Canada Kicks Ass
Toxic fish from Great Lakes won't make best meal: report

Praxius @ Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:40 am

A new report warns Great Lakes anglers to take care when eating the fish they catch.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/ ... -fish.html

$1:
If the huge trout you caught from one of the Great Lakes ends up on your dinner table, you might be at risk from alarmingly high levels of toxins, says a new report from advocacy group Environmental Defence.

And at least four years of government data show the condition of the fish isn't improving, according to the report released Friday.

"It's something so subtle. You're not going to eat a piece of fish and suddenly get cancer," said Mike Layton, Environmental Defence program manager and one of the report's authors.

"Like the fish, it's going to accumulate in your own body."

The report, Up to the Gills, focuses on toxic chemicals in Great Lakes fish by examining advisories published by the Ontario Ministry of Environment for eight species of fish in 13 locations across the Great Lakes.

Many fish were found to be partly or completely unfit for human consumption, with bigger fish being the worst for a meal. The toxins in the fish included mercury from coal-fired power plants, dioxins from industrial processes and pesticides.

Some species of fish around the Toronto area need to be avoided entirely, the report found. These include lake trout and large carp. Even small fish with lower levels of contaminants should only be consumed in certain amounts, said Layton.......

Oh, that's just Naaasty.

Regina @ Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:23 am

I would never eat a big fat Lake Trout out of any of the Great Lakes. They are so well fed they are mostly fat and would probably start a fire in the oven.

......and who is this Mike Layton guy and the Environmental Defense program ?

Praxius @ Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:40 am

Regina Regina:
I would never eat a big fat Lake Trout out of any of the Great Lakes. They are so well fed they are mostly fat and would probably start a fire in the oven.

I heard fish fat was good for ya.

$1:
......and who is this Mike Layton guy and the Environmental Defense program ?

Haven't a Clue.... [huh]

Regina @ Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:36 am

Praxius Praxius:

I heard fish fat was good for ya.

They call them grease balls here and are usually tossed back in if possible. Pretty much only good if they are done in a smoker so the grease drips off.