Canada Kicks Ass
officials concerned over spread of resistance antibiotics

ShepherdsDog @ Sun May 29, 2016 10:20 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/antibioti ... -1.3603708

$1:
The nightmare scenario of untreatable infections isn't a reality, yet, but it is an evolving situation of concern to doctors and public health officials worldwide.

On Friday, British Prime Minister David Cameron urged G7 leaders meeting in Japan to do more to fight superbugs. His comments followed the first U.S. report of a patient infected with bacteria resistant to a last-resort antibiotic called colistin.

The 49-year-old woman's urinary tract infection was successfully treated with other antibiotics, and she recovered.

"In too many cases antibiotics have stopped working," Cameron said, calling on countries to stem resistance by reducing the use of antibiotics and rewarding drug companies for developing new medicines.

fifeboy @ Sun May 29, 2016 12:17 pm

Indeed this is a major problem, but best of luck in getting BIG Pharma and Ag. to go along.

BeaverFever @ Sun May 29, 2016 12:56 pm

Big Ag is the culprit. 80% of antibiotics are consumed by factory farming. Not to just to treat sick animals, but to speed growth. The bacteria in the animals and their waste that manages to survive is antibiotic resistant and eventually finds its way to humans.

Yet another reason to support organic farming.

DrCaleb @ Mon May 30, 2016 6:17 am

No, this isn’t the start of the antibiotic apocalypse, just bad reporting

fifeboy @ Mon May 30, 2016 8:21 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
No, this isn’t the start of the antibiotic apocalypse, just bad reporting

In her article she seems to spend most of her time telling us to not get too upset about this. I would disagree. No use running down the street like a chicken with its head cut off, but we have a serious problem arising. Doctors have gotten the idea that antibiotics should be used wisely, but Industrial farming has not. It's time everyone began looking at the provenance of their meat and seafood.

andyt @ Mon May 30, 2016 8:25 am

looks like we're making progress there in Canada, going from 1600 tonnes of antibiotics a year to only using them when medically necessary. Should reach that goal by next year. 1600 tonnes.

DrCaleb @ Mon May 30, 2016 8:36 am

fifeboy fifeboy:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

In her article she seems to spend most of her time telling us to not get too upset about this. I would disagree. No use running down the street like a chicken with its head cut off, but we have a serious problem arising. Doctors have gotten the idea that antibiotics should be used wisely, but Industrial farming has not. It's time everyone began looking at the provenance of their meat and seafood.

I think we are starting to see the public actually caring about where their food comes from with that Earls Restaurants 'ethical beef' fiasco. The best way to make changes in business is still with your wallet.

If people stop buying the crap and demand better quality produce, then the market will oblige.

But yea, antibiotic resistance is a big problem. Just not the earth shattering problem that bad reporting makes it out to be.

ShepherdsDog @ Mon May 30, 2016 8:40 am

Part of the problem is that there hasn't been too much invested in finding newer antibiotics.

fifeboy @ Mon May 30, 2016 10:25 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Part of the problem is that there hasn't been too much invested in finding newer antibiotics.

Which I believe has been brought on, at least in part, with the shift in research funding from Government (University) funding to Big Business for Profit funding.

BeaverFever @ Mon May 30, 2016 2:05 pm

fifeboy fifeboy:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

The articles main points are:

1) "Relax, this isn't the first time it's happened it's happened a few times before. ".

Gee...thanks. BTW, that brutal home-invasion robbery next door that you thought was an isolated incident? Don't worry, it's happened on your street before. Feel better?

2). "Relax, we actually don't know how this dangerous bacteria developed or spread, if we'll ever see it again, where it comes from!" We don't know much about it at all

Again, thanks. Nobody knows who those violent home invasion robbers are or if/when they'll strike next either. Still feel better?

Sunnyways @ Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:50 pm

Bacteria have been dealing with antibiotic-like substances for billions of years. We shouldn't get too cocky about keeping up with them for a few decades.

I think a new economic model for antibiotic development is needed that does not depend on volume sold, one that actually encourages stockpiling of effective drugs. We will be needing them soon. Otherwise, the good old days of gangrene, amputation and mass death may be making a comeback.

herbie @ Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:55 pm

$1:
I think we are starting to see the public actually caring about where their food comes from with that Earls Restaurants 'ethical beef' fiasco. The best way to make changes in business is still with your wallet.

If people stop buying the crap and demand better quality produce, then the market will oblige.

Don't expect business to ever 'get it' though.
Went to A&Rubberchew for my no hormone or steroid Teen burger and they gave me my Root Beer in a disposable paper cup instead of the mug.
My sarcastic comment to the server drew a complete blank stare. Even some 20 year olds will never 'get it'.

rickc @ Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:22 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
fifeboy fifeboy:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

The articles main points are:

1) "Relax, this isn't the first time it's happened it's happened a few times before. ".

Gee...thanks. BTW, that brutal home-invasion robbery next door that you thought was an isolated incident? Don't worry, it's happened on your street before. Feel better?

2). "Relax, we actually don't know how this dangerous bacteria developed or spread, if we'll ever see it again, where it comes from!" We don't know much about it at all

Again, thanks. Nobody knows who those violent home invasion robbers are or if/when they'll strike next either. Still feel better?

I know its a necro, but I missed it the first time around. I agree with your sentiment. The best time to deal with any situation is at the earliest time possible. If you drop a lit cigarette butt on a carpet, put it out now. Don't wait until the whole house has gone up in flames to take action. Like the Zika virus. Stomp on it now, don't wait until we have millions of deformed babies to take action. Lets declare war on the mosquito. End the useless war on drugs (that mainly affects people who are willing participants) and use the money to attack a virus that has the potential to tragically affect millions of lives of people who are not gambleing with their health by sticking needles in their arms. Heroin overdose is tragic, but its a personal choice. A choice they are free to make. Babies being born deformed because their parent was bitten by a mosquito is not a personal choice. Stop wasting money locking people up because they like to stick some powder up their nose and spend the money fighting real threats like this drug resistant bacteria, Zika, etc.

PluggyRug @ Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:07 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:

The article below surmises a possible solution.....

http://www.antimicrobialcopper.org/us/how-it-works

Delwin @ Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:39 pm

Using anti-biotics to fight simple infections deprives your immune system of creating the proper antibodies on its own in case you ever encounter a similar infection.

This in turn creates an overall weak immune system and a further dependence on big pharma the next time you encounter an infection.

This is good from the perspective of the pharmaceutical industry. If it were up to them, we would be stripped of our ability to heal ourselves at all.

I know when it comes to infection the worry is obviously that it will spread and so it is prudent to fight it early and be safe.

Call me crazy but I personally role the dice with simple infections, skin, throat, ear, etc.

If my fever raises above 102, I know I will probably need help with it . It hasn't happened in 25 years though and that was the last time I was at a doctor. My wisdom tooth was impacted and chipped away.

I'm not saying this is the best approach for children, but pumping people full of antibiotics is just not for me.