Canada Kicks Ass
Charging Harper with war crimes

Dr Caleb @ Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:22 pm

Doubtful.<br /> <br /> I suppose you could, as an individual, seek out advice from the UN Human Rights Commission. I think it's countries, or UNHRC that has to bring matters before the ICC.

Reverend Blair @ Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:59 pm

A professor from Ottawa (yeah, I could look it up, but you have Google too) is already talking to the Hague about this. I think that's going to concentrate on senior military personnel though (read General Hillier).<br /> <br /> I would like to see Harper and his staff brought up on charges, as well as Chretien, Martin and their minions. I would prefer that it happen here though. We have all the legislation we need to do so, and it would send a message to the world that we're sorry we let these miscreants grab power.<br /> <br />

whelan costen @ Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:57 pm

Rev Blair, what do you mean we have all the legislation we need to do so? It would seem that we should explore this avenue, as that would indicate all we need is the lawyers with conscience to do it. Would I be correct? Can you point me in the general direction of what you mean?

Reverend Blair @ Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:16 am

We have legislation in Canada that allows us to charge anybody on Canadian soil with war crimes and crimes against humanity. We've already charged a man who was involved in the Rwandan genocide...his trial was delayed because he was badly beaten in custody.<br /> <br /> There was also an attempt to charge George Bush when Martin was PM. The crown (either federal or BC, I can't remember) refused to press charges, but most indications were that was due to political expediency, not because of a lack of legislation...at least as near as I could tell.<br /> <br /> That political expediency thing is the major hurdle. With both major parties neck deep in this, it will be extremely difficult to find a crown prosecutor willing to press charges, or to get the RCMP or CSIS to launch any sort of serious investigation.<br /> <br />

Brent Swain @ Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:52 pm

It may also be in response to threats made to the prosecutor , or members of his family. It's what yanks call "The American Way"<br /> Brent