Canada Kicks Ass
Canadian Values Test

Rural @ Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:25 am

I just watched a rerun of a “town hall” debate from TVO Studio 2 on this very subject, one guest proposed a more specific oath of allegiance for those becoming a new citizen. Even this modest suggestion was greeted with almost fanatical opposition by guests from “visible minorities” one going so far as to say that different rules for those not born in Canada was “apartite”. As an immigrant myself some 35 years ago I remember that even with a “trade” I had to be sponsored by a relative in order to get enough “points” to immigrate, I see no problem in part of the entry process being a willingness to adopt Canadian values (trying to define those may be a problem) and to abide by Canadian law. If convicted of certain crimes (Hate? Treason? Child molestation?) there should be the OPTION (within a certain time period of entry?) to send me back from whence I came rather than the Canadian public paying for my incarceration. First generation immigrants should view their remaining in this country as a privilege not a right. I very much favor integration rather than multiculturalism (hate that term, it is so misleading), one can retain and pass along your language, customs and history and still become truly Canadian, one does not have to isolate oneself from other cultures in order to “preserve” your heritage. In researching my ancestors I find that my children have Pennsylvania Dutch, Mennonite, German, English, Welsh, Scots, and a variety of other ancestral roots as I believe do most of us if we go back far enough. None of these roots detract from the point that I am now CANADIAN as are my offspring.<br /> <br />

Marcarc @ Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:09 pm

I see that racism bugaboo raising its head again. Of course its not ALL immigrants that are the problem, just some of them! But there's no point bandying about the issue, as good luck trying to get the Department of Immigration to listen to anything-and good luck defining those Canadian 'ideals'. Ask a farmer, environmentalist, native, homeless person, handicapped person, maritimer, northerner, etc., what they think of those 'canadian ideals'. Yes, perhaps some canadians should try some of those canadian values.