Canada Kicks Ass
Sunday Dinner

Unsound @ Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:08 am

I have the time and the willingness to do a little extra work for dinner tonight, but I can't decide what to make... I know there are a few good cooks on here, any suggestions?

martin14 @ Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:14 am

needs what ingredients you have to play with......

and whats the weather outside ?

For example, we have a cold rainy windy day....................... chili :)

Brenda @ Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:42 am

Roast chicken with herbs and lemon with rice or crinkle fries and a Greek salad (cucumber, tomatoes, feta, olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and vinegar) is always good. Depends on your mood and on the weather tho! :D

raydan @ Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:59 am

Paella [drool]
Jambalaya [drool]
Anything on the BBQ [drool]

crystalsm @ Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:47 am

Brenda Brenda:
Roast chicken with herbs and lemon with rice or crinkle fries and a Greek salad (cucumber, tomatoes, feta, olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and vinegar) is always good. Depends on your mood and on the weather tho! :D

[drool] Just be prepared for my arrival for dinner at your house!

Brenda @ Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:48 am

Bring booze! LMAO!!

herbie @ Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:44 pm

I'd die for lamb chops and saganaki (fried cheese) but the only place that sells the chops and cheese I need is 160 km away.
Too lazy to make sushi, not nasty enough outside to make spaghetti with red clam sauce.... I'm LOST for ideas too.
Can't even cheat and take her out, there's nothing in town but BAD chinese.

Better get my shit together and at least vacuum she gets off work in a couple hours. Then run to the Overpricey and grasp for ideas.

Regina @ Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:07 pm

It's a bit late to start now but if have lots of time I do some baby back ribs. Usually starts the day before with a dry rub then cooked low and slow for 3 or more hours.
If I have a half day I'd do a spaghetti sauce that cooks all day on the stove. Makes the house smell great too. [drool]

Unsound @ Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:54 pm

Lot's of good ideas. I've decided to do pork souvlaki with rice pilaf on the side and grilled haloumi cheese with souvlaki sauce for an appetizer. It's not all that time consuming but it's turned out to be a beautiful day so standing by the bbq is very appealing.

Now I'm just trying to decide if I'm up to making anything for dessert. Apple pie sounds good, but the wife bought Thor(the movie) today so I'm a little torn...

herbie @ Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:09 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmmm......
[drool]

Regina @ Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:23 pm

Unsound Unsound:
Lot's of good ideas. I've decided to do pork souvlaki with rice pilaf on the side and grilled haloumi cheese with souvlaki sauce for an appetizer. It's not all that time consuming but it's turned out to be a beautiful day so standing by the bbq is very appealing.

Now I'm just trying to decide if I'm up to making anything for dessert. Apple pie sounds good, but the wife bought Thor(the movie) today so I'm a little torn...

So what time is dinner? I may have a wine that would go with that. [drool]

crystalsm @ Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:16 pm

Unsound Unsound:

I just pulled a crabapple rhubarb pie out of the oven. I'm more than willing to bring it over for dessert! [drool]

PublicAnimalNo9 @ Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:36 pm

Can't go wrong with homemade pizza. [drool]

herbie @ Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Had to pull prime rib steaks w chipotle, greek salad and baked taters out of my hat.

Unsound @ Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Sad to report, the souvlaki was a bit bland. The rice was fantastic and the haloumi was as deliciously squeeky as ever so dinner wasn't a bust. Think I may try marinading the pork overnight next time, and if that doesn't work look for a new recipe...

For parents of young children... rice pilaf is great for kids. Easy to eat. Easy to make. Fairly nutritious.