Canada Kicks Ass
Fewer nurses in Canadian hospitals?

ShepherdsDog @ Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:57 am

http://www.cheknews.ca/?bckey=AQ~~%2CAA ... 8196994001

is this a trend that`s going to spread?

Regina @ Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:32 am

Unfortunately it's the union making the claims. Quite a militant group who feel they are the only ones good enough to perform any task related to healthcare. Relieving them from menial tasks and moving it to other healthcare professionals who make less makes sense. It's like having a mechanic washing cars. A more accurate headline should read: Less Registered Nurses working in hospitals.

ShepherdsDog @ Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:58 am

when my grandmother went through nursing school(then a three year program), it was the student nurses and LPNs that did all the grunt work on the wards, as it was all considered part of their training. She ended up as chief surgical nurse, but I`m pretty sure she did jobs in the OR and on her ward that nurses don`t do today

Regina @ Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:34 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
when my grandmother went through nursing school(then a three year program), it was the student nurses and LPNs that did all the grunt work on the wards, as it was all considered part of their training. She ended up as chief surgical nurse, but I`m pretty sure she did jobs in the OR and on her ward that nurses don`t do today

Exactly! My mom went through nursing school at St. Boniface in Winnipeg which was 4 years back then. First year you did all the shit jobs and by the 4th year they would be running the floors. Now it's 4 years of talking about nursing and very little hands on, except for their placements. Then they all want to work straight days weekends off.

ShepherdsDog @ Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:41 pm

My mum went the Psych nurse route at Portage la Prairie. At the time you only needed Grade 11 to enter the program. They only had male orderlies for security...they scrubbed the shit, blood and other bodily fluids up as students, they also wrestled the less dangerous mentally handicapped