Canada Kicks Ass
A few facts about prescription drug..

1  2  3  4  Next

GunRunner @ Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:49 pm

that you should know, but no one likes to talk about...

Did you know that "all" drugs have side effects, all drugs are poisonous, and "all" drugs "can" kill you....

I can just hear tha cat calls now.... but think about it, why would you take something that is not good for you when you're well, but they say it will help you get better, when your sick????

And by the way, the drugs companies so far, in all their history, have not yet found one cure for any disease......

xerxes @ Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:52 pm

Of course they don't cure diseases. The money is in the comback.

That being said, diseases can be defeated. Legionaire's disease, polio, smallpox, and others can be defeated. They only make comebacks because people forgot what causes them in the first place.

GunRunner @ Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:55 pm

xerxes xerxes:
Of course they don't cure diseases. The money is in the comback.

That being said, diseases can be defeated. Legionaire's disease, polio, smallpox, and others can be defeated. They only make comebacks because people forgot what causes them in the first place.

Well, believe it or not, all those disease, can be cured by your own bodies immune system, "if" it's in a healthy state, and that only comes from proper nutrition.....

GunRunner @ Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:56 pm

Does anyone else here know what the LD50 test is??? (he asked knowingly)

Thematic-Device @ Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:57 pm

GunRunner GunRunner:
all drugs are poisonous

all anything can be poisonous its a mere matter of dosage.

GunRunner GunRunner:
And by the way, the drugs companies so far, in all their history, have not yet found one cure for any disease......

Antibiotics - cures many illnesses caused by bacteria
Anti-Viral Medication - Cure some illnesses caused by viruses

DerbyX @ Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:00 pm

GunRunner GunRunner:
Does anyone else here know what the LD50 test is??? (he asked knowingly)

Lethal Dose 50. The dosage at which 50% of the test subjects are killed. Similiar to the LC50.

canucker @ Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:04 pm

If your immune system can beat an illness, then by all means let it. But if your immune system needs some assistance, then why not give it to it?

DerbyX @ Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:07 pm

The problem with helping the immune system with antibiotics is that people fail to use them properly and thereby contribute to the rise of antibiotic resistance in microorganisms.

canucker @ Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:09 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
The problem with helping the immune system with antibiotics is that people fail to use them properly and thereby contribute to the rise of antibiotic resistance in microorganisms.

I agree with you, but I wasn't necessarily speaking about antibiotics or basic cold "remedies".

xerxes @ Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:10 pm

Viruses are the same way though. They can change in response to new treatments as well. Just on a slower scale.

cdncutie @ Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:11 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:

I agree completely. It is part of my issue with the flu shot as well. Contributes to resistant strains.

canucker @ Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:14 pm

I disagree. The flu shot does not contribute to resistant strains, flu strains are constantly mutating on their own, all the time, no matter what us humans do.

ShepherdsDog @ Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:14 pm

It has been the abuse, mis use and over use of anti bacterial cleansers and antibiotic medications that have given rise to the superbugs. We are now seeing the resurgence of other dideases thought to have been made a thing of the past, like TB.

On an interesting but related aside, over here you can't get codeine from a doctor, not even Atasol 8, however you can walk into any pharmacy and get Xanax, Naproxen or Ativan without a prescription. Birth control medication is also over the counter here too. For pain medication in the hospital you have two choices here, tylenol(locally called panadol) or a shot of morphine.

DerbyX @ Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:18 pm

xerxes xerxes:
Viruses are the same way though. They can change in response to new treatments as well. Just on a slower scale.

Viruses are just DNA/RNA strands surrounded by protein coats. They use our own cells against us and have no ability to pick up resistence genes through plasmid transfers like bacteria can. There ability to develop resistences are through little understood mechanisms that have more to do with increased populations of viruses able to attack slightly different sites on susceptible cells. They are far slower and less drastic when developing resistences then microorganisms. Of course viruses are also much harder to defeat (generally speaking) then bacteria.

Thematic-Device @ Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:20 pm

cdncutie cdncutie:
DerbyX DerbyX:

I agree completely. It is part of my issue with the flu shot as well. Contributes to resistant strains.

These are two completely different stories...

Getting a flu shot does not create a "Resistant strain" as the flu shot was only effective against the strain you vaccinated yourself against. Anti-Viral medication can knock out all the none resistant varieties of the virus, thus greatly assisting your body if you have a severe illness, but theres the risk that if your body can't take out the rest of them, that the resistant strain will propagate.

Antibiotics only have the problem if people use them incorrectly, where a few cells can pick up a partial resistance, and then be able to make all the bacteria resistant (lil' bastards). If you take the correct amount of antibiotics you can knock out those blighters too and not risk it.

1  2  3  4  Next