Canada Kicks Ass
2019-2020 NHL thread (HNIC and beyond)

Previous  1 ... 9  10  11  12  13  Next

Thanos @ Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:27 pm

Montreal, Vancouver, Islanders, and Calgary all won today.

Flames won? Again? omg 8O

Strutz @ Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:26 am

Too bad Calgary got eliminated tonight.

The only 2 series left to determine are the Vancouver-St. Louis and the Montreal-Philly ones. Both playing game 6's on Friday.

Thanos @ Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:33 am

Strutz Strutz:
Too bad Calgary got eliminated tonight.

"It was like watching a small animal being tortured" - Zipperfish

Terrible team, terrible organization, the place where hopes come to die - that's all anyone needs to know. I've seen them lose far too many times over the years but tonight is one of the few times I can genuinely say that I'm disgusted by what I saw on the ice. That performance was completely unforgivable on every level. :evil:

Strutz @ Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:00 am

I was surprised at just how dominant Dallas was against them. I thought for sure that Calgary was going to move forward.

Thanos @ Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:33 am

I need outsiders to explain it to me because no one here can figure out why this happens over and over and over again year after year. I mean, it's not like the owners are egomaniac psychos like Melnyk is Ottawa, sabotaging his own team on purpose just to show everyone he's the boss. There's financial parity now, has been for the last decade or more, and it's not like the Flames owners try to gyp out on the contracts. And these guys would get the same money if they were playing elsewhere.

I've got it down as some sort of curse. If not on this sad declining city then just on the team. Maybe something that got put on the team way back when they were still in Atlanta. Or Doug Gilmour hired a sorcerer to put a hex on them when they stabbed him in the back and he demanded to be traded back in 1993. I have no other explanation for why this is such a persistent affliction for this organization. This shouldn't be happening but it happens anyway. Like, fuck. :|

Thanos @ Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:12 pm

I really don't want to cheer for Vancouver. But c'mon Canuckleheads! The Habs got bounced tonight so you're our only team left! :rock:

Strutz @ Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:52 pm

Wow. What a game!

Too bad about Montreal. I was hoping they would push to a game 7.

Anyway, round 2 begins tomorrow. Kind of an advantage with the whole situation that they can just go ahead and get started right away without having to consider travel arrangements,etc.

Round 2 match-ups:

Vancouver - Las Vegas
Colorado - Dallas
NY Islanders - Philadelphia
Tampa Bay - Boston

Strutz @ Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:43 pm

Well, Tampa Bay took Boston out in 5.

The other 3 match-ups are all heading into game 7's as Colorado, Philadelphia and Vancouver all came back from 3-1 to tie up their series. 8O

Vancouver and Philly were both grossly out-shot yet both won tonight. Unreal goaltending was the factor tonight for sure.

Thanos @ Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:53 pm

4-0 shutout against THAT team? Jayzus! Nice work, Canuckleheads! wOOt! 8O [B-o]

Strutz @ Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:42 pm

Thanos Thanos:
4-0 shutout against THAT team? Jayzus! Nice work, Canuckleheads! wOOt! 8O [B-o]

Yes, it was rather awesome tonight.

The shots were 48-23 for Vegas. 8O

Game 7 tomorrow... oy

rickc @ Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:56 pm

Well I am glad that my Knights are advancing. I feel bad for Demko though, that guy played his ass off!!! Its tough to play that good and still come up short.

Thanos @ Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:22 pm

Damn. It's official. Canada sucks at playoff hockey. :evil:

xerxes @ Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:12 am

rickc rickc:
Well I am glad that my Knights are advancing. I feel bad for Demko though, that guy played his ass off!!! Its tough to play that good and still come up short.

Demko has nothing to feel about about. He played his ass off for two games and it was his team that let him down.

Strutz @ Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:46 am

Thanos Thanos:
Damn. It's official. Canada sucks at playoff hockey. :evil:

If you go through the rosters of the teams left you'll see the majority of players are Canadian. On an international level Canada rocks at hockey. :rock:

I get what you're saying though but consider that of the 31 teams in the NHL only 7 are based in Canada. Less than 25% so not unreasonable that no Canadian team will be in the final 4.

Though, damn it, I wish! So close... oy.

On the bright side, because of the entire playoffs taking place in Canada, our national anthem will be played before every game anyway. :wink:

Thanos @ Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:05 pm

Hope lives in Vancouver, and sorta-lives in Montreal & Winnipeg. Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto are all back to being stagnant, and Ottawa is so terrible that they might as well be in the minor leagues. Maybe the secret is to cut a deal with an American billionaire to buy Canadian teams but promise to keep them here because it looks like Canadian ownership has no idea how to build a winner, not even more than a decade after financial parity was achieved.

Previous  1 ... 9  10  11  12  13  Next