the "Inn on the border" and folks would come from all over just for the cheese toast.

sandorski @ Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:55 pm

1 lb(ish)ground beef
1 onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
1 carrot finely chopped
2-3 tbl spoons Italian seasoning
2-3 tbl spoons garlic powder or 2-3 cloves of garlic chopped
1 tea spoon celery seed
2 Bay leaves
2-3 tbl spoons Oregano
2-3 tbl spoon crushed red pepper(optional)
1 vegetable, Beef, or chicken boullion cube
1 796 ml can crushed tomatoes
1 tea spoon Worcestire sauce or Steak sauce
1 tbl spoon salt or to taste
1 teaspoon black pepper

In a couple tbl spoons of Oil, Fry onions until clearish, add meat and Red Pepper(if using it) until meat is lightly browned, Add BellPepper. 2-3 minutes later add the rest of the Seasonongs and the can of tomatoes. I usually fill the can halfway with water, swishing it to get the remaining tomato, then dumping that in as well. Add carrots and boullion. Cook 30-60 minutes.

I'm not sure of those measurements as I never measure. I just dump some in my hand, look at it, decide, and throw it in. I also throw in other things on occassion, like Rosemary, Parsely, Mint(don't use more than a tea spoon, just enough for a subtle change), or Basil. If you start adding all these extras though, cut down the amount somewhat as a lot of these extras are already part of Italian Seasoning.

2Cdo @ Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:11 pm

I just go to my mother-in-laws and have her give me 10-20 jars of real Italian pasta sauce. Made of of fresh tomatoes grown in her own garden plus some spices that she won't divulge!

herbie @ Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:37 pm

1 lb(ish)ground beef
1.5 lbs stewmeat
1 onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
2 red peppers
1 carrot finely chopped
yuekk!
2-3 tbl spoons Italian seasoning
2-3 tbl spoons garlic powder or 2-3 cloves of garlic chopped
1 tea spoon celery seed (optional)
2 Bay leaves
2-3 tbl spoons Oregano
2-3 tbl spoon crushed red pepper(optional) REQUIRED
1 vegetable, Beef, orchicken boullion cube
OR throw in last night's leftover chicken
2 796 ml can crushed tomatoes
2 cans Tomato Paste
1 tea spoon Worcestire sauce or Steak sauce
1 tbl spoon salt or to taste
1 teaspoon tablespon black pepper

REDUCE. Like cook on low all damned day and stir every time you walk thru the kitchen.
That'll get you started

commanderkai @ Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:25 pm

Not sure why you cut out the ground beef or the carrot, and somebody should add a tiny bit of hot sauce, it makes it a bit sweeter I find

Anyway, this is how I make my sauce, or...add to the canned sauces (a 19 year old doesn't have the fridge space, car, or money to get the ingredients for fresh sauces...my grandmother though...orgasmic sauce)

Anyway, two cans of Hunts tomato sauce, either mixing the different varieties (Original, Four Cheese, Garlic and Onion, or even Meat, and I bet there are others)

With that, you add a bit of hot sauce, maybe a teaspoon.
Toss in a crapload of chopped onion, fresh, or the dried stuff. (Yes, I don't exactly measure)
Depending on the type of sauce, add in about a pound of ground beef, chicken, turkey, or whatever else
Half a can of mushrooms
Half of a can of peas, strained
Teaspoon of black pepper, maybe more
About 1/4 of a pound, or half of a can of cooked potatoes, sliced, or whole
And the final touch...About a pound of mozzarella cheese, if not more...but after you mix the pasta

ziggy @ Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:48 pm

herbie herbie:
1 lb(ish)ground beef

REDUCE. Like cook on low all damned day and stir every time you walk thru the kitchen.
That'll get you started

Dont forget the taste tests you do everytime you walk by. :wink:

1  2  Next