Canada Kicks Ass
Présentation

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Dino @ Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:53 pm

That's because I and many others aren't fluent in french.<br /> When you speak french on this thread someone like Galois will speak to you back since he is fluent.If I could speak french fluently and you wrote to me in french I would write you back in french.<br /> <br /> Yes people in english Canada don't like having the threat of separation over our heads. Your right, you won't win but is this still an issue in Canada? Yes it is.The only way it will end is when quebec has a place in the constitution. <br /> <br /> Decades the separatists have been trying to win hasn't worked if Quebecers really wanted to separate it would have happened along time ago and with a huge majority not just winning by 50.1% of the vote.<br /> <br />

gaulois @ Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:34 am

[QUOTE BY= dino] That's because I and many others aren't fluent in french.<br /> When you speak french on this thread someone like Galois will speak to you back since he is fluent.If I could speak french fluently and you wrote to me in french I would write you back in french.<br /> <br /> Yes people in english Canada don't like having the threat of separation over our heads. Your right, you won't win but is this still an issue in Canada? Yes it is.The only way it will end is when quebec has a place in the constitution. <br /> <br /> Decades the separatists have been trying to win hasn't worked if Quebecers really wanted to separate it would have happened along time ago and with a huge majority not just winning by 50.1% of the vote.<br /> <br /> [/QUOTE]<br /> Dino: Canada has failed to renew itself so far. I will definitely not scapegoat Quebec on this. As far as I am concerned, they have done far more than their fair share toward the renewal of Canada. Read the Moutons Noirs article on this.<br /> <br /> I personally see nothing wrong with a massive decentralization of powers held in Ottawa into the provinces. All I can hear in response to this is the "provincial" premiers are in for the "power" grab. Well I do not care about the provincial premiers but do care about the citizens. The citizens should be the one running this show. The further away power is from you the more dysfunctional things get and some bastards will take full advantage of it as we can see. Just put this separatism thing on the side as you are saying to the Québécois yourself, and put your case forward for renewal of Canada. No Mr. Dithers either. And don't put the burden on Quebec, FHQs or First Nations. They have all done as much as they possibly could.

fleur-de-lys @ Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:34 pm

[QUOTE]That's because I and many others aren't fluent in french.<br /> When you speak french on this thread someone like Galois will speak to you back since he is fluent.If I could speak french fluently and you wrote to me in french I would write you back in french.[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> You don't have to speak in a perfect french ! "If I could speak french" You will never be able to speak french if you never practice it. <br /> <br /> As you can see my english is not very good, I got many jobs refused because of that. I'm better in spanish and portuguese. But, I'm learning by reading, by listening and by writing these languages.<br /> <br /> Just say the truth, you don't want to learn it ! Canada is the only bilingual country where one ethnic group ( the anglo saxons ) don't know, in general, the other official language. I can understand, the french speakers are, most of the time, far from you because Canada is a great country. I can understand, the french speakers are, most of the time, far from you because Canada is a great country. That's why Quebec separation can be good for you, you will not have to learn french for nothing. <br />

Dino @ Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:02 pm

[QUOTE BY= fleur-de-lys]<br /> You don't have to speak in a perfect french ! "If I could speak french" You will never be able to speak french if you never practice it. <br /> As you can see my english is not very good, I got many jobs refused because of that. I'm better in spanish and portuguese. But, I'm learning by reading, by listening and by writing these languages.[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Quebecer's have more of a reason to learn english since North America there is alot more english then french!!<br /> If the United States was a french speaking country and the second language mexico prefered to learn was french then you would see english Canada having more of a reason to learn french!!<br /> <br /> [QUOTE BY= fleur-de-lys]Just say the truth, you don't want to learn it ! Canada is the only bilingual country where one ethnic group ( the anglo saxons ) don't know, in general, the other official language.[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Actually main parents in Saskatoon chose to put there kids in french immersion even if they can't speak it. Canada isn't the only bilingual country in the world were one group speaks one language and can't speak the other. For example Belgium were 60% speak Dutch and 40% speak french. If you knew anything about Canada 28% of people are of English decent,25% are of french and the rest is people from around the world. I find it dumb when people from Quebec talk about English Canada like it's simply made up of people of english origin.<br /> <br /> [QUOTE BY= fleur-de-lys] I can understand, the french speakers are, most of the time, far from you because Canada is a great country. That's why Quebec separation can be good for you, you will not have to learn french for nothing. [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> I have never felt any pressure to learn french. I was in it since kindergarten through grade 9 so i am not fluent but I do watch Radio-Canada and I can understand it. There is no need to break apart a country because there are two languages! We are not the only country with two languages!!!

