Canada Kicks Ass
Toronto Garbage

fleur-de-lys @ Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:14 pm

I will be sarcastic too.<br /> <br /> Just do like the industries around Chicago, Detroit and Toronto are doing. Just throw your wastes in the Great Lakes, the current will carry your garbage in the ocean by the St. Lawrence river (Fleuve Saint-Laurent). Who cares about the Fleuve anyway ? St. Lawrence's beluga whales are going to disappear, so what ?

KevinGagnon @ Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:42 pm

I'm happy as long as they don't send it up Norther here in the mine hole, which was their first plan. We defeated that plan.<br /> <br /> Kevin

Marcarc @ Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:39 pm

Under NAFTA they CAN"T close the border to waste. They can try to get municipalities to not take it, but a place can be found somewhere. Canada imports lots of american hazardous waste as well, we can't simply 'close the border'. No doubt a concern was raised before by John Kerry's statements during the election which was strictly for votes, he knew as well as everybody but the public that you can't just stop trade. <br /> <br /> As an aside though I should mention here at the Waterloo landfill there is a private public partnership where the methane is collected and added to the power grid and NOT into the air. The fault of this really is with the federal government, who seem to be the only one with any cash. A lot could be accomplished just with a more expanded recycling initiative (separating foodstuffs from others, etc)

Rural @ Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:58 pm

"Under NAFTA they CAN"T close the border to waste." <br /> <br /> Dont know about that, didnt stop them with softwood and cattle!<br /> <br /> "As an aside though I should mention here at the Waterloo landfill there is a private public partnership where the methane is collected and added to the power grid and NOT into the air."<br /> <br /> Yes, indeed Waterloo is one of the more progressive communities with regard to the envioment, having been one of the first to all but eliminate pesticides used by city works. You may rember however the abandonment of a nearby subdivision due to gasses coming from a long forgotten waste burial site. So I repeat why is it that more efficent, modern methods of turning our garbage into power, such as EFW plants, are not being encouraged by our upper levels of govenment, but burial (does not much matter where) still touted as the prefered disposal method.

Marcarc @ Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:19 pm

Softwood was challenged under NAFTA, that's why it's been dragging out for years, while beef was a health issue, which is not covered by NAFTA. However, I will agree that when you're the most powerful country in the world you can pick and choose where you like.<br /> <br /> That was in Kitchener the waste site you refer to, Waterloo is far from the beacon of environment that it touts, I could go into detail but that would take up too much time and space. Again, I have a feeling that if people were actually taking part in these processes the result would be different, take a look at New Bedford in Nova Scotia.