Canada Kicks Ass
Omnibus COVID-19 virus discussion thread

Previous  1 ... 81  82  83  84  85  86  87 ... 533  Next

N_Fiddledog @ Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:48 am

$1:
As the coronavirus rages across Europe, a growing number of countries are reporting that millions of pieces of medical equipment donated by, or purchased from, China to defeat the pandemic are defective and unusable.

The revelations are fueling distrust of a public relations effort by Chinese President Xi Jinping and his Communist Party to portray China as the world's new humanitarian superpower.

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/1584 ... -equipment

stratos @ Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:50 am

Thanos Thanos:
Yup. Simultaneously the saddest yet proudest moment of his career. That's what a real leader looks like, the kind who cares less about his own future than for the lives and safety of those he commands.

What's sad is the guy who bitched about him breaking the chain of command will get a promotion or medal for what he did. :(

Robair @ Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:53 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
3M faces pressure from Trump order to stop exporting N95 masks to Canada

When the shit hits the fan, you find out who your friends are.

bootlegga @ Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:03 am

Thanos Thanos:
Yup. Simultaneously the saddest yet proudest moment of his career. That's what a real leader looks like, the kind who cares less about his own future than for the lives and safety of those he commands.

Yep.

Sunnyways @ Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:10 am

Good news for Detroit but I’d say they’ll need more than 5,000 kits:

$1:
Detroit on Thursday began testing its first responders, bus drivers and health care workers for coronavirus using new rapid testing kits that produce results in about 15 minutes or less.

Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan said Wednesday the city is the first in the country to begin using the kits from Abbott, a global health care company based in Lake County, Illinois.

"It's being set up right now and it's becoming clear that Detroit will be the first city in the country to use the 15-minute testing to test our police officers, fire fighters, EMTs and our bus drivers so that we know right away the results," Duggan said at his daily press briefing.

Abbott has said the tests can produce positive results in as little as five minutes and negative results in as little as 13 minutes. The company hopes to ramp up production to the point where it can deliver 50,000 kits per day, per a release.

The city spent $377,049 on Abbott testing kits, instruments, control swabs and bar code readers, according to the city's purchase order dated March 29. The purchase order did not specify quantities for the equipment, but a spokesman for Mayor Duggan said the city bought 5,000 kits.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 114588002/

The US response has been chaotic. They need a clearer national strategy on equipment and distancing. 10 states are still without a stay-at-home order.

N_Fiddledog @ Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:13 am

San Francisco bans reusable bags in coronavirus fight

$1:
San Francisco is banning reusable shopping bags to prevent outside germs from entering grocery stores as the coronavirus pandemic affects cities around the country,

The new ordinance from the San Francisco Department of Public Health aims to reinforce existing social distancing protocols by restricting customers from bringing their own bags, mugs, or other reusable items to essential stores, according to a statement.

San Francisco was one of the first cities in the U.S. to ban the use of plastic shopping bags in 2007 to reduce the environmental impact caused by plastic waste, according to SFGate.com.

BartSimpson @ Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:25 am

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
The US response has been chaotic. They need a clearer national strategy on equipment and distancing. 10 states are still without a stay-at-home order.

It's the decision of the states to do this kind of thing or not. The Feds do not have that power.

Also, why should Wyoming have a social distancing order when everyone who lives in Wyoming does so because of the social distancing that takes place naturally.

BartSimpson @ Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:27 am

Robair Robair:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

And Canada was never a friend to Trump so this is one of the ramifications of your government being constantly hostile to the man. On the other side of the coin we shipped supplies to Italy and to the UK.

Thanos @ Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:30 am

stratos stratos:
Thanos Thanos:

What's sad is the guy who bitched about him breaking the chain of command will get a promotion or medal for what he did. :(

The current secretaries of the military branches are all Trump appointees now. And as has been typical of all his other appointees are there only because of ass-kissing, having done favours for the Great Man previously, recommended by the other catamites in Trump's orbit, or for reasons unknown (e.g. "appointing this guy will really piss off the libtards"). None of this comes from the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who are all military men who know the real deal. It's just coming from the hacks in the civilian side of the Department of Defense that owe their miserable existences and future opportunities at profit & grandeur to the POSPOTUS.

See why I keep saying the best thing to happen to the US would be if the military staged a massive coup and put the entire country under a ten or twenty year rule? It's the only thing that could save American because the civilian side of doing things has fallen into total disrepute and can't be saved from their own greed and malice.

