Canada Kicks Ass
Suicides in Woodstock, not just a FN crisis

Previous  1  2  3  Next

Lemmy @ Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:39 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Lemmy Lemmy:
Okay, then, what in particular causes mental illness at a greater rate in Woodstock than elsewhere in Ontario?

I'm not sure that's the case.

So you didn't have an actual point then. Check.
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
http://www.woodstocksentinelreview.com/2013/01/28/fluoride-sodium-levels-elevated-in-drinking-water

$1:
Fluoride levels in four Oxford County communities were documented to be above the province’s Maximum Acceptable Concentration (MAC) of 1.5 mg/L,

Fluoride is the active component of fluoxetine, which is more commonly known as Prozac.

And what's Wiki say about the side effects?

$1:
In 2007 the FDA required all antidepressants to carry a black box warning stating that antidepressants may increase the risk of suicide in people younger than 25.[46] This warning is based on statistical analyses conducted by two independent groups of the FDA experts that found a 2-fold increase of the suicidal ideation and behavior in children and adolescents, and 1.5-fold increase of suicidality in the 18–24 age group.

Interesting theory. Sounds tenuous though; an awful lot like anti-vaccination hysteria that was subsequently proven to be hooey.

OnTheIce @ Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:40 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Lemmy Lemmy:
Okay, then, what in particular causes mental illness at a greater rate in Woodstock than elsewhere in Ontario?

http://www.woodstocksentinelreview.com/ ... king-water

$1:
Fluoride levels in four Oxford County communities were documented to be above the province’s Maximum Acceptable Concentration (MAC) of 1.5 mg/L,

Fluoride is the active component of fluoxetine, which is more commonly known as Prozac.

And what's Wiki say about the side effects?

$1:
In 2007 the FDA required all antidepressants to carry a black box warning stating that antidepressants may increase the risk of suicide in people younger than 25.[46] This warning is based on statistical analyses conducted by two independent groups of the FDA experts that found a 2-fold increase of the suicidal ideation and behavior in children and adolescents, and 1.5-fold increase of suicidality in the 18–24 age group.

:idea:

Ah yes, another student from the Jesse Ventura School of Pharmacology.

OnTheIce @ Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:43 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Lemmy Lemmy:

I'm not sure that's the case.

So you didn't have an actual point then. Check.

My point was to call out your ignorant comment.As if one factor in Woodstock causes all of this mental illness.

Looking for a cause just shows how little you know on this topic.

BartSimpson @ Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:45 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Ah yes, another student from the Jesse Ventura School of Pharmacology.

I'm sure the Province issued health warnings about the elevated fluoride levels in Woodstock because it's completely harmless. :wink:

Interestingly, at recommended levels fluoride has been demonstrated to have a calming effect on suicide rates.

http://uwf.edu/fbridges/PR%20Suicide%20 ... uoride.pdf

But, again, it's a harmless and inert compound that has no appreciable side effects. :wink:

Lemmy @ Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:48 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
My point was to call out your ignorant comment.As if one factor in Woodstock causes all of this mental illness.

But I didn't make a comment, ignorant or other. I asked a question, one you didn't have an answer for. So who's the ignorant one?

OTI OTI:

I'm aware of how little I know on this topic, which is why I was asking questions. Your rush to toss insults at me must have interfered with your reading and comprehension skills which, granted, are feeble at the best of times.

BartSimpson @ Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:53 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:

But I didn't make a comment, ignorant or other. I asked a question, one you didn't have an answer for. So who's the ignorant one?

OTI OTI:

I'm aware of how little I know on this topic, which is why I was asking questions. Your rush to toss insults at me must have interfered with your reading and comprehension skills which, granted, are feeble at the best of times.

OTI tosses insults at me, too, so don't take it personally. He's an equal opportunity asshole and I respect him for it. [B-o]

OnTheIce @ Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:45 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:

You asked a couple questions, with a comment in the middle.

$1:
I can understand why isolated native children feel that way

Lemmy Lemmy:

Saying that you're ignorant on a topic in which you actually are, isn't an insult. It's a fact that you confirmed.

Back to the topic. Mental illness has a lot of factors. Looking for a cause or one factor in a particular region just doesn't jive with the realities of mental illness.

BartSimpson @ Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:04 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Mental illness has a lot of factors. Looking for a cause or one factor in a particular region just doesn't jive with the realities of mental illness.

Sometimes, though, Occam's Razor kicks in and the already-known issue (fluoride in high enough levels to warrant an official health warning) coupled with the known side effects of that issue - which include increased suicide rates - should not be dismissed simply because you're conditioned to have a knee-jerk reaction to anyone broaching selected topics.

The fact remains that there are a couple obvious facts here and that fluoride is worth a look given that it is a known issue.

I never said it's the cause, but I am saying it's obvious enough that not looking at it is irresponsible.

OnTheIce @ Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:14 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Mental illness has a lot of factors. Looking for a cause or one factor in a particular region just doesn't jive with the realities of mental illness.

Sometimes, though, Occam's Razor kicks in and the already-known issue (fluoride in high enough levels to warrant an official health warning) coupled with the known side effects of that issue - which include increased suicide rates - should not be dismissed simply because you're conditioned to have a knee-jerk reaction to anyone broaching selected topics.

The fact remains that there are a couple obvious facts here and that fluoride is worth a look given that it is a known issue.

I never said it's the cause, but I am saying it's obvious enough that not looking at it is irresponsible.

That's not really factual, though.

Fluoride in water, fluoride in toothpaste and fluoride in Prozac aren't one and the same. There are many different types of fluoride.

Trying to simplfy the topic of mental illness and say because a completely different type of fluoride is in a anti-depressant (it makes up only 18.5%) is just off-base and misleading

Telling people Prozac is fluoride is just a scare tactic.

ShepherdsDog @ Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:16 pm

We're coming up on the one year anniversary of the death of one my son's friends. He was FN, but his dad was also a Dr. He grew up affluent and had a bright future ahead of him by all appearances.

BartSimpson @ Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:58 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:

I never said that.

OnTheIce @ Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:04 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:

I never said that.

Absolutely you did. Just not directly.

Lemmy asked what causes mental illness in that particular town to which you followed with a link about high fluoride levels in Woodstock.

You then followed with a Fluoride/Prokac article and then noted the side effects of Prozak which include suicide.

BartSimpson @ Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:12 pm

I never said that Prozac is fluoride. Fluoride is a component of Prozac and the known side effects of both are consistent with elevated suicide rates.

Woodstock has a known fluoride problem. Woodstock has elevated suicide rates.

It's worth a look regardless of your aversion to the fact that fluoride has known side effects.

If Woodstock didn't have a known issue I would not have mentioned it.

OnTheIce @ Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:47 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
I never said that Prozac is fluoride. Fluoride is a component of Prozac and the known side effects of both are consistent with elevated suicide rates.

Woodstock has a known fluoride problem. Woodstock has elevated suicide rates.

It's worth a look regardless of your aversion to the fact that fluoride has known side effects.

If Woodstock didn't have a known issue I would not have mentioned it.

It would be worth a look if fluoride was tied to suicide, but it's not. Because it makes up 1/5 of a drug that might cause suicidal thoughts, doesn't make it worthwhile to investigate.

Woodstock also has a high amount of sodium in the water.

And the article you referenced was 3 years ago and the current article makes zero mention of the water.

andyt @ Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:52 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:

You know statistics. Clusters happen. Also some suiciding is copycatting, especially among young people. But to dismiss youth suicide as entitlement on your part is very scary. You should take some courses outside your area of expertise. Make you a better economist too.

Previous  1  2  3  Next