fleur-de-lys @ Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:11 pm

[QUOTE]Canada isn't the only bilingual country in the world were one group speaks one language and can't speak the other. For example Belgium were 60% speak Dutch and 40% speak french[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> It's good you talk about Belgium because I have many friends who are from there and it's a perfect bilingual country. They speak all fluently the other official language, the francophones don't only have to learn dutch, they have to speak the flemish dialect. They also learn how to speak english and german.

Dino @ Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:25 pm

Look at how big Belgium is compared to Canada!!!!! Do you really think people born and raised in Vancouver are going to learn french when it's way over in Quebec?!!!?!!<br /> <br /> Belgium is the size of Prince Edwards Island!!<br /> <br /> Imagine having 10,000,000 people on an island with two languages your going to learn them because you'd be so close to one another. <br /> <br /> Most countries in this world who have more then two languages don't even bother with official language status they just deal with it like argentina who have 4 different languages spoken. Canada has two official languages because there are two main languages and english and french should be on everything so that it's fair.

gaulois @ Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:42 am

[QUOTE BY= dino] Do you really think people born and raised in Vancouver are going to learn french when it's way over in Quebec?!!!?!!<br /> [/QUOTE]<br /> I live in Vancouver. My children did and so did many others. French is not only in Quebec with the right mindset. Radio-Canada should not only be for French speaking people.

Marcarc @ Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:46 am

As a direct democracy candidate I just had to respond to that 'referendums are not democratic', that's the most hilarious thing I've ever heard! Letting people decide things for themselves is un-democratic-Bush would be so proud! Up is down! Black is white! Democracy is federalism!<br /> <br /> Lord knows our current system is not 'prone to abuse', that's because it IS abuse. Canadians have NO democratic rights and apart from voting in a different person to make all their decisions for them vote on NOTHING! If you want to argue that dictatorship and oligarchy are better forms of government, that's one thing, but don't mix up the two!<br /> <br /> Keep in mind history, we are at a different colonial period, almost never has a referendum been held on 'joining a country', in Canada it only happened in Newfoundland and it is still such a contentious issue that you can't even talk about it to a Newfoundlander who was there. The 'constitution' of England was IMPOSED on its colonies and now we've seen that unravelling, violently in places like Ireland and India, more peacefully in Canada which although a country, has many of the marks of a colonial government. And of course we saw how well a constitution served Yugoslavia, Somalia, most African countries in fact. <br /> <br /> Even every monarchy had a constitution, the Czar and the King of France, that didn't help them. A piece of paper cannot hold a people together. But leaving that aside, it is not correct that the Charter holds Canada together, in fact by allowing Quebec to have a referendum they have created a precedence where it can legally be upheld that such referenda must be allowed by other provinces, because it isn't disallowed in the Charter. The Clarity Bill in fact sets out the conditions that must be met by provinces, so the feds might pull the strings but it is still allowed.<br /> <br /> Also a provincial or provisional government can apply under international law to void a constitution if it is 'imposed'. Nowadays, with referenda so popular all over the world it would be next to impossible to ratify a constitution without one. This is partly no doubt why NAFTA and international trade agreements were made, so that business can hold together what politics can't.<br /> <br />

Dino @ Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:18 pm

[QUOTE BY= gaulois]I live in Vancouver. My children did and so did many others. French is not only in Quebec with the right mindset. Radio-Canada should not only be for French speaking people. [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Galois that is because you are a french speaker!!<br /> <br /> There are no hospitals,major universities or anything in Vancouver that are french speaking! You can not seriously teach someone french from kindergarten till grade 12 and think that they speak it on a daily basis. how would they when everything around them is in english.<br /> <br /> In Quebec there are hospitals, restaurants and universities in French. You are not going to see things like that in other provinces.

