Canada Kicks Ass
Capture and Storage of C02

FootPrints @ Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:31 pm

<i>(I know there isn't much interest in the above post, but I found this artcle. Some of the comments posted below it are good. I could be wrong but I don't see it as a good thing.)</i><br /> <br /> <b>To curb greenhouse gases, put them underground</b><br /> By Michael Kanellos <br /> <br /> DOHA, Qatar--Tony Espie, storage technology manager for BP Exploration, believes one of the primary tools for solving global warming lies beneath our feet. <br /> <br /> Storing carbon dioxide in underground caves that once held oil and gas is shaping up to be one of the more promising techniques for reducing the amount of greenhouse gases that get pumped into the atmosphere, he said during a presentation at the International Technology Petroleum Conference taking place here this week. <br /> <br /> "Gas fields have the attraction of natural seals. They have held gasses for millions of years," Espie said. "Storage in geological formations is one of the cheapest options." <br /> <br /> Trials for the concept are already under way in Algeria and Canada. Commercial development could begin within the next five years. Ideally, storage facilities would keep carbon dioxide underground for at least 1,000 years and hopefully 10,000 or more. <br /> <a href="http://news.com.com/To+curb+greenhouse+gases,+put+them+underground/2100-11395_3-5965126.html?part=rss&tag=5965126&subj=news">continued</a><br /> <br /> One of the reader comments about this article:<br /> Quip-"Anyone recall the lake in Africa that "inverted" and released a huge amount of carbon dioxide a few years ago? Hundreds of people died and thousands of animals. I saw recently that lake is at risk of doing it again and how plans were being made to release the carbon dioxide from that lake in a controlled fashion to prevent another catastrophe."<br /> <br /> Here is a link about the lakes he is referring to<br /> <a href="http://smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian/issues03/sep03/killer_lakes.html">Defusing Africa's Killer Lakes</a> <br /> <br /> <i>(I don't have the answers and I know that something should be done about the damage we are doing to our environment.<br /> <br /> Another interesting thing I have read at another site is that what is happening is natural. We are coming out of an ice age, so it is only natural that the earth continues to warm. We aren't helping matters by contributing to this, but that eventually it would happen anyway, we are only speeding it up.) </i>

Brother Jonathan @ Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:41 pm

Sorry, I meant to reply to this earlier this week. I don’t know enough about this to have an informed opinion. My gut feeling is that there would be a piper to be paid someday for CO2 sequestration today, but that’s not based on anything demonstrable.<br /> <br /> My understanding of the lakes in (I think?) Cameroon was that their “killer” status was due to their proximity to the equator — that is, the relatively low amount of seasonal temperature change is what allowed the huge buildup of CO2 to take place, which made the release so deadly. Were those lakes in a temperate climate, the seasonal temperature changes would cause regular CO2 releases of a much smaller scale, small enough to avoid kill-offs.<br /> <br /> The recent news on <a href="http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=aChhqgSvnzJU&refer=top_world_news">the historic CO2 record from the 3.2 km-deep ice core from Antarctica</a> certainly gives one pause.

FootPrints @ Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:47 pm

Thanks for the reply and link. Your input is always informative and to the point. I think about a million things a day (information over-load), it's nice to have answers I can understand. I can push one more thing out and go on to the next...lol

FootPrints @ Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:43 pm

(I should have known it had more to do with oil than the environment. It's just a prop package for us sheeple)<br /> <br /> <a href="http://www.rigzone.com/news/article.asp?a_id=26966">Successful Sequestration Project Could Mean More Oil & Less Carbon Dioxide</a>

Dr Caleb @ Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:53 am

Yup, treat the symptom rather than the disease.