BartSimpson @ Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:32 am

Earlier this morning I got to see a coyote taking a stroll down the street. In daylight. On the sidewalk.

Also, I can hear military jets flying overhead at around 30k feet which you would never hear on a normal day.

BartSimpson @ Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:35 am

Thanos Thanos:
See why I keep saying the best thing to happen to the US would be if the military staged a massive coup and put the entire country under a ten or twenty year rule? It's the only thing that could save American because the civilian side of doing things has fallen into total disrepute and can't be saved from their own greed and malice.

Any military coup down here would quickly involve an invasion of Canada to secure the border and the northern frontier. That's been wargamed so many times that anyone who actually runs a coup will invade Canada reflexively.

In short, it's something to be avoided unless you want US military rule in Canada, too.

bootlegga @ Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:41 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Thanos Thanos:

Any military coup down here would quickly involve an invasion of Canada to secure the border and the northern frontier. That's been wargamed so many times that anyone who actually runs a coup will invade Canada reflexively.

In short, it's something to be avoided unless you want US military rule in Canada, too.

Perhaps, but at the same time, you'd be biting off way more than you could chew.

Heck, you barely contained an insurgency in Iraq, which has fewer people and is a much smaller country than Canada. What's worse, your occupying troops couldn't use religion, skin colour or language to figure out which ones of us are insurgents and which ones aren't. And with the dismantling of the long gun registry, you wouldn't know which ones are armed either.

I don't doubt the US military could squash ours like a grape, but I think the occupation would be a lot tougher and drawn out than you and US planners think.

Oh well, at least I could finally get Cherry coke Zero here! :lol:

raydan @ Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:43 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
And Canada was never a friend to Trump so this is one of the ramifications of your government being constantly hostile to the man. On the other side of the coin we shipped supplies to Italy and to the UK.

Trump has no friends, only business associates.

Freakinoldguy @ Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:45 am

$1:
xerxes xerxes:
Navy relieves captain who raised alarm about coronavirus outbreak on aircraft carrier
as soon as i heard this story i figured it'd be the case. he undoubtedly knew he'd be relieved.

He had to be relieved. There is a chain of command, and you don't go giving press statements without authorization.

That said, he definitely had to sound the alarm, as it seems no one gave a shit.

He may have done wrong by the book, but he did right by the sailors under his command. They definitely appreciate his actions,:

I'd like everyone to take a good hard look at that photo and then explain to me why our MND issued this command to our Navy?

$1:
OTTAWA — The Royal Canadian Navy is pulling ships back from missions abroad and imposing new rules on physical distancing while at sea as the military prepares to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The danger COVID-19 poses to the tightly packed crews of warships was illustrated this week by an outbreak aboard a U.S. aircraft carrier, which has so far seen at least 93 of its 4,800 sailors test positive for the virus while hundreds more wait for their results.

https://www.delta-optimist.com/navy-rec ... 1.24111387

Our Minister of National Defence has either, never been aboard a warship or has gone delusional again, which is a distinct possibility given his previous claims.

As for the removal of the Captain. Well he might be a hero to his troops for standing up for them and I applaud that since the first tenet of military leadership is or at least should still be "know your troops and promote their welfare. But, the fact of the matter is that as the Commanding Officer of a warship your ultimate responsibility is to the gov't you swore an oath to, not just to the people you command and when you surpass, ignore or override those people and institutions it shows a definite lack of good judgement and professionalism which, is more likely why he was removed.

Telling the world that your currently at sea "capital warship is incapacitated or operationally degraded" isn't exactly what the US Navy or any other navy for that matter expects from it's commanding officers and given this is what this Officer did, can you expect the powers who be to respond in any other manner than removal?

There are 490 warships in the US Navy so I'm assuming that his isn't the only ship with this issue (even our ships are suffering from it) but I'm sure it's the only one who openly told the world about it.

$1:
The ship, which was operating in the Pacific, pulled into port in Guam last week several days after multiple crew members tested positive for the virus. By Wednesday, there were 93 positive test results, and more than 1,000 people were taken off the carrier and placed into isolation on Guam. In total, 2,700 people are expected to disembark the ship this week, with a smaller crew remaining to maintain the carrier

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/n ... 9-n1175351

Robair @ Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:46 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Robair Robair:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Save it.

He's been attacking our industry since taking office. Spewing false info to damage us over and over again.

He's treated us like shit. We've been about as nice as humanly possible in return.

Previous  1 ... 81  82  83  84  85  86  87 ... 533  Next