Canada Kicks Ass
Flames continue Bill Peters investigation

xerxes @ Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:43 pm

As Flames continue Bill Peters investigation, firing seems the only outcome

$1:
BUFFALO — Brad Treliving has spoken to the accuser and the accused, the league and team management.

He’s spoken to former players, current players and anyone else he figured would help him navigate through the unenviable position of determining Bill Peters’ fate.

Given the explosiveness of the racial allegations made by former player Akim Aliu against Calgary Flames coach Bill Peters, and the cloud that will heretofore follow the coach and the Flames as long as they employ him, the conclusion seems obvious.

Alas, it’s clearly not that cut and dried.

Despite the fact Peters was not on the ice for Flames practice in Buffalo Tuesday afternoon, the Flames GM insisted his investigation is ongoing.

“Bill has not been relieved of his duties,” Treliving told reporters.

“We are continuing this ongoing investigation right now. We hope to have this completed quickly, but it has to be thorough. It has to be thorough and it has to be done correctly. I’m not about to comment on anything halfway through or give tidbits or give sound bites at this point, other than to say the serious nature of this is not lost on us. We take it with extreme seriousness.

“This is a subject matter that has no place in our organization. Throughout the evening last night and into this morning, we were starting an investigation into the incident. The purpose of me coming to you here today is we have not completed that. We’re trying to be as transparent as possible and to update you.”

Being thorough and fair is indeed what everyone would hope their employer would extend to employees of all walks of life.

There are endless legal ramifications surrounding the situation, let alone moral guides.

The Flames GM spoke to Aliu late Monday to get details of what allegedly transpired before a morning skate 10 years ago between Aliu and Peters in Rockford. Aliu told Sportsnet.ca Tuesday morning he took the call “out of respect.”

A man of many enemies as an old-school coach, Peters clearly had one too many, leading to a series of tweets and interviews from Aliu that has painted the sixth-year bench boss in a horrific light.

Peters has yet to comment publicly, as the Flames wisely shielded him from the media following the team’s loss in Pittsburgh after Aliu took to Twitter to share his story.

“Dropped the N bomb several times towards me in the dressing room in my rookie year because he didn’t like my choice of music,” Aliu tweeted. “First one to admit I rebelled against him. Wouldn’t you? And instead of remedying the situation, he wrote a letter to John McDonough and Stan Bowman to have me sent down to the ECHL. 20 year old on pace for 20 goals in his first pro year with zero PP/PK time was off to a great start in his pro career.”

Weeks later Aliu was indeed sent down to the ECHL.

There are two sides to every story, but how the Flames can spin a positive response to this is anyone’s guess.

A straight denial seems like it wouldn’t cut it. Taking the moral high ground seems the only thing to do.

Then again, what’s also morally correct is giving Peters the benefit of the doubt until a thorough investigation is complete.

You can imagine the league would certainly have a hard time with the situation moving forward status quo, reminding fans earlier in the day, “The behavior that has been alleged is repugnant and unacceptable.”

It seems just a matter of time before the Flames feel it’s simply easier to move on, even if that means buying out the rest of Peters’ contract and citing his failure to coach the team to a winning record 26 games in.

Happens all over the league every year.

The fact that the Flames have lost seven of their last eight would make that narrative easier.

Where it would leave Peters would be unfortunate, which is why even the coach’s harshest critics have to admire the Flames’ decision to shortchange expediency with an eye on doing Peters and the situation right.

Just a handful of days earlier Treliving had given Peters a vote of confidence despite the club’s six losses in a row.

The rationale was that, unlike the Toronto Maples Leafs’ decision to turf Mike Babcock after an identical free fall, the Flames couldn’t keep turning over coaches like they have of late.

For those keeping track, that’s three coaches Treliving has signed and fired in the past five years – hardly a recipe for stability.

Prior to these allegations, many figured a Peters firing would ultimately coincide with a Treliving ousting, as few GMs get three coaching mulligans.

Alas, on this set of mitigating circumstances Treliving would ultimately get a pass.

Treliving was signed to a contract extension last month, giving him plenty of rope.

The Flames’ community-minded ownership group most certainly cringed at having to deal with the topic in its own organization – a team that was led for the better part of two decades by captain and Hall of Fame-bound Jarome Iginla.

Aliu, now 30, was a Flames prospect for several years after the alleged incident between him and Peters while the coach oversaw Chicago’s affiliate in Rockford of the AHL.

Peters was brought in by the Flames in the summer of 2018 to be harder on the players than Glen Gulutzan was in Calgary over the previous two seasons.