gaulois @ Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:57 pm

[QUOTE BY= dino] [QUOTE BY= gaulois]I live in Vancouver. My children did and so did many others. French is not only in Quebec with the right mindset. Radio-Canada should not only be for French speaking people. [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Galois that is because you are a french speaker!!<br /> <br /> There are no hospitals,major universities or anything in Vancouver that are french speaking! You can not seriously teach someone french from kindergarten till grade 12 and think that they speak it on a daily basis. how would they when everything around them is in english.<br /> <br /> In Quebec there are hospitals, restaurants and universities in French. You are not going to see things like that in other provinces.[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> There are francophiles in Vancouver and many large centres in Canada that can send their kids from kindergarten to grade 12 in French immersion (which is what my kids did -vs- programme cadre). In fact the program is quite popular amongst anglophone parents so theirs kids don't get slowed down by kids (new Canadians) struggling with English or with slow learning disabilities. It has some elitist undertones but I can live with that as a gaulcon. What a very weird benefit of bilingualism in the ROC I must say... I am not sure if the whole thing is sustainable or the "flavor of the day" but it has given some badly needed hope (and financing) amongst FHQs. Not sure if sufficient either cause the francophile needs are quite different from ours.<br /> <br /> It is interesting tonote that in Quebec, Anglophones have hospitals, restaurants and universities in English and we certainly don't.

fleur-de-lys @ Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:58 pm

[QUOTE]Look at how big Belgium is compared to Canada!!!!! Do you really think people born and raised in Vancouver are going to learn french when it's way over in Quebec?!!!?!!<br /> [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> A lot of english speakers from the west island of Montreal don't speak french. In New-Brunswick the majority of english speakers don't speak french. I won't talk about Ontario because the french community is only 5% of the population there so I guess you don't think the english ontarians should have to learn french.<br /> <br /> <br /> [QUOTE]Most countries in this world who have more then two languages don't even bother with official language status they just deal with it like argentina who have 4 different languages spoken. Canada has two official languages because there are two main languages and english and french should be on everything so that it's fair.[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Try to find me a country where they have only one official language even if 25% ( remember that in Canada there is 26% of francophones ) of the population or more speak another language.<br /> <br /> Why do you talk about Argentina ? The only official language is spanish, which is spoken by around 90% of the population. Even though, the Argentinians learn how to speak portuguese and english. Do you blame them because they don't learn the indigenous languages or these languages are not official ? <br /> <br /> <br /> Thanks to the independentist movement of Quebec, because of them the federal gov didn't have the choice to include french as an official language, in 1969, it was time ! That's the problem with you guys, we always have to fight and threat you just to have few rights.<br /> <br /> When will you excuse yourself for the deportation of the acadians, the centuries of exploitations and attempts of assimilation of the French Canadians ? When will you admit the cultural genocide you did and you do to us ? Probably never !

Dino @ Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:34 pm

[QUOTE BY= fleur-de-lys]<br /> Thanks to the independentist movement of Quebec, because of them the federal gov didn't have the choice to include french as an official language, in 1969, it was time ! That's the problem with you guys, we always have to fight and threat you just to have few rights.[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Wasn't Louis St. Laurent the first francophone prime minister? Why didn't he bring in official bilingualism when he was prime minister since he was from Quebec and would know Quebecers best. Isn't he the one who destroyed french in english Canada?<br /> <br /> [QUOTE BY= fleur-de-lys]When will you excuse yourself for the deportation of the acadians, the centuries of exploitations and attempts of assimilation of the French Canadians ? When will you admit the cultural genocide you did and you do to us ? Probably never ![/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> First of all I am not english- candian so sorry but I won't be apologizing for anything. I find it odd how we live in north america were 28 million natives were killed and yet you don't hear natives using these numbers when wanting more from the federal government. There have been worse things in history that is why you don't find english Canadians feeling any sympathy for french Canadians because other cultures have moved on except french canadians. I remind you that the acadians received not an apology from queen elizabeth but "regret" about what happened to people in New Brusnwick and they're happy with that they've moved on. <br /> <br /> If Canada was the size of belgium alot more people whose first language is english would learn french because we would be so close to one another.

