Canada Kicks Ass
Omnibus COVID-19 virus discussion thread

Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  10 ... 533  Next

BeaverFever @ Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:43 pm

I am SO tired of the Coronavirus hysteria. More people are killed every year by the seasonal flu. More people are infected and die every year from tuberculosis. Nobody’s been wearing masks for them.

For a young, healthy individual living in a developed nation with a robust healthcare system, the risk of death from Coronavirus is extremely low. From what we know of the fatalities caused by the virus, more than 80 per cent of them are over 60 years old, and more than 75 per cent had underlying diseases. And the overwhelming majority were in China and/or less developed countries, with limited access to healthcare. I can’t believe this is actually making stocks indices fall its not rational

CharlesAnthony @ Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:10 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
Patient's pet Pomeranian comes down with the disease in Hong Kong
Dogs get the sniffles too!

Scape @ Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:27 pm

The end is nigh. I have heard the use of corticosteroids in Iran may be the reason for the higher death counts. That it is being used by staff not trained as last ditch.

Tricks @ Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:28 pm

Scape Scape:
The end is nigh. I have heard the use of corticosteroids in Iran may be the reason for the higher death counts. That it is being used by staff not trained as last ditch.

Welcome back. 6.5 year hiatus!

DrCaleb @ Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:53 am

Definitely a sign the end is nigh if we ever saw one! ;)

CharlesAnthony @ Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:06 am

Coronavirus medical staff dance with quarantined patients in Wuhan

The guys modelling the hazmats suits seem to love their jobs. They must wear the same great diapers that the space scouts doo.

Coronavirus: Chinese woman starts dance battle with neighbours from her balcony

N_Fiddledog @ Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:05 am

Scape Scape:

I was going to suggest maybe Allah had something against the Shia. :?

Sunnyways @ Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:07 pm

I put a lot of faith in Dr. Sanjay Gupta, on Zakaria’s GPS today. Apparently, Fauci believes the 2% fatality rate will be the same in the US, so around twenty times that of flu. Will it catch on like flu does every year and infect millions in North America in 2020/21 is like asking will a fire light on the first attempt. Nobody knows. One strategy I’m good at already - social distancing.

Strutz @ Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:35 pm

Wow. Interesting...

$1:
Satellite images provided by NASA show a dramatic decrease in the pollution hanging over China thanks, in part, to the economic slowdown prompted by the novel coronavirus outbreak.

When comparing satellite imagery from Jan. 1 to Feb. 25, scientists with the U.S. space agency noticed significant differences in the level of nitrogen dioxide, a gas emitted by motor vehicles, power plants and industrial facilities, over China.

Images at the link: https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/satelli ... -1.4833713

Sunnyways @ Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:53 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
I can’t believe this is actually making stocks indices fall its not rational

Concern is rational. The market is listening to what it’s hearing from companies and countries, and the message is that efforts to halt the virus’s spread are affecting them. Any company with suppliers in China is concerned, any airline company, any company involved in tourism. Italy is in trouble over this already. Service industries generally may take a hit from social distancing, e.g. restaurants. Our hospitals are bulging at the seams as it is. Where will we put critically ill patients with this infection if they start turning up in large numbers?

raydan @ Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:26 pm

bootlegga @ Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:53 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
But for now even the public figures are scary:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/bill-ga ... hogen.html

83,700 confirmed cases. 2,859 dead. = 3.41% mortality rate.

Fucking Spanish Flu was around 2%.

The big difference is that the Spanish flu killed young healthy populations and was spread through airborne droplets, while Covid-19 is a contact spread pathogen that mostly affects 50+ year olds with weakened immune systems from other chronic conditions.

Saskanna @ Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:37 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
I am SO tired of the Coronavirus hysteria. More people are killed every year by the seasonal flu. More people are infected and die every year from tuberculosis. Nobody’s been wearing masks for them.

For a young, healthy individual living in a developed nation with a robust healthcare system, the risk of death from Coronavirus is extremely low. From what we know of the fatalities caused by the virus, more than 80 per cent of them are over 60 years old, and more than 75 per cent had underlying diseases. And the overwhelming majority were in China and/or less developed countries, with limited access to healthcare. I can’t believe this is actually making stocks indices fall its not rational

But, but, but, if you contract the virus and don't isolate then you can give it to me(senior) and I will likely die.

Scape @ Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:33 pm

Saskanna Saskanna:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:

But, but, but, if you contract the virus and don't isolate then you can give it to me(senior) and I will likely die.

I would add for context here that in the US they only have 90,000 beds. It is the height of flu season right now to they are running at max capacity. So, imagine even 2% of 350 million being sick at once will do to the system? Sure most will be ok but the ones that DO require care will not be able to get it. When that happens the death rate will skyrocket from preventable fatalities. Canada will not dodge this either, hell we can't even keep the emergencies opened in the maritimes and good luck finding a doctor in BC!

herbie @ Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:28 pm

More likely you'll get it from someone who'd rather get paid to feel shitty than call in for an unpaid sick day.
Sniffle, sniffle, hack, hack... would you like some fries with that?

Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  10 ... 533  Next