Canada Kicks Ass
Again, Gun Control!

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Madman @ Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:39 am

like it or not , alot of the fraser institue # are accurate, i dont see the problem with much of their stuff,

enfroce the laws we got, I totally agree, you should educate yourself on the existing laws, they are pretty hefty, but the judcial system is full of spinless morons who wont lockl these people up, I think we agree here

you/I simply do not know if the changes you think will or will not work.
considering 92% on handguns are illegal that are used in violent crimes, you are talking about very few incedents that your idea will even address, and as seen in other countries, that crime will just be displaced by other types

guns do not make people bad, and go kill someone, if anyone actually beleives that you need to start taking your pills

On the assault weapons thing, it has lifted now, lets see what happens,
this is a little something for you

Here are some stats from the FBI that indicate that assault rifles are not NEARLY as menacing to society as hammers are. Not that the figures posted include all rifles, not just the scary looking ones banned by the assault weapons ban:

Since 1991, the number of privately owned firearms in the U.S. has increased by about 50 million (with a surge of handgun purchases after 9-11-01), the number of right-to-carry states has increased from 15 to 37, and violent crime has decreased every year (source). According to this, only 1 out of every 34 murders from 96-2000 that used a firearm was a rifle. Might I add that 7,190 more people were killed with knives than rifles, and 1,088 more people were killed with blunt objects such as hammers than rifles. 2,104 more people were killed in FIST fights. Punching, kicking, shoving killed 2,104 more people than rifles from 96-2000.

something to digest, the ideas you have about banning guns are not very well founded in reality, most people use them for perfectly legal uses, just like hammers, baseball bats,.........

maybe we sould lock everbody up in padded rooms so no one can kill anyone or themselves, then nobody will die

people kill people, no one will ever stop it, cirtainly not by banning things, want better results try education, social skills, good morals.. thaT will have a much better chance

Madman @ Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:43 pm

here is some more reading for you

http://www.ncpa.org/pi/crime/pd061099b.html

http://www.whitakeronline.org/050899.htm#second

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1566715.stm

http://www.lufa.ca/

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~confiles/overseas.html

more from your favorite people

http://www.ncpa.org/iss/cri/2002/pd040102f.html

Madman @ Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:06 pm

I actually own BFC, have seen it many times, has some good points some are misleading, put out of context... if you take it for face value, your a fool, there alot to sift out in it

#1 UK firearm homocide went up post gun control, sort of like capitol punishment, it actually increases the crimes it is intended to control in alot of situations

The US is just F$%^'d, they may need help, their firearm homocide rate is way out of whack, as pointed out BFC, the fear that is pumped into them is not healthy, but thats them, not canada, our firearm ownership is about half of theirs, again BFC is misleading about that too. Their society has put presedence on revenge, and the like to the point of gross overkill, the majority of homocides are with firearms in the states, but their murder rate is not that much higher than normal, the reasons i think are social, not all about the gun.

what about the swiss, they own alot of guns, not much gun control there, and their firearm homocide rate is very low, whats your point?

Madman @ Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:43 am

$1:
1. Ban Guns except for single shot rifles for hunting and farmers or even collecting. (will never happen so don't hyperventalate)
2. Mandatory military service for youths after high school graduation for 6 or ten months.(in this you will be trained in non-lethal defenses)
3. Boot camp for out of control kids.
4. Put an end to the ban of other forms of defense. (it is so stupid to me that one can buy a gun which kills and they cannot purchase something as simple as pepper spray, we have it in the house)
4. Enforce and increase the penalty for gun related crimes.
5. Protect our borders like the Americans do in the war on terror.
6. Continue to bridge the gap between the very wealthy and the very poor by properly funding such things as health care, education and in particular post secondary education. Most people would be shocked to find out that countries like Egypt offer university education for about $200 pounds a year.

1) your right will never happen, beside the point its political suicide, its illogocal IMHO(and the opinions of most i would like to think)
2) I acctually think this could be a OK, but then again you can't put everyone in the military, its not safe at all, 2nd what do you think the armed forces do? slap people?
3)sure, I really like this one!, but who would be the judge of who is out of control?
4)yep, then you will also need laws for the impending mis use of it, Think about this, I want to hit a bank, 5 guye go in and bear spray everybody, while wearing mask, alot quicker and quiter that guns, than agian you can get pepper spray any day, easier than guns or ammo its just illeagal to use, like its illegal to shoot someone, this opens up a can of worms, "I really thought he was going to rob me your honor" as in a panic she/he sprays the entire crowd in a subway station. As someone who has trained, and been the trainer in self defense seminars, unless you have practiced alot with that stuff, in a panic you will screw it up, maybe even spary yourself. further alot of petty crimes are commited by druggies, and pepper spray may just piss them off.

4(yes the secoind one!!!) Not the laws fault, take a look at the potential sentences, you shoot someone with a handgun, well lets see,illegal transport(ie without ATT), having a loaded firearms, concealing a gun, 1st degree murder, illegal posesion(92% chace its not a legal gun)...
serve the max senteces for that sequentially, your not seeing sun for the rest of you days. our justice systems are full of problems, common law gone amuck

5)yup

6)our country needs alot of reform to get there, may not be possible, this is a whole different issue

figfarmer @ Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:38 pm

There are more crimes committed with steak knives than with rifles or shot guns. Ban steak knives before you talk to me about pissing around with my gun collection.

If you ban everything but single shot rifles there are going to be bears in every back yard.

Ralph @ Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:32 pm

More people are killed with drunk drivers every day in Canada we already have registration of automobiles and still we can’t get these killers behind bars for very long, if at all.
If you could assure me that all the criminals would line up and register there guns then it would be fine with me to go after farmer brown and his 12 gauge shotgun.

Madman @ Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:11 am

1)yep

2)actually hand to hand is now optional, they would start with basic infanteering(I believe, i know hand to hand(close quarters battle[CQB]) is not part of basic any more)

3)fair enough, maybe a military style boot camp would work better, then actuaklly allow them to use their boot literally

4)Who is legally carting guns around, thats just plain illegal(very rare exception, very very very... rare), they are supossed to be locked up at home to be legally possed(restricted firearms that is)

Madman @ Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:48 pm

god no, people would need alot of manditory training and testing, and 100% clean record, lots of tests and a damn good reason, society does not need that

Ralph @ Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:43 pm

Here is a question How many of us have a firearm permit?..yes
How many have a firearm of any kind?..yes

Madman @ Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:21 am

yep to both

Previous  1  2  3  4  Next