Canada Kicks Ass
Omnibus COVID-19 virus discussion thread

Previous  1 ... 521  522  523  524  525  526  527 ... 533  Next

Scape @ Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:29 pm

Thanks, wife going into shock today was a real bell ringer. gad this shit is hard core.

Zipperfish @ Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:05 pm

from what I can tell, masks and lockdowns slow things down. They do not, and cannot, prevent the eventual spread of a highly contagious novel virus. Given the vaccines do not prevent shedding of the virus, it's virtually preordained that virus will become endemic. We can slow it down; we can't stop it.

So, to my mind, the time for masks is when your system is getting overwhelmed, which would be right about, say, now.

But there are complicating factors. First, the Medicare system was already underfunded. It was having trouble with the status quo before the pandemic.

Secondly, there is evidence that lockdowns and masking actually contributed to the current respiratory illness in children surge. Covid is not the main driver; flu and RSV are. It could be due particularly virulent strains of flu and RSV this year, but I haven't seen a lot of evidence of that. Australia (who, I believe have already been through their flu season, deemed this year's flu's clinically severity as "low." So it could well be that we are now just paying the interest after two years of very low influenza rates.

Isn't it nice living in the middle of a big experiment?

DrCaleb @ Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:00 pm

They don't even throw food in the cage very often. :(

herbie @ Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:10 am

My niece got turned back at the airport today. Was going to California w her husband, they're anti-vaxxers. He's American citizen too, so they let him on the plane. She's complaining to everyone.
I think she should be complaining that he went without her. And it isn't like she had months and months to check out the border rules.

Fucking Trudeau! Join the Convoy 2.0 girl.

Scape @ Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:38 pm

2% is much better than what I was expecting but not going after the cheats seems like the libs are letting sleeping dogs lie as they would rather pick a fight on another topic altogether. Relitigating covid is a political loser.

DrCaleb @ Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:57 am

Discriminatory Attitudes Against the Unvaccinated During a Global Pandemic

TL;DR: Everyone, everywhere presents bias against the unvaccinated.

raydan @ Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:36 pm

Typhoid Mary was put in isolation for about 30 years... today, those that refuse to get vaccinated for deadly and highly contagious diseases have it easy. :evil:

Zipperfish @ Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:31 pm

$1:
Secondly, there is evidence that lockdowns and masking actually contributed to the current respiratory illness in children surge. Covid is not the main driver; flu and RSV are. It could be due particularly virulent strains of flu and RSV this year, but I haven't seen a lot of evidence of that. Australia (who, I believe have already been through their flu season, deemed this year's flu's clinically severity as "low." So it could well be that we are now just paying the interest after two years of very low influenza rates.

Apparently this theory (immunity debt) is now being labelled as disinformation, and being replaced by the "immunity theft" theory, which seems to have a stronger evidentiary basis, at least epidemiologically. Immunity theft is the idea that the coronavirus itself damages the immune system.

Scape @ Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:05 am

DrCaleb @ Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:13 am

Combined Covid and flu self-test kits do not 'prove the two diseases are the same'

Tricks @ Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:08 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
$1:

Apparently this theory (immunity debt) is now being labelled as disinformation, and being replaced by the "immunity theft" theory, which seems to have a stronger evidentiary basis, at least epidemiologically. Immunity theft is the idea that the coronavirus itself damages the immune system.

Seeing people with long covid, I believe that it does for sure.

Strutz @ Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:33 pm

So... I'm just curious. No judgment or assumptions at all intended.

Do others on here still wear masks when in a public place, such as in grocery/other stores or on public transit etc?

I do and I don't give a crap about what anyone thinks about it as it is my personal decision. I just went back to work a few weeks ago (retail) and I am only working 2 days/week right now but I do wear a mask while working as well as wearing one when I go into any stores or other public places. I have definitely noticed a sharp decline in the number of people who do wear one though I respect that without any mandates everyone is free to make their own decision about it.

Caelon @ Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:45 pm

Strutz Strutz:
So... I'm just curious. No judgment or assumptions at all intended.

Do others on here still wear masks when in a public place, such as in grocery/other stores or on public transit etc?

I do and I don't give a crap about what anyone thinks about it as it is my personal decision. I just went back to work a few weeks ago (retail) and I am only working 2 days/week right now but I do wear a mask while working as well as wearing one when I go into any stores or other public places. I have definitely noticed a sharp decline in the number of people who do wear one though I respect that without any mandates everyone is free to make their own decision about it.

We have been erring on the side of caution. We wear masks in public spaces like grocery stores. We still go to restaurants although only a fraction of the amount from pre-Covid days. Where I am more concerned is attending events like going to a theatre for something like a play. The mask does a better job of protecting others from us that us from others. So even if you wear a mask you are still at some risk from the person beside you who is not wearing a mask. Much better than no mask, but still some risk.

I found out the hard way when a few days later when I caught Covid after sitting beside a non masking person who was coughing. My symptoms lasted about a week, but it was close to two weeks before I didn't test positive.

DrCaleb @ Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:58 pm

Strutz Strutz:

I've never stopped. Cloth mask minimum in grocery stores, N-95 if I have to go to the doctors office or for medical testing - where all the sick people gather.

Scape @ Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:10 pm

As a professional hermit I rarely am in the habit of donning the mask however catching the bug I put it on after quarantine for the sake of others. That said, unless I am in an area where immune compromised are forced to attend such as a lab/clinic or hospital I would not opt into wearing the mask in public and would rather just tone down the frequency of leaving my bubble and/or just keep 6 feet from another mouth.

Previous  1 ... 521  522  523  524  525  526  527 ... 533  Next