Canada Kicks Ass
Omnibus COVID-19 virus discussion thread

Previous  1 ... 474  475  476  477  478  479  480 ... 519  Next

raydan @ Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:02 pm

CDN_PATRIOT @ Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:10 pm

Scape Scape:
Canada Health Act doesn't apply to provinces it applies to doctors and hospitals. The question is whether the feds will withhold federal health funding to Quebec in enforcing the Act.

Trudeau won't punish La Belle Province. Keybeckers look out for Keybeckers, and always will.

-J.

raydan @ Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:15 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Scape Scape:
Canada Health Act doesn't apply to provinces it applies to doctors and hospitals. The question is whether the feds will withhold federal health funding to Quebec in enforcing the Act.

Trudeau won't punish La Belle Province. Keybeckers look out for Keybeckers, and always will.

-J.

Jealousy will get you nowhere.

CDN_PATRIOT @ Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:26 pm

I'm not jealous whatsoever. I'm tired of one province always getting preferential treatment over all the others. Needs to stop, immediately.

-J.

Scape @ Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:31 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Scape Scape:

-J.

Jury is out on that but this could set a precedent. Next you could see other provinces citing this as a reason for extra billing. If you smoke, vape, drink all of that could be used on the same grounds. It's a thread on a sweater you don't want to pull least the whole thing unravels. The provinces are always demanding the feds pay more for healthcare and this could have them over a barrel.

raydan @ Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:37 pm

It could be added to this on our Provincial tax return.

$1:
In general, you pay an annual premium to Revenu Qu├ębec for coverage under the Public Prescription Drug Insurance Plan.

Scape @ Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:50 pm

Social media needs to be regulated. The onus not on private companies to interpret the law it's time for law to be enforced upon them. Time and time again private companies outsource to algorithms and bots to enforce terms and conditions. This needs to stop. The algorithms are directly warping the social fabric of society because they are the defacto social square.

The CRTC needs to amend the Telecommunications Act and make any and all social media platform conform to a code of conduct that the cable companies need to comply to in order to be allowed to be carried by Canadian ISPs. We can't block the internet but we can force them to get serious about enforcing sane policy in order to access legitimate Canadian commerce.

DrCaleb @ Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:24 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
llama66 llama66:
Work wants me to get tested, but I don't think I can leave the house to get tested.

$1:
"The Omicron variant is so prevalent in our communities right now that if you have COVID-19 symptoms such as a stuffy or runny nose, cough, fever, sore throat or loss of sense of smell or taste, you should assume you have COVID-19 and are legally required to isolate," Hinshaw said.

"You should stay home and away from others for five or 10 days, depending on your vaccination status or until your symptoms improve, whichever is longer," she said.

"You can take a rapid test if you have one, but for most people with mild illness, a test is not necessary and symptoms can be managed at home."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.6309706

She also said in the update, that businesses should not ask for proof of positive tests as a reason for absence, because the system is overwhelmed.

Employers told to use honour system for sick leave as Alberta limits PCR testing

$1:
"I urge employers and organizations to not require proof of a positive COVID-19 result to support sick leave requests right now," she said.

"Anyone who has COVID symptoms almost certainly has COVID and should just be staying home."

DrCaleb @ Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:26 am

Scape Scape:
Social media needs to be regulated.

Why? People seem to think they can walk into someone elses' home or business and have the right to do whatever they want. Social media is a corporate entity. They set the rules, and if you don't like them, don't participate.

I agree that they have too much hold on people's lives, and that is very much the fault of both people and the actions of corporations. Caveat emptor.

PluggyRug @ Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:05 am

Scape Scape:

Social media needs to be regulated. The onus not on private companies to interpret the law it's time for law to be enforced upon them. Time and time again private companies outsource to algorithms and bots to enforce terms and conditions. This needs to stop. The algorithms are directly warping the social fabric of society because they are the defacto social square.

The CRTC needs to amend the Telecommunications Act and make any and all social media platform conform to a code of conduct that the cable companies need to comply to in order to be allowed to be carried by Canadian ISPs. We can't block the internet but we can force them to get serious about enforcing sane policy in order to access legitimate Canadian commerce.

Scape @ Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:14 pm

Scape @ Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:19 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Scape Scape:

Why? People seem to think they can walk into someone elses' home or business and have the right to do whatever they want. Social media is a corporate entity. They set the rules, and if you don't like them, don't participate.

I agree that they have too much hold on people's lives, and that is very much the fault of both people and the actions of corporations. Caveat emptor.

During a pandemic openly peddling misinformation and then doing a shit job at moderation? I'm not saying there should be a seismic shift in policy but they should at least be subject to the bare minimum scrutiny that we hold everyone else that can hold a license to broadcast in Canada. I'm not talking about facebook, I am talking about Canadian ISP's that carry FB without a cost. Their renewal of licenses to broadcast should be subject to review.

DrCaleb @ Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:19 pm

Scape Scape:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Scape Scape:

During a pandemic openly peddling misinformation and then doing a shit job at moderation? I'm not saying there should be a seismic shift in policy but they should at least be subject to the bare minimum scrutiny that we hold everyone else that can hold a license to broadcast in Canada. I'm not talking about facebook, I am talking about Canadian ISP's that carry FB without a cost. Their renewal of licenses to broadcast should be subject to review.

The Internet was designed to be open and free, to allow the sharing of ideas and information. The Web itself was invented to share information generated by the Large Hadron Collider.

ISPs simply provide internet access, they don't police it. Facebook sharing misinformation is not the responsibility of anyone but Facebook. Hold them accountable for their actions, as anyone else who shares false information is. But don't blame Shaw or Rogers for Twitter and Facebook. Or Netflix. Or Baidu. That's is the Internet as it was supposed to be. ISPs are not broadcasters any more than Facebook is a news service.

Scape @ Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:29 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
ISPs simply provide internet access, they don't police it. Facebook sharing misinformation is not the responsibility of anyone but Facebook. Hold them accountable for their actions, as anyone else who shares false information is. But don't blame Shaw or Rogers for Twitter and Facebook. Or Netflix. Or Baidu. That's is the Internet as it was supposed to be. ISPs are not broadcasters any more than Facebook is a news service.

ISP are a business subject to the laws of the land they inhabit. Just ask the ISP providers in China or Egypt, North Korea or Iran. If they can do it what's to stop us? Don't think it can't happen? Look at how Google has to operate in Europe. Simply put google and all the other media platforms can be reigned in IF there is a financial incentive. Cut access to the market and they will heel.

DrCaleb @ Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:18 pm

Scape Scape:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

ISP are a business subject to the laws of the land they inhabit. Just ask the ISP providers in China or Egypt, North Korea or Iran. If they can do it what's to stop us? Don't think it can't happen? Look at how Google has to operate in Europe. Simply put google and all the other media platforms can be reigned in IF there is a financial incentive. Cut access to the market and they will heel.

ISPs are still not a medium platform any more than paper manufacturers are News organizations. Just because they are the transmission provider does not make them responsible for the content. Google is the content, the ISP is the provider. This is even law in the US, neither Google nor the ISP are responsible for what people say on the internet. Is AT&T responsible for the content of phone conversations? That would be something they do in China and Soviet Russia, because they choose to hold ISPs responsible for users content. I doubt we want to go down that road.

Google's troubles in Europe are multi front, but none of them have to do with sharing misinformation. Mostly due to their monopolistic business practices.

Previous  1 ... 474  475  476  477  478  479  480 ... 519  Next