Canada Kicks Ass
Omnibus COVID-19 virus discussion thread

Previous  1 ... 504  505  506  507  508  509  510 ... 520  Next

DrCaleb @ Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:15 pm

$1:
SARS-CoV-2 is associated with changes in brain structure in UK Biobank

There is strong evidence for brain-related abnormalities in COVID-191–13. It remains unknown however whether the impact of SARS-CoV-2 infection can be detected in milder cases, and whether this can reveal possible mechanisms contributing to brain pathology. Here, we investigated brain changes in 785 UK Biobank participants (aged 51–81) imaged twice, including 401 cases who tested positive for infection with SARS-CoV-2 between their two scans, with 141 days on average separating their diagnosis and second scan, and 384 controls. The availability of pre-infection imaging data reduces the likelihood of pre-existing risk factors being misinterpreted as disease effects. We identified significant longitudinal effects when comparing the two groups, including: (i) greater reduction in grey matter thickness and tissue-contrast in the orbitofrontal cortex and parahippocampal gyrus, (ii) greater changes in markers of tissue damage in regions functionally-connected to the primary olfactory cortex, and (iii) greater reduction in global brain size. The infected participants also showed on average larger cognitive decline between the two timepoints. Importantly, these imaging and cognitive longitudinal effects were still seen after excluding the 15 cases who had been hospitalised. These mainly limbic brain imaging results may be the in vivo hallmarks of a degenerative spread of the disease via olfactory pathways, of neuroinflammatory events, or of the loss of sensory input due to anosmia. Whether this deleterious impact can be partially reversed, or whether these effects will persist in the long term, remains to be investigated with additional follow up.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-04569-5

Scape @ Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:32 pm

Death toll surpasses 6 million for pandemic now in 3rd year

Estimates of the actual death toll range up to 15 million.

DrCaleb @ Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:46 am

Edmonton was forced to drop mask mandates by the Province, last night.

Just went to the grocery store. I saw ONE person not wearing a mask, and they worked there.

Strutz @ Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:15 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Edmonton was forced to drop mask mandates by the Province, last night.

Just went to the grocery store. I saw ONE person not wearing a mask, and they worked there.

That's awesome DrC that people are still using their common sense. I guess we'll see if that attitude continues.

Further restrictions are about to be eased here as well but I have every intention of continuing to wear a mask at work and while in any public place for some time still.

DrCaleb @ Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:45 am

COVID-19 pandemic has brought out the worst in people, pulled Canadians further apart, survey suggests

Strutz @ Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:16 am

Press conference later today and it's expected mask mandate to be lifted tomorrow and vaccine passports in a couple of weeks in BC.

DrCaleb @ Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:37 pm

COVID ups risks of dementia, cognitive impairment, and decline in older survivors

xerxes @ Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:47 pm

Strutz Strutz:
Press conference later today and it's expected mask mandate to be lifted tomorrow and vaccine passports in a couple of weeks in BC.

Yup. No masks anymore as of this Friday and vaccine passports are done as of April 11.

Thanos @ Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:58 pm

It was a lot easier mentally to stop masking than I thought it would be. Kind of apprehensive the first couple of times then after that it was no big deal. Will definitely re-mask if a new variant appears but no huge expansion in infections have occurred (yet) thanks to the trucker nonsense or the activities of the other assorted freedummies.

It is what it is. Gonna enjoy the moment as much as I can while my system is still flooded with all those happy antibodies after my omicron time-out. 8)

DrCaleb @ Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:19 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Will definitely re-mask if a new variant appears but no huge expansion in infections have occurred (yet) thanks to the trucker nonsense or the activities of the other assorted freedummies.

Only problem is, most provinces are also not testing and not putting out daily stats. So there is no guarantee you will hear there is a new variant until it's circulating.

I'm staying with the mask for now.

Strutz @ Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:34 pm

$1:
As provinces remove mask mandates across much of the country, experts say choosing to wear a face covering could be seen as a political statement, with the responsibility to protect Canadians against COVID-19 shifting to individual responsibility rather than a collective effort guided by public health measures.

Kerry Bowman, a bioethicist and assistant professor at the University of Toronto's faculty of medicine, told CTVNews.ca that the ethics behind mask wearing have "really shifted" with the lifting of mandates.

Bowman said in a telephone interview Thursday this could lead to increased tensions between individual Canadians, as well as the general public and governments.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.5813995

DrCaleb @ Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:51 am

Sad that protecting yourself and others now is something that has to differentiate us. :(

I can wear a frilly pink tu-tu if I want. It's not the purvue of others to deny me that choice.

DrCaleb @ Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:08 am

Two years ago today, the pandemic was declared. And people back then said it might take two to three years to come out of it. :idea:

Zipperfish @ Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:42 am

Masks off in BC as of today, and passports will be gone the first week of April. Wouldn't be surprised if 50% + of the population continues to wear them, from talking to folks. I'll keep one handy, but looking forward to not wearing one.

Scape @ Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:24 pm

Walking the dog, no mask. Going on the bus, mask up. Restaurant, liquor store, I'll bring a mask. TBH masks in eating establishments are kabuki theater but at least it kept interactions down and that is where the threat of transmission is. Now that 90% are boosted on the island there isn't anything else that can be done.

Previous  1 ... 504  505  506  507  508  509  510 ... 520  Next