Dino @ Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:45 pm

[QUOTE BY= gaulois] There are francophiles in Vancouver and many large centres in Canada that can send their kids from kindergarten to grade 12 in French immersion (which is what my kids did -vs- programme cadre). In fact the program is quite popular amongst anglophone parents so theirs kids don't get slowed down by kids (new Canadians) struggling with English or with slow learning disabilities. It has some elitist undertones but I can live with that as a gaulcon. What a very weird benefit of bilingualism in the ROC I must say... I am not sure if the whole thing is sustainable or the "flavor of the day" but it has given some badly needed hope (and financing) amongst FHQs. Not sure if sufficient either cause the francophile needs are quite different from ours.<br /> <br /> It is interesting tonote that in Quebec, Anglophones have hospitals, restaurants and universities in English and we certainly don't. [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> I didn't say there weren't francophones in Vancouver. I was in french immersion from kindergarten to grade 9 and the only time we spoke french was in class. Why would we have hospitals,restaurants and universities in French when there isn't a significantly large number of french speakers like there is english speakers in Quebec.<br /> <br /> There are french universities in Ottawa and New Brusnwick because there is actually a big number of french speakers who want there degrees in french.

fleur-de-lys @ Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:44 pm

[QUOTE]Wasn't Louis St. Laurent the first francophone prime minister? Why didn't he bring in official bilingualism when he was prime minister since he was from Quebec and would know Quebecers best. Isn't he the one who destroyed french in english Canada?[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> No, it was Wilfrid Laurier. Why didn't he bring in official bilingualism ? Simply because he was just a puppet. The liberal party always do that, they elect a french canadian who thinks like an english canadian, just to hide the fact that the "french canadians" are a conquered nation.<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> [QUOTE]First of all I am not english- candian so sorry but I won't be apologizing for anything. I find it odd how we live in north america were 28 million natives were killed and yet you don't hear natives using these numbers when wanting more from the federal government. There have been worse things in history that is why you don't find english Canadians feeling any sympathy for french Canadians because other cultures have moved on except french canadians. I remind you that the acadians received not an apology from queen elizabeth but "regret" about what happened to people in New Brusnwick and they're happy with that they've moved on.First of all I am not english- candian so sorry but I won't be apologizing for anything. I find it odd how we live in north america were 28 million natives were killed and yet you don't hear natives using these numbers when wanting more from the federal government. There have been worse things in history that is why you don't find english Canadians feeling any sympathy for french Canadians because other cultures have moved on except french canadians. I remind you that the acadians received not an apology from queen elizabeth but "regret" about what happened to people in New Brusnwick and they're happy with that they've moved on.<br /> [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> You are not english canadian ? Who are you, an amerindian ?<br /> <br /> I know about the genocide USA and Canada ( or the british colonies if you prefer ) did to the amerindians but I don't think you should use it as an argument to convince me to stay in Canada. I will tell you a story to show your logic.<br /> <br /> <br /> A sadist kidnaps two innocent men. He cuts the hand of the first man, the victim does nothing but groan. The sadist approaches the second man and he cut his finger. The second man scream and cry, he also try to escape from that place. The sadist don't understand the second man, he only lost a finger after all.<br /> <br /> According to you, which character is the most judicious ?<br />

Dino @ Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:07 pm

[QUOTE BY= fleur-de-lys] No, it was Wilfrid Laurier. Why didn't he bring in official bilingualism ? Simply because he was just a puppet. The liberal party always do that, they elect a french canadian who thinks like an english canadian, just to hide the fact that the "french canadians" are a conquered nation.[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> I think that I mean to say Wilfrid Laurier. My point to mentioning the first french Canadian Prime minister was that he became Canada's leader in 1896 to 1911 so why not change things for Quebec he was an outspoken person of confederation he could of done things for Quebec but he didn't.<br /> <br /> [QUOTE BY= fleur-de-lys] You are not english canadian ? Who are you, an amerindian ?[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Nope I was born and raised in Saskatoon,Saskatchewan I'm of Zimbabwean decent I'm not of english origin!<br />

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next