Canada Kicks Ass
The 5 'new' types of diabetes explained

ShepherdsDog @ Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:46 am

https://www.livescience.com/61917-diabe ... types.html

Hopefully treatment can be more tailored to the individual now. Most 'type 2s' already produce an over abundance of insulin. Giving them more just encourages weight gain and heart disease.

DrCaleb @ Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:14 am

When I first read a story on this, it made sense. My symptoms are not the same as yours, and not the same as other people I know.

One guy I work with is older than me, and I would call him fairly skinny. Just a bit of a belly, not even 30 pounds overweight. But, he is type 2. [huh]

housewife @ Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:14 am

It would certainly explain a lot

Sunnyways @ Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:14 pm

This Libre system for measuring glucose is a major advance.

https://www.freestylelibre.ie

There’s even talk of a needle free gizmo that will measure it thru the skin.

herbie @ Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:28 pm

No shit everyone's different. The old lady has to do 2 shots insulin a day, plus the 4 Metformins were replaced by 2 of some new thing. She CRAVES sugar and sweet stuff non-stop. Lost maybe 10 pounds since I met her.
I lost over 120 pounds, dropped from size 44 to 36 jeans and fit into a Large Tall shirt for the first time since 1969. Met highschool buddies last summer and they commented "YOU were the fat guy". I'm supposed to take 2 metformin a day and forget 1 most of the time. Starting to HATE how sweet everything is so much I almost puked tasting an old fashioned cane sugar Coke.
My next door neighbour's fat, his feet are black and they've warned him repeatedly about amputations etc. while my feet feel cold all winter, but I can't say for sure if that's diabetes or cuz I smoke so goddam much.

DrCaleb @ Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:35 am

herbie herbie:
No shit everyone's different. The old lady has to do 2 shots insulin a day, plus the 4 Metformins were replaced by 2 of some new thing. She CRAVES sugar and sweet stuff non-stop. Lost maybe 10 pounds since I met her.
I lost over 120 pounds, dropped from size 44 to 36 jeans and fit into a Large Tall shirt for the first time since 1969. Met highschool buddies last summer and they commented "YOU were the fat guy". I'm supposed to take 2 metformin a day and forget 1 most of the time. Starting to HATE how sweet everything is so much I almost puked tasting an old fashioned cane sugar Coke.
My next door neighbour's fat, his feet are black and they've warned him repeatedly about amputations etc. while my feet feel cold all winter, but I can't say for sure if that's diabetes or cuz I smoke so goddam much.

I haven't lost as much weight, but I've reduced the number of drugs I take. I can't stand Metformin. Might was well eat Ex-Lax. Moved from Saxenda daily to Ozempic instead of Metformin. Dropped the statins, glyburide and aggrenox through diet alone. And one small shot of slow acting insulin daily.

And you are right, I used to drink 3 or 4 cups of Timmies before lunch, now it's once a week and I can only stomach half the sugar I used to. I've got a little tingly in some toes on my left foot, but otherwise nothing. My Ophthalmologist says if my eyes haven't degenerated any in the last 10 years he's been scanning them, he doesn't think I'm at risk for macular degeneration. (sight was 20/8 too, with my glasses :D )

herbie @ Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:32 am

$1:
Might was well eat Ex-Lax.

I only noticed that for the first week. Coffee, no problem. I always considered Timmies pisswater and drink 3 cups of Starbucks (black) just to wake up. No more litre and a half of Pepsi every day, it's one can of Coke or Pepsi Zero or flavoured soda waters. If I eat a whole big candy bar watching TV, I get a headache!
But I've recovered a taste for beer! Gotta have a Ricard's Red if I go out for fish & chips. I'm such a big drinker I finished the 6 pack of craft beer I got for Christmas at the end of March...

herbie @ Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:38 am

Do you others find yourself reading the sugar content on every damn label now too?
Grandson was here last summer chugging a bottle of Crystal Pepsi and he'd noticed me checking the labels of everything. That one 500ml bottle had sixty-nine grams of sugar in it. HOLY SHIT!
He's a total jock and now he checks everything too.

DrCaleb @ Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:46 am

herbie herbie:
Do you others find yourself reading the sugar content on every damn label now too?

No. I tend to drink mostly water. Very low sugar content.

I also eat based on glycemic index. Potatoes . . Starch, Carbs, sugar - basically I don't eat them. That's why I can get away with a very low dose of slow acting insulin, and almost no fast acting in a day.

uwish @ Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:10 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
When I first read a story on this, it made sense. My symptoms are not the same as yours, and not the same as other people I know.

One guy I work with is older than me, and I would call him fairly skinny. Just a bit of a belly, not even 30 pounds overweight. But, he is type 2. [huh]

There is a growing amount a controlled studies, not just epidemiological, that are showing the old W.H.O's assertions that calories in are all the same is starting to fall apart. Carbohydrates cause significantly more damage and contribute to metabolic syndrome much more that we first thought. That is one of the reasons people with apparently no or very few risk factors for type 2 diabetes are developing this insulin resistance.

They eat what they think is healthy, whole grains, fruits, little meat, and follow the standard health food guide. Which is actually backwards, we should be limited all carbs and increasing proteins from animal products. One of the reason's I went into a very low carb high fat diet was blood pressure, I have no real health issues, not overweight, exercise regularly all of that stuff but I could not get my BP into normal ranges until I starting eating a LCHF diet. And any form of carbohydrate is sugar as seen by the body, thus many people are starting to develope some form of diabetes because of all this sugar they are eating.

DrCaleb @ Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:52 am

^^

That.

Like the "study" I read recently that should have been titled "Pasta is good for you! (study funded by Big Pasta}".

The Canada Food Guide is equally a joke. "Eat these things! {brought to you by the farmers Big Agra who make those things}"