The idea was that he wouldn’t be quite as hard, though, as Gulutzan’s predecessor Bob Hartley.

Clearly, the old school way of coaches manipulating players by way of power games and intimidation is on the wane.

Players make too much money to be bullied by coaches of any tenure.

In the hours following last night’s allegations by Aliu, Sportsnet.ca has received several stories from players who did not appreciate Peters and his ways.

Now is not the time to pile on.

It’s important to note, none of the other stories involve racist claims.

On Tuesday, other former players of Peters’ shared their stories on social media, including Sean McMorrow, who played for Peters in Rockford in 2008-09.

“If you think Mike Commodore had harsh words for Babcock you are in for a treat to hear what I would have to say about Bill Peters,” he posted on Twitter.

“Worst human being to ever coach me … treated me terrible on a AHL team (IceHogs) where I won a League Award for Community Service.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-continue-bill-peters-investigation-firing-seems-outcome/

Everyone: "Wow. Babcock is a piece of shit."
Bill Peters: Hold my beer.

Thanos @ Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:54 pm

Yeah, this is bad. I wonder if something was going on in the locker-room, that the guys all tuned Peters out altogether because they knew this was about to happen. Terrible situation for everyone.

Martin15 @ Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:50 pm

If you are going to fire Peters because he has lost the coaching touch like Babcock did,
then just fire him and be done with it.

But to use as an excuse, something he said about music 10 years while he was working
in a completely different league, well that's just retarded.

Sunnyways @ Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:29 am

From the article:

$1:
Clearly, the old school way of coaches manipulating players by way of power games and intimidation is on the wane.

Players make too much money to be bullied by coaches of any tenure.

This is happening across pro sport.

llama66 @ Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:00 am

Martin15 Martin15:
If you are going to fire Peters because he has lost the coaching touch like Babcock did,
then just fire him and be done with it.

But to use as an excuse, something he said about music 10 years while he was working
in a completely different league, well that's just retarded.

This is the attitude de jure. X years ago I was slighted, I'm going to bring it up when I think it benefits me. Aliu should have spoke then. Still, Peters should not have said what he said.

I believe that both Peters and Babcock are done in the NHL... At least for the foreseeable future.

What a month, Cherry, Peters and Babcock all disgraced and cast out. So begins the new NHL...

N_Fiddledog @ Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:17 am

llama66 llama66:
What a month, Cherry, Peters and Babcock all disgraced and cast out. So begins the new NHL...

It's almost like hockey is under attack, isn't it? Gee, I wonder who by. [huh]

And remember how a week or so ago the Leaf's GM all of a sudden found himself pressured into a situation where he's virtue signalling about what a great diversity hirer his organization is? And apparently that's news now.

Also...coincidentally, this month there's news of some sort of new transexual hockey league. The THL, maybe.

Thanos @ Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:59 am

And he's gone:

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey ... 53565c7541

There was really no other option, not with third-party witnesses confirming that the incidents occurred. Damn shame really. :|

Martin15 @ Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:13 pm

Thanos Thanos:
And he's gone:

There was really no other option, not with third-party witnesses confirming that the incidents occurred. Damn shame really. :|

Have to wonder who is next for the 'well something something 10 years ago with a different company' SJW sweepstakes.................

llama66 @ Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:33 pm

Well we know Trudeau can't win.

Thanos @ Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:41 pm

llama66 llama66:
Well we know Trudeau can't win.

But he did win though. Last in number of active brain cells but certainly first in the hearts of his followers. :lol:

llama66 @ Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:01 pm

But he seems to luck out in the "lets destroy a man for stupidity 10 years ago" sweepstakes.

Strutz @ Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:11 pm

Martin15 Martin15:
Thanos Thanos:
And he's gone:

Have to wonder who is next for the 'well something something 10 years ago with a different company' SJW sweepstakes.................

Stay tuned. I'm sure there will be another.

Martin15 @ Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:09 pm

llama66 llama66:
But he seems to luck out in the "lets destroy a man for stupidity 10 years ago" sweepstakes.

Strutz Strutz:
Martin15 Martin15:

Stay tuned. I'm sure there will be another.

Oh it could easily be.. all of them. I'll say for 100%, in the 3-4 top levels of hockey....

NHL
AHL

QMJHL
OHL
Western hockey League

ECHL
BCHL
USHL
and on and on and on

there won't be a single coach, assistant coach, GM or President who is 'clean'
according to this new wave of 'all rich white boys' PCSJW fascist thuggery.

Hockey can get woked, but then everyone may as well hang up their skates.